Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2010 12:13:08 AM EDT
Which is considered a higer end AK47 in 7.62x39, The Lancaster or Century WASR?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:18:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't say anything about the quality of a Lancaster, however, the Rough Rider fiasco and the reports on the guy in charge over there, Chet Durda are not good indicators to me personally.

I have a WASR 10/63, it is reliable and accurate. I have heard that although they do put out some problem rifles, Century's customer service is actually one of the best for replacing or repairing (although it might take multiple repairs) anything you need.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:40:18 AM EDT
[#2]
With the problems that Lancaster has been having, I would go with a WASR. Mine is shoots just fine.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:22:04 AM EDT
[#3]
lancaster is definately more high end. but dont order direct. go through a distributer like atlantic. youll be lucky to get it through them directly
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 10:59:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Avoid Lancaster like the plague.  An entire book could be written about their dishonest, unethical business practices.

Just ask this guy...

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:38:20 AM EDT
[#5]
That's like asking which is worse, a Chevy Vega, or a Chevette. Both pieces of crap. There are other guns far superior, for just a few bucks more on the used market. GARY  N4KVE
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:20:48 PM EDT
[#6]
that is the same experience i had but mine took almost 6 months
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:47:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That's like asking which is worse, a Chevy Vega, or a Chevette. Both pieces of crap. There are other guns far superior, for just a few bucks more on the used market. GARY  N4KVE

Gary, we do not agree on all things, but on this I totally agree.

My reply before reading the thread was going to be that the WASR is pretty much the bottom of the barrel when asking about "higher end" AKs.  While many function fine and many people are satisfied, they are still built to be the cheapest commercial AKs available.  You get what you pay for sometimes.  The WASRs are really a crap shoot and shouldn't be in the same sentence with "high end" anything.  I have no experience with Lancaster but I have read enough to know to stay away.  Many, many issues, both with quality and with dishonest business practices.  They may actually be "higher end" than the WASR on some levels, but I wouldn't risk my money on one.  For the WASR, don't buy one sight-unseen.  They are know to have a myriad of issues so read up on them and only buy one that you have personally inspected to be free of the usual WASR problems.

Personally though, like Gary said, there are better options available than either of these rifles, IMO.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:32:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey, if everyone agreed on everything, the world would be a pretty boring place. Take care.  GARY

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:44:16 PM EDT
[#9]
listen lancaster is a bunch of dick heads. but what the hell are you talking about the 3060 7.62 lancaster is a well made great shooting weapon. i have one with 3k rounds thru it its just breaking in nicely now. awsome shooter never had a hicup. now what what i know about them now would i buy one from them direct no way. but i'd buy another 2nd hand or through a rep dealer.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:58:26 PM EDT
[#10]
another vote against lancaster  http://www.youtube.com/user/MrLockandload#p/a/u/0/iWsNmKVOuoQ  Plenty of companies with good products and customer service.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:06:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Between the two, I'd go with the WASR. I've had two, and both of them worked perfectly... from all the horror stories I've heard about them though, I'd check it out really good before I bought one though.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:06:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey, if everyone agreed on everything, the world would be a pretty boring place. Take care.  GARY

Nah, it would just mean that you would always be right too...

jk  
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:49:59 PM EDT
[#13]
In my opinion, "High End" is not something that should even be thought of when you think of an AK.  AK's are supposed to be rugged and reliable with various types of ammo and magazines.  That's it.  If you want a nicer finish, have it refinished.  If you don't like wood, get K-Var Poly.  Etc... The more crap you add to an AK or the more modifications you do to it, makes the system just that more complicated.  Defeating the entire purpose.

Check out the GP WASR 10/63.  They are built on Romanian receivers and have a Romanian Chrome Lined barrels.  If you have a local gun store that sells them, check to see if the front site base, gas block, and rear site base are canted or crooked.  Keep inspecting them until you find one that doesn't have any noticeable cant in any of those parts.  Don't get hung up on the wood.  That can be sanded and refinished or replaced as well as the over all finish on the rifle.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:01:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
... Both pieces of crap. There are other guns far superior... GARY  N4KVE

Ah Jeeze, you mean my WASR that shoots straight and fires every time I squeeze the trigger is a piece of crap?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:08:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah Jeeze, you mean my WASR that shoots straight and fires every time I squeeze the trigger is a piece of crap?

I know right... the guy has probably never even owned a WASR and believes everything he reads on the Internet.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:10:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^this.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:28:25 PM EDT
[#17]
WASR?...did someone say WASR?...here's mine next to the SGL31....they really are too much fun.  The WASR is about 300 rds in and running great.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:47:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I have about 2500 rounds through my WASR10 and God only knows how many rounds the previous owner had in it before I bought it.  If you get a good one and MAINTAIN it correctly, which isn't that difficult, you should have good luck with the thing.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:32:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have about 2500 rounds through my WASR10 and God only knows how many rounds the previous owner had in it before I bought it.  If you get a good one and MAINTAIN it correctly, which isn't that difficult, you should have good luck with the thing.

The key word here is "IF".

Many do, obviously, but many do not.

They just have very poor quality control.  A measure of a manufacturers quality assurance program is the ratio of good to bad examples of their product.  The WASR is a commercial rifle built in Romania.  The primary customer is CAI and as such the customer gets what they want and are willing to pay for.  CAI's marketing strategy is as always, to sell cheap guns.  Sell em' cheap, sell a bunch and turn a profit because you bought them cheap.  As a stragegy it must work, but that doesn't mean they are selling a quality product.  My definition of quality is a consistant product.  One where you know that any one you pick up at random will for all intents and purposes be just as good as any other.  History has shown the WASR to fail this criteria.  I don't know the statistics and Century isn't going to release it.  But I've followed enough horror stories to knwo it isn't worth gambling my money on.  Sure, I may get a good one, but then again I may not.  I see no reason to take the gamble when there are more consistantly reliable options available.  If all WASR owners were as favorable about their rifles as the last few posters this discussion wouldn't even be taking place.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:45:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it just means you won the lotto & got a good one. It happens from time to time. Congrats! GARY  N4KVE
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:13:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Between the two I would give my money to Century hands down.  The WASR may not be pretty but it is most likely gonna shoot and they are only $365.00 where I live and you can pick one up anywhere in the area of 4-5 states by just going into the store and hand picking one.

If quality is what you are looking for then an Arsenal is the choice if you have the cash.

You don't list your location so I don't know how easy it will be for you to get one.  For all we know you live in California or a state that you may not be able to easily get one.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:24:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Between the two I would give my money to Century hands down.  The WASR may not be pretty but it is most likely gonna shoot and they are only $365.00 where I live and you can pick one up anywhere in the area of 4-5 states by just going into the store and hand picking one.

If quality is what you are looking for then an Arsenal is the choice if you have the cash.

You don't list your location so I don't know how easy it will be for you to get one.  For all we know you live in California or a state that you may not be able to easily get one.

Like I said in my first post, this is really the key to getting a WASR.  Much has been written about their common issues.  Learn what to check for and only buy a rifle that checks out good.  Buying sight-unseen is a crap shoot.  If you weed out the problematic ones then you are probably GTG.  That is the only way I would consider one personally.

Alternately, you could just order one online and save a few bucks.  Just depends on how lucky you feel, I guess.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:40:49 AM EDT
[#23]
My WASR 10/63 is one of my favorite AKs to shoot. I've had ZERO problems with it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 7:10:30 AM EDT
[#24]
I believe the quality issues with Lancaster started with the "Rough Rider" 5.45mm guns. I have not heard of chronic flaws with the 7.62x39mm guns. I have one and fit and finish are superb (almost too nice for an AK) and the two that I have worked with (mine and a friends) have been GREAT shooters out of the box with no malfunctions of any kind and even a properly set "battle zero". I would not hesitate to buy another Lancaster G-kit build. Unfortunatly, Lancaster's "Rough Rider" debacle and their CS and business practices (at least the perception) has ruined the reputation of a company that less than two years ago was considered to be GTG+P on this forum.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 9:12:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Claiming that anything held together by rivets is "high end" is almost comical.  No matter how much you paid for it.  AK's are designed for reliability and functionality.  Fit, finish and other aesthetic things are not really a part of their design, though some people prize those other attributes, pay extra money for them, and call the result an "high end" AK.  I suppose in some manner that is true, but they're not higher-end because they shoot any better.  They just might look a little better (although I prefer refinished cheap wood over "high end" plastic myself).
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 11:06:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I believe the quality issues with Lancaster started with the "Rough Rider" 5.45mm guns. I have not heard of chronic flaws with the 7.62x39mm guns. I have one and fit and finish are superb (almost too nice for an AK) and the two that I have worked with (mine and a friends) have been GREAT shooters out of the box with no malfunctions of any kind and even a properly set "battle zero". I would not hesitate to buy another Lancaster G-kit build. Unfortunatly, Lancaster's "Rough Rider" debacle and their CS and business practices (at least the perception) has ruined the reputation of a company that less than two years ago was considered to be GTG+P on this forum.

Dozens and dozens of people can assure you that the problems with Lancaster's customer service and business practices extend far beyond "perception", into cold, hard reality.

Lancaster took my money, and on three different occasions Chet Durda said "Your rifle is done and shipping tomorrow." Then on my last call with them, the person who answered the phone admitted that not only was my rifle not built, but they didn't even have the parts, and didn't know when they would.  And of course, I had to do a chargeback to get my money returned.

At the very least, Chet lied on multiple occasions.  At worst, one could argue his behavior was outright fraudulent.  And unfortunately, my story isn't only my story.  Many others have variations of the same theme.

Lancaster's extremely poor reputation is well-earned.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 11:17:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dozens and dozens of people can assure you that the problems with Lancaster's customer service and business practices extend far beyond "perception", into cold, hard reality.

Lancaster took my money, and on three different occasions Chet Durda said "Your rifle is done and shipping tomorrow." Then on my last call with them, the person who answered the phone admitted that not only was my rifle not built, but they didn't even have the parts, and didn't know when they would.  And of course, I had to do a chargeback to get my money returned.

At the very least, Chet lied on multiple occasions.  At worst, one could argue his behavior was outright fraudulent.  And unfortunately, my story isn't only my story.  Many others have variations of the same theme.

Lancaster's extremely poor reputation is well-earned.

This Chet fella sounds like Bob from American Spirit Arms.  They must be friends or Chet is an alias.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 12:43:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This Chet fella sounds like Bob from American Spirit Arms.  They must be friends or Chet is an alias.  

Bob has been dead for awhile and ASA is owned by someone else.  Bob sold me an upper in person that wouldn't fire (who claimed his rifles were the best ever made).  I called him and asked what he would do about it and he screamed and swore on the phone throwing a fit. Bob claimed his rifles were fine and that they were made to only fire Federal match ammo (which they would at $20.00 to $25.00 per 20 rounds)  I had a friends father drill the gas port open so it would feed all rounds.  

Even though ASA is now owned by someone else I can not bring myself to ever buy anything from them due to my experience with Bob.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 3:23:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bob has been dead for awhile and ASA is owned by someone else.  Bob sold me an upper in person that wouldn't fire (who claimed his rifles were the best ever made).  I called him and asked what he would do about it and he screamed and swore on the phone throwing a fit. Bob claimed his rifles were fine and that they were made to only fire Federal match ammo (which they would at $20.00 to $25.00 per 20 rounds)  I had a friends father drill the gas port open so it would feed all rounds.  

Even though ASA is now owned by someone else I can not bring myself to ever buy anything from them due to my experience with Bob.

LMAO, I had almost the exact same experience with Bob.  Mine was in person, at the store.  Back then I didn't know much about guns, especially not ARs, so I had no one to turn to.  Luckily I went back on another day and one of the guys working replaced my barrel.  Not one problem after that.  Glad to hear the SoB is dead.  I'll never buy ASA again though either.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:20:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Hand pick the one that seem put together the best. I bought my WASR at a gunshow so I got to choose from multiple dealers and many WASR's.  As mentioned check for cant of the front sight and gas block, check mag well for looseness, and check where the trigger breaks. I found one that passed all three tests and was from the cheapest priced dealer. I have a few hundred rounds through it and I love it. The thing is I looked at and handled a dozen rifles before I found this one and a lot of them were crap. I had one the mag wouldn't even fit in the well but everything else was good. I tried to get the dealer to drop the price since I could open the magwell at home but he would not come down on the price. Hand pick your AK's.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:09:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Which is considered a higer end AK47 in 7.62x39, The Lancaster or Century WASR?

NEITHER -They are both made from new and used parts of average quality.

I f you want a " quality " AK type rifle - get a Pre import ban rifle that was NOT made in the U.S. , or pick one of the Arsenal Inc models.

You could also buy your own parts and have a rifle built by a reputable AK smith.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:09:21 PM EDT
[#32]
I got a WASR-10 on trade a few years ago. It's reliable but it isn't pretty (AK's aren't supposed to be anyway) mine had some trigger slap and a wobbly magwell. A $35 Tapco G2 FCG and some JB Weld fixed both of those issues.

It's my "go-to" gun in the safe, up front with loaded mags ready. I'm eyeballing the ones in 5.45x39 now
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top