Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/18/2010 5:19:32 AM EDT
Looked through the Mag section and didnt see anthing on this subject.  
Anyone have experience with springs going bad on loaded mags?  I have an asortment of different Russian and east European Mags, can you keep them loaded for extended periods?  Also who makes rebuild kits for AK mags

Thanks,
Jon
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 5:26:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Loading and unloading is what wears out springs. So leaving them loaded is fine. There are people on here who leave their mags loaded for 20+ years and then shoot them with no issues. It is a myth that springs wear out from staying compressed, as long as they are used within their tolerances.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 6:07:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Loading and unloading is what wears out springs. So leaving them loaded is fine. There are people on here who leave their mags loaded for 20+ years and then shoot them with no issues. It is a myth that springs wear out from staying compressed, as long as they are used within their tolerances.

this....and no point in buying rebuild kits for AK mags...you can buy new mags for under $10. Just buy a few new mags and store them ,if you should damage one of your working mags, just swap it out.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 6:42:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Also who makes rebuild kits for AK mags

No one.
AK magazines don't fail very often. There's no need to "rebuild" them and market for replacement parts.

Link Posted: 7/18/2010 8:43:37 AM EDT
[#4]
TAPCO makes and aftermarket follower.

Wolff Gunsprings makes replacement springs.  They're sold through Brownells.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 3:45:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This.....

Magazine Spring Madness
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 3:57:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I found four fully loaded steel mags in an ammo box I had packed away 15 years ago. I took them to the range and ran them through my Maadi and Draco with no problems at all.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 5:27:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I stow all my mags loaded. What was stated above, the constant use is what wears springs, not the compression.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:46:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the input.
They stay loaded!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top