Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2010 8:20:19 AM EDT
Im getting a wasr 10 next week, and saw it has the under stock sling mount. I hate that and want to do something like this pic below. Looks like there was originally the mount under the stock, I think I see the empty area. I would also sink it in a little. Is this acceptable? I like to keep it as authentic as possible, im not into all that tacticool looks everyone does. If it was something done do I keep the sling mount under the stock also, since I have extras or keep it off the bottom. I like to run my sling like a single point, using only the rear mount. I do this on my yugo and really like it. But I like using the old original ak slings, not the new types. Still not sure if I will even do it, not sure how balanced it would be that high on the stock, my yugo has it on the receiver and that seems to be a good spot for balance and strength.

Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:13:36 AM EDT
[#1]

Works as a single point with a bit of paracord or a two point with a QD swivel. Simple Uncle Mikes swivel screwed in there.

You could also try the "2-cent loop"

Notch rear top center of PG, loop goes around PG screw

Link Posted: 5/29/2010 6:21:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Is the cord strong enough, for inside the grip.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 6:30:29 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

550LB paracord. Ought to last a while

Link Posted: 5/29/2010 7:03:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Go ahead and move the swivel on your WASR if you wish. Should work fine.

Repositioning the sling swivel on T2s from the bottom of the butt to the side seems to have been a common field modification.  I presume that it was done to make the rifle hang in the firing position when slung around your neck. They must have taken notice at Izhmash, since the swivel on the T3 was attached in roughly the same position but on the receiver, not the buttstock.

My T2 also had the swivel relocated. I moved it back to the correct palace, but you can still see the extra screw holes.

Link Posted: 5/29/2010 7:12:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

People fall from the sky hanging from para-cord.  It holds the rifle just fine.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 8:36:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah but you never know the quality of the stuff sold nowadays, everything is a copy of a copy of a knockoff made in china.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 8:38:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Repositioning the sling swivel on T2s from the bottom of the butt to the side seems to have been a common field modification.  I presume that it was done to make the rifle hang in the firing position when slung around your neck. They must have taken notice at Izhmash, since the swivel on the T3 was attached in roughly the same position but on the receiver, not the buttstock.

My T2 also had the swivel relocated. I moved it back to the correct palace, but you can still see the extra screw holes.

http://www.fototime.com/8AF0601BED20988/orig.jpg

I just happen to have a spare stock I was going to try and sell, but maybe I will try this mod on that one to see how it works, if I dont like it then I wont put extra holes in my new one. I like how it may work, just not sure if the sling will be all up in my face that far back
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 10:03:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

http://www.fototime.com/8AF0601BED20988/orig.jpg

Nice, looks like an early T2 since it has a T1 gas tube.  The hardwood furniture looks to be in pretty good shape too.  Is that a reweld or an ORF receiver?
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 10:21:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Sorry it's off subject but do you guys know if they still sell those stocks, namely the metal collar for attaching to a slant receiver like the mak90?
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 10:54:11 AM EDT
[#10]
dskeet-  It's a reweld of a 1954 parts set.

The GT's serial doesn't match the rest of the parts.  Late production, so I think it's likely that the rifle originally had a T2 GT when it left the factory.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 12:21:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice, looks like a good reweld job.  Who did the work?  I just got a 1955 T2 kit but I have to wait on having it built.  It's difficult since everytime I check the board someone has posted a new pic of a T2

Quoted:
Sorry it's off subject but do you guys know if they still sell those stocks, namely the metal collar for attaching to a slant receiver like the mak90?
Thanks

That piece is actually part of the receiver.  That style of AK hasn't been made since 1955.  When that collar comes off, the inside of the receiver is nothing like a MAK90 or any other AK, so it wouldn't likely work without some serious modification to the MAKs receiver.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 12:23:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah but you never know the quality of the stuff sold nowadays, everything is a copy of a copy of a knockoff made in china.

550 cord will hold up just fine.  I used it to tie down or fabricate all kinds of shit when I was in the Army.  Stuff that put more strain on it than the weight of a rifle.  Never had an issue with it.  Thankfully no issue with the paracord on the parachutes either
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 1:11:13 PM EDT
[#13]
dskeet-  The work was done by "Turbothis".  He's a superstar on the other site, but I don't know if he's around here.

I saw the pictures of that T2 parts set of yours.  Just beautiful.  Nicest one I can remember ever seeing.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 4:39:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Nice, looks like a good reweld job.  Who did the work?  I just got a 1955 T2 kit but I have to wait on having it built.  It's difficult since everytime I check the board someone has posted a new pic of a T2

Quoted:
Thanks

That piece is actually part of the receiver.  That style of AK hasn't been made since 1955.  When that collar comes off, the inside of the receiver is nothing like a MAK90 or any other AK, so it wouldn't likely work without some serious modification to the MAKs receiver.

Ok gotcha, thanks
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 5:04:01 PM EDT
[#15]
One downside  depending on where your cheek rests tis he sling could be in your mouth or close to it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 3:29:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Got my sling mount figured out, this way I can also use the stock sling as a 1 point sling. I bought a mount that has a stud and a nut on the inside, and I had to trim out some stock for the nut inside. Barely missed the trunnion.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:39:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Hey, I did similar on my AMD-65.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:42:17 AM EDT
[#18]
BTW, how does the stud and nut work with the tenon of the stock? Looks like you had to relieve the tenon?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:44:31 AM EDT
[#19]
If you mean trunnion, I barely missed mine. I got lucky as I didnt account for the thickness of the nut when I made my measurements. Actually I think I flattened the nut where it hit the trunnion so the nut locked in great, and has red loctite on it so its there for good
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top