BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/18/2010 2:22:46 PM EDT
at first i was just going to go with CLP, then i thought maybe LSA would work better. i read somewhere (cant remember where) that LSA blows back thru the hole in the dust cover. then i read about people using motor oil.

what do you guys use?
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 2:25:44 PM EDT
[#1]
CLP

I've been considering getting some grease to put on the rails, just never got around to it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 2:36:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Break Free CLP for my WASR-10 and SGL-31
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 2:39:20 PM EDT
[#3]
KY warming liquid.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 2:58:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Lubriplate
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 3:17:19 PM EDT
[#5]
High-temperature bearing silicone grease from walmart.  If it's good enough for cars, it's good enough for my AK.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 3:19:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Grease inside wipe the outside with a oily rag...
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 3:21:29 PM EDT
[#7]

I got this big tube of moly-lithium grease that seems to work OK.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 3:34:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Shooters Choice All Weather "high performance" super grease on rails and moving parts.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 3:38:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I use Breakfree "LP", not the CLP.

I've heard that the "C" in CLP would cause carbon to gunk up.

Might just be old wives tales, but I went with just the BreakFee "LP"
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 3:41:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I've started using Mystic JT-6 spray grease on 'bout everything.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 3:49:53 PM EDT
[#11]
i just use old motor oil in my sks, actually the last time i cleaned it was about 5k rounds ago.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 4:28:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Break-Freeski and Tetraskaya Greasekova on the rails.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 4:32:32 PM EDT
[#13]
The AKs get Mobile 1 10W30
The ARs get CLP
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 4:39:32 PM EDT
[#14]
+1 on the Lubriplate for anywhere metal rubs on metal.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 4:50:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Hoppes 9 oil on the rails and contact points. I use CLP for general cleaning and don't rely on it as a lube for moving parts.

I use that Hoppes stuff for my AR's, handguns, shotguns, everything really. Hasn't failed me yet.

I know a lot of guys that run Gun Butter maybe I'll give that a shot in the near future.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 4:55:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I've had a big old spray container of Breakfree CLP from years ago but I usually use leftover synthetic motor oil and some Mobil 1 synthetic grease I put in some jars
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:11:36 PM EDT
[#17]
What do they use in eastern bloc militaries? Oil or grease?

I use CLP for my AR and Glock, just picked up an AK and will use CLP for the first range trip. I used old mil-surp grease on my M1A.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:27:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I use CLP for my AR and Glock, just picked up an AK and will use CLP for the first range trip. I used old mil-surp grease on my M1A.

I don't know about the grease, they may use it as well, but most combloc countries had oil bottles to issue with their AK's.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:32:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I use a very very thin layer of water-proof grease to lube my rifles.
For handguns, I tend to use standard gun oil, as the nooks and cranies are smaller and hard to get to.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:35:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Grease and Remoil.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 6:20:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Any type of oil to protect the metal .Rails get either Plastilube (has been used on Garands for decades) or any synthetic bearing grease. This type of grease holds up to high temp and has a low affinity for moisture.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 6:23:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Combo of grease and CLP.  Works like a charm.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Slip 2000 weapon lube.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 6:44:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know about the grease, they may use it as well, but most combloc countries had oil bottles to issue with their AK's.

I bought 100 of the little steel AK oil bottles a few years ago when they were dirt cheap.  The bottles that still had anything had what looked like old-school brown axle grease in them.  I've still got about half jar of it if you want a sample.

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:01:35 PM EDT
[#25]
If I need oil, ... RemOil (cheapest price I found was at WalMart)

If I need grease, ... Synthetic High Temperature Bearing Grease (from the auto parts store)

If I need something that won't pick up dirt/dust/etc. (like for magazine insides), ... Liquid Wrench Dry-Lube (it is not graphite so it's not messy, you can find it at WalMart)
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:02:01 PM EDT
[#26]
clp I have some remoil too but havent tried it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:32:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Suplus GI LSA Weapons Oil.

Got some in cans a while ago at a fun show.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:34:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Kellube. Won't burn out with use, won't run out of the gun if left in one position for long periods, won't evaporate, and won't get thick and cause sluggish actions when frozen.
During my own bench tests it's proven slicker than any oil, gun oil or grease I've ever tried. Another plus, it's odorless unlike many snake oils out there today that one can smell coming a mile away.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:46:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought 100 of the little steel AK oil bottles a few years ago when they were dirt cheap.  The bottles that still had anything had what looked like old-school brown axle grease in them.  I've still got about half jar of it if you want a sample.

Interesting. I always thought those were for oil.

I don't remember what the rationale was for using grease on the M1A and Garands, but it was standard. I like grease, it doesn't disappear through evaporation/absorption like oil does. Here's what I used on my M1A.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:56:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
i just use old motor oil in my sks, actually the last time i cleaned it was about 5k rounds ago.

thats because motor oil is designed for combustion abuse,extreme temps, and has detergents for corrosion............a good reason to use it for small arms

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 8:00:00 PM EDT
[#31]
ky jelly
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 8:16:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
ky jelly

Someone already beat ya to that joke
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 9:37:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Breakfree CLP.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 11:23:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
ky jelly

I personally prefer EZ Glide!!  
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 12:44:38 AM EDT
[#35]
I use red lithium wheel bearing grease on all my guns.

Link Posted: 4/19/2010 5:37:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Motor Oil for my AK, my AR-15, and my Glock. Works great
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 9:20:27 AM EDT
[#37]
lucas wheel bearing red grease and clp.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 9:40:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Aeroshell Fluid 18.

It's a very thin, creepy gun oil that's good to -57 Centigrade. It's also loaded with EP and anti-corrosive additives. Its specs are very close to the commie issue gun oil.

The fact that it's $26 a gallon had absolutely nothing to do with my choice. BSW

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 9:50:42 AM EDT
[#39]
I've always used synthetic motor oil on every weapon I've ever owned and never had any problems. It doesn't dry out, is designed for high temps and high friction applications and IMO seems easier to clean the weapon.

All the properties you want in a firearm oil for a lot cheaper than the designated "firearm oils".
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 10:06:23 AM EDT
[#40]
What does everyone think of M-Pro 7?  I use it now I don't seem to have a problem with it.  What is everyone else's opinion on it?
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 10:08:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Breakfree CLP and KY Jelly...
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 10:32:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I've always used synthetic motor oil on every weapon I've ever owned and never had any problems. It doesn't dry out, is designed for high temps and high friction applications and IMO seems easier to clean the weapon.

All the properties you want in a firearm oil for a lot cheaper than the designated "firearm oils".

When was the last time you took the valve cover off your engine and got rain, dust, and mud in it?

When was the last time you fired your engine's cylinders once?

What firearms do you own that have a lubricant pump and plain metal bearings? Liquid cooling with thermostats and radiator?

Firearms have a harder life than engines. They aren't run at a constant temperature within a narrow firing rate.

Think of it this way: Engines last a lot longer than guns do when you consider the gun is only working while it's being fired. Say a gun lasts for 100k rounds before it's shot out. If the time the gun is actually active is 50ms (1200rpm cyclic) , then  the total life of the gun is 166.6 minutes, or less than 3 hours. What motors are you replacing the cylinders on because they are worn out after 3 hours?

Guns live a short, dirty life. Give 'em a chance with a decent lube.

BSW

Link Posted: 4/19/2010 10:47:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
ky jelly

I personally prefer EZ Glide!!  

+1
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 2:14:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

When was the last time you took the valve cover off your engine and got rain, dust, and mud in it?

What firearms do you own that have a lubricant pump and plain metal bearings? Liquid cooling with thermostats and radiator?

Firearms have a harder life than engines. They aren't run at a constant temperature within a narrow firing rate.

Think of it this way: Engines last a lot longer than guns do when you consider the gun is only working while it's being fired. Say a gun lasts for 100k rounds before it's shot out. If the time the gun is actually active is 50ms (1200rpm cyclic) , then  the total life of the gun is 166.6 minutes, or less than 3 hours. What motors are you replacing the cylinders on because they are worn out after 3 hours?

BSW

Last time I checked it was a free country, so I'll use whatever I want.

I've been shooting guns for over 25 years and I've used motor oil on everything from muzzleloaders  to pistols to AR's and AK's and never had any problems and the oil worked just as well, if not better than designated "firearm oils". I was sharing my personal experience on the subject, and people can do what they want with that information.

For some reason you seem to feel as though you need to tell others  what they should be doing with their own property.

Go bark at somebody else.

Link Posted: 4/19/2010 2:58:49 PM EDT
[#45]
double tap
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 3:05:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Ive been using the same thing. I use the stuff at work for breaking in camshafts and it really sticks to metal well. Ive also tried the other thinner oils, but it seems they get thrown out of the action after a couple mags.  The assembly lube stays even after a whole day of shooting.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 3:19:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

BSW

gas motors go through a shitload of abuse.

motors dont run at a constant temp.....not even close. cylinder head temps go through major temp changes. not to mention the abuse that the rings and cylinder walls put on the oil too.  the oil is designed for extreme abuse given some motors rev up to 6-7,000 rpm, some even more. not to mention having to spin at -20 below, before the journals are primed and the motors not even warmed up. motors(cast iron blocks) can sit for months and yet they still wont rust internally,because of the excellent job motor oil does.   I've torn down old motors with 160,000 miles on them and the bores are still like new, that did not happen because motor oil "is not a decent lube"  

most gun oils are nothing but basic sewing machine oil(3-1 oil),which does not hold a candle to motor oil,(regular or synthetic) people have used basic gun oils for decades with no problems too.

motor oil is all one needs, l been using it for close to 30 years, with fabulous results,especially in AR's

Link Posted: 4/19/2010 3:33:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Ive been using the same thing. I use the stuff at work for breaking in camshafts and it really sticks to metal well. Ive also tried the other thinner oils, but it seems they get thrown out of the action after a couple mags.  The assembly lube stays even after a whole day of shooting.

Never thought of assembly lube for a gun, but the properties you mentioned does make sense.  It protects against dry start-up of a freshly assembled engine so it might work well in this application too.  I've got some in the garage, just never thought about it for a gun.

I've never been one to buy into the "snake-oil" marketing of so many of the specialty lubes.  Yeah, there is science behind it all and some lubes may be better for some applications than others but I think some of it really is hype.  I've read up on and researched this subject and that of engine lubes for years and I've never seen any conclusive proof that shows a real world difference that the average owner would notice.  Has anyone ever actually worn out a properly lubed firearm because of their choice of product?  I'm not so sure if I would ever really see a difference between the latest, greatest, high tech, super lube and any of the other quality lubricants mentioned in this or a myriad of other internet posts on the subject.

I've tended to use a variety of different things over the years on different firearms.  I might be more selective with some weapons but for an AK I probably wouldn't worry too much as long as I had it lubed with something decent.  And yeah, out in the field, in a pinch I've actually used used motor oil off the end of my dipstick.  Probably worked as well as half the gun specific stuff I had back at the house on the bench.

With that said, at the moment I use CLP on most of my guns as a general lube and oily rag wipedown but on rimfire rifle actions I tend to favor dry lubes because they tend to run cleaner with less action fouling and easier clean up, for me, YMMV.

Link Posted: 4/19/2010 4:43:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Agreed. Theres a lot of products that claim to be the best lube. But none are the best for every application. Because the AK bolt carrier rides on rails, I would think grease would provide the most protection. you really cant go wrong as long as you have some type of lube for the action.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 7:30:37 PM EDT
[#50]
I only use Mobile 1 10-30 on the internals (except Garands) and CLP on the outside.  Its all I use on my compitition pistols, 3 Gun rifles and shotgun, AK's whatever...and I shoot  an average of 1500 rounds a month in practice and matches.

Some of the top competition shooters in the country use it, and its worked for me for years.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top