Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/29/2010 11:19:11 AM EDT
I recently purchased an arsenal SLR 95 and first trip to the range she shot high and left at 50 yards (which is my favorite range to shoot my 7.62x39  AK's). Tried my Tapco sight tool and couldn't budge it for windage or elevation. Soaked the front sight in WD40, and was then able to move it for windage with the tool but only after soaking a whole week. I then exerted too much pressure and bent the Tapco el-cheapo tool like a rubber band when trying to screw down the post for elevation. Next I tried a home made sight tool that my father made years ago when I got into SKS rifles, and it did the same. I was really afraid I was gonna break the post off, glad it was the Tapco wrench instead. I'm gonna soak it in Liquid wrench next, and order another tool but I'm really afraid I'll break the sight. The sight nor the gun is rusted or corroded.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 11:22:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I seem to remember Kvar coming out with one this year.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 11:41:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought an NC Star one from Midway and has worked good for me but I think it is pretty similar to the Tapco one though.

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 11:49:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Look on the EE and Gunbroker.com

There, you will find the ones made in China .. super heavy duty and the only way to fly! I have my own
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 12:06:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Use a small socket to press the inner part, a large socket to support the opposing side, and a vice to squish the whole thing. Move it back and forth until its easy enough to do with your hand tool. Thats how I've loosened mine in the past.

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 12:14:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I have tried a bunch of different ones. The magnamatic is the best.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 12:29:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Use a small socket to press the inner part, a large socket to support the opposing side, and a vice to squish the whole thing. Move it back and forth until its easy enough to do with your hand tool. Thats how I've loosened mine in the past.

Windage not the problem, it's the small vertical post for elevation.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 12:52:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have tried a bunch of different ones. The magnamatic is the best.

Did a search on the Magnamatic, looks like it's the bomb. Comparing this tool to the Tapco POS is like comparing a Snap-On or Craftsman to a Harbor Freight or Globemaster. Thanks for the input, with (5) AK's it's a must for me.. Should work on SKS rifles too.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 1:58:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Run, do not walk to the EE and get a set of the armorer's tools from member "nealstang".
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 2:35:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Look on the EE and Gunbroker.com

There, you will find the ones made in China .. super heavy duty and the only way to fly! I have my own

This is what I use for stubborn front sights. They are also available at polytechparts.com
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 2:52:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I broke two  el cheapo tools before I bougt this one. My post would not move at all, then when I got this one I got it moved no problem. I know it's kinda pricey, but this thing is built solid. I like it.  http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=17066&cat=368&page=1
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 4:03:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the norinco/polytech tool. It was my preferred sight tool unitl i got the magnamatic. .
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 4:29:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have the norinco/polytech tool. It was my preferred sight tool unitl i got the magnamatic. .

It does look like a nice unit. Also looks easier to use than the Poly Tech. I think I'll have to order one.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 2:50:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It does look like a nice unit. Also looks easier to use than the Poly Tech. I think I'll have to order one.

Came in the mail today. Very nice. Looks like it will work on the SKS also. (Haven't tried it on the Yugo 59/66 though.)
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:25:46 AM EDT
[#15]
I bent the Tapco tool as well when trying to move the elevation adjustment.   They really are garbage.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:40:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Buy this and don't look back:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=188813532

The tool you probably had that broke is on the right, the one in the auction is pictured on the left.  

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/188813000/188813532/pix2136336375.jpg

I bought one of these, then my local gunsmith bought one when he saw mine, too.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:04:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Ace Hardware

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:16:50 PM EDT
[#18]
"Kroil," left overnight, might help some of these problems.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top