User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2010 8:22:31 AM EDT
Who sells them?
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 10:21:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never heard of a threaded trunion.  Whats threaded?  What country is it from?

The only barrels I know of that thread into the receiver are the Russian and Hungarian (maybe some Bulgys too) ones that haven't been made since the late 1950's.

Any info on your trunion?  That might help people point you in the right direction.
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 8:53:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Yugos used them as well.  My milled M64 has a threaded barrel.  One of the things that differentiate it from my milled M70, which has a press and pin barrel.
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 8:56:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've never heard of a threaded trunion.  Whats threaded?  What country is it from?

The only barrels I know of that thread into the receiver are the Russian and Hungarian (maybe some Bulgys too) ones that haven't been made since the late 1950's.

Any info on your trunion?  That might help people point you in the right direction.

A trunnion made to accept a threaded barrel, opposed to a press and pinned barrel like most AK's.  I don't have one, but I'm just curious if anybody sells them or makes them.
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 9:11:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 9:17:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am under the impression that threaded barrels were only found in earlier milled (maybe Type 1 stamped?) rifles.

I do not believe there is any source for them. I'm sure custom work could be done if you have the cash.

The type 1 to type 3 have trunnions made to accept threaded barrels. A lot of commercial copies of milled rifles are virtually all press and pinned.

Link Posted: 8/18/2010 4:35:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am under the impression that threaded barrels were only found in earlier milled (maybe Type 1 stamped?) rifles.

I do not believe there is any source for them. I'm sure custom work could be done if you have the cash.

The type 1 to type 3 have trunnions made to accept threaded barrels. A lot of commercial copies of milled rifles are virtually all press and pinned.

Type 2 and 3 are milled receivers which are one piece. As such those rifles do not have trunnions.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 2:53:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Valmet ak's have threaded trunions.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 3:04:08 PM EDT
[#8]
They ruin what makes an Ak an Ak...

Why do people feel the need to Alter a time proven design...
when was the last time a pressed "pinned" barrel came out, failed, or caused a malfunction...

Link Posted: 8/19/2010 3:53:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

when was the last time a pressed riveted barrel came out, failed, or caused a malfunction...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/Beastofdurden/akrivets.jpg

Picture fail!

Sorry bud but nobody has ever riveted their barrel in, they are pinned. There's a difference
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 4:17:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Actually threaded barrels are a superior method of installation and if I'm not mistaken there have been a few military AK variants over the years that have barrels threaded into the receivers or trunnions.  Russian type I, II and III, as well as the Chinese milled Type 56 for some.  So it would seem that for the first three of MK's designs to see production, a threaded trunnion was his preference and we didn't see press fit barrels on Soviet AKs until the introduction of the AKM.  The only problem with the threaded trunnion method is that it is more time consuming and labor intensive to set headspace on a threaded barrel.  Since the headspace is adjusted by screwing the barrel in more or less, the breach face extractor cut and all of the retaining pin cuts must be made after the barrel is properly headspaced.  

With a press and pin barrel arrangement the barrel is can simply be inserted in the correct orientation and pressed in to the desire amount to set headspace correctly, then the only thing left to do is drill for and install the pin.  This method is more common because it is more expedient, not because it is better.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 4:40:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

when was the last time a pressed riveted barrel came out, failed, or caused a malfunction...

Picture fail!

Sorry bud but nobody has ever riveted their barrel in, they are pinned. There's a difference

Pardon my mistake on the word.
However, I was still referring to the Rivets In general. He is discussing a build that would most likely be used with Milled receivers.
Milled receivers are pointless and take away from what makes the AK what it is, and Also makes the use of Rivets Pointless.
Simple mistake in my wording, My mistake.
I've made more AK's Then you've probably Shot.
I Know the Difference.
Regardless, there is no need for a threaded Barrel in an AK.
A Pressed/Pinned Barrel works, and it works Well.
Milled receivers on top of threaded Barrels are pointless and excessive for an AK.

Being informative and trolling.
There's a Difference
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 5:16:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

However, I was still referring to the Rivets In general. He is discussing a build that would most likely be used with Milled receivers.
Milled receivers are pointless and take away from what makes the AK what it is, and Also makes the use of Rivets Pointless.
I Know the Difference.
Milled receivers on top of threaded Barrels are pointless and excessive for an AK.

There's a Difference

You are absolutely right. So when are you going to start being informative?.

And as far as making AK's, here are a few of my custom builds...

ask me about them, you might learn something
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 6:37:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

How does a threaded barrel ruin what makes an AK an AK when the original design had a threaded barrel?
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 6:49:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Picture fail!

I Know the Difference.

There's a Difference

I have milled AK's and I understand they aren't any better then my stamped ones. The reason I owned milled AK's is because they are classic. A press and pinned barrel no doubt works, but having a trunnion that accepts a threaded barrel makes it easier to change out barrels. On the other hand, people have told me you can't find threaded barrels anyways.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 8:56:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Actually, having a threaded barrel makes it more difficult to change out barrels, which is one of the primary reasons for the switch to pressed and pinned barrels in the first place.  It's not just a matter of unscrewing one and screwing in another.  Getiing the headspace correct on a threaded barrel can be much more trouble, and if it isn't a virgin barrel... well, then there is much more to it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 8:58:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How does a threaded barrel ruin what makes an AK an AK when the original design had a threaded barrel?

That was my point above.  The first three iterations of MK's design had threaded barrels, or at least the ones that saw a military acceptance and subsequent production.  I have no idea about his different "experimental" designs leading up to the AK-47.

Link Posted: 8/19/2010 9:23:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Actually, having a threaded barrel makes it more difficult to change out barrels, which is one of the primary reasons for the switch to pressed and pinned barrels in the first place.  It's not just a matter of unscrewing one and screwing in another.  Getiing the headspace correct on a threaded barrel can be much more trouble, and if it isn't a virgin barrel... well, then there is much more to it.

What makes head spacing easier on a press and pinned barrel?

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was my point above.  The first three iterations of MK's design had threaded barrels, or at least the ones that saw a military acceptance and subsequent production.  I have no idea about his different "experimental" designs leading up to the AK-47.

Really, what is your point?

Link Posted: 8/19/2010 9:49:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Press and pin barrels go straight into the receiver.  Forward and back.. its all pretty simple.  I'm sure you know this.

When headspacing a non-virgin threaded barrel, you have to worry about it headspacing as well as indexing properly (as in, the gas port hole has to be at 12 oclock).  This wasn't an issue at the factory because the barrels were installed and headspaced before the gas port was drilled or the gas block and FSB were installed.

To install a non-virgin threaded barrel into a different receiver than it was originally installed in is a bit of a crap shoot.  I honestly don't know what you can do to make it headspace and index properly.  To install a threaded barrel into a CNC warrior receiver they require you to send them your barrel so they can build the receiver specifically for that barrel.

I've never seen a virgin threaded barrel for sale anywhere.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 9:50:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What makes head spacing easier on a press and pinned barrel?

Read what I said above.  A pressed and pinned barrel can simply be pressed to the desired depth without regard to clocking it.  So, if the barrel already has all of the retaining pin locations cut and the breach face cut for the extractor it isn't an issue.  For a threaded barrel headspace is set or adjusted by torquing the barrel to achieve the proper seated depth.  When this is done, if the barrel isn't a virgin, the retaining pin cuts and extractor cut most likely will not be at the correct orientations (generally 12:00 and 6:00).  I’m not too familiar with the threaded AK barrel set-up, so I don’t know if they have a shoulder like other firearms with threaded barrels or not.  If they do that makes it even more complicated because the shoulder has to be cut back to a very precise degree to get the barrel clocked correctly, with the correct torque and the correct headspace.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really, what is your point?

I was just referring to my earlier post where I pointed out that the original three AK designs had threaded trunnions and barrels, and was contesting C-S's assertion that a threaded barrel "ruins what makes an AK an AK".

ETA: Oops, looks like dskeet beat me while I was typing, and did a better job of explaining it too.

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 2:50:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
when was the last time a pressed "pinned" barrel came out, failed, or caused a malfunction...

You need to study more.....

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as01-e.htm

"It must be noted that the original design of the receiver, which was assembled from stamped steel 'box' with large machined steel insert pinned at the front, caused a lot of troubles at factory. The technology (equipment and labor) level of the time resulted in extremely high percentage of rejected receivers due to misformed walls, improper pinning of parts, bad geometry etc. After critical revision of the process at the factory it was calculated that it will be more economically feasible to return to the 'old-school' machined receivers. New, machined receiver was designed by one of factory's staff designers, and after approval by military, it was put into production at IzhMash in 1951, under the same basic designation. "

Milled AKs were produced and issued by the Soviet Union until problems with the stamped receiver could be
solved

http://browningmgs.com/T2T3/Kalashnikov.htm

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top