Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2010 6:33:54 PM EDT
Hi! This is my first time posting in the AK Forum. What would have to be done to a parts kit in order for it to comply with federal and state laws? Would the fire control group parts have to be neutered? Are semi-auto parts kits available? And finally, what would be the best receiver to use? Thanks
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 6:47:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's a great place to get started.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=4&f=51

Cheers!
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 6:58:22 PM EDT
[#2]
K-var supplies u.s. compliance parts and NDS receiver is the best in my opinion.welcome
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 7:08:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys The Build it Yourself Forum isn't answering many of my questions, though. My basic question is, if I buy a complete parts kit minus the receiver, will the FCG be the only thing that i have to alter? Are the NoDak receivers stamped or forged? Could I use a forged receiver with a parts kit that came from a stamped receiver? Again, thanks for you guys' help
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 7:10:35 PM EDT
[#4]
All (both) of my kits were minus the FCG...which is typically replaced with US parts to lower your evil parts count for compliance.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 7:13:07 PM EDT
[#5]
This is the kit I'm looking at, and it includes the FCG. It came from a stamped receiver (I keep wanting to say lower receiver because I'm so used to AR's haha), so will I be able to assemble the kit on a NoDak receiver? (I'm assuming it's forged)
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 7:27:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Unless you have a reason for THAT PK, I would NOT buy a sanitized kit...normally all of the major parts in AKs to include the stocks (sometimes) are serialized...it's a way of ensuring you did NOT get a (mixed) parts gun.

AK recievers used in kits are typically stamped sheet metal; there are a few milled out there but no real reason IMO to get one.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 7:33:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Unless you have a reason for THAT PK, I would NOT buy a sanitized kit...normally all of the major parts in AKs to include the stocks (sometimes) are serialized...it's a way of ensuring you did NOT get a (mixed) parts gun.

AK recievers used in kits are typically stamped sheet metal; there are a few milled out there but no real reason IMO to get one.

I'm leaning towards going this route and just buying the receiver and receiver parts. Would that be better? I don't care about serial numbers, unless it would be a legal issue.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 7:34:58 PM EDT
[#8]
The most important reason that you don't want that kit is that it has no barrel.  Way too much to chew for your first AK build.  Check the EE for a nice kit with an OEM chrome lined barrel, and build it upon the appropriate NoDak Spud stamped receiver.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 7:42:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The most important reason that you don't want that kit is that it has no barrel.  Way too much to chew for your first AK build.  Check the EE for a nice kit with an OEM chrome lined barrel, and build it upon the appropriate NoDak Spud stamped receiver.

Good catch...I didn't bother to blow up the pic.

Link Posted: 3/6/2010 7:49:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Whatever you end up doing, just remember that you can not have any more than 10 foreign parts in your weapon.
Here's a quick reference to help you figure that out: http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

And that Yugo is a great way to go, but bear in mind that the Yugoslavians didn't chrome line their barrels & the bore will most likely be dark and/or pitted.

Also, if you buy a kit that comes with a FCG, don't use it. Just buy a US made FCG (you'll have 3 US parts this way). Most people go with Tapco G2, they're very smooth & are a great value.

Link Posted: 3/6/2010 7:56:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Whatever you end up doing, just remember that you can not have any more than 10 foreign parts in your weapon.

Here's a quick reference to help you figure that out: http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

So basically, those parts kits are useless. I'm thinking that I'll buy the Yugo barrel assembly, a NoDak receiver, and buy an American-made FCG (if that's possible).
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 8:35:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Quoted:

So basically, those parts kits are useless. I'm thinking that I'll buy the Yugo barrel assembly, a NoDak receiver, and buy an American-made FCG (if that's possible).

I don't think other kits are useless.
The Yugo that you're looking at is from a rifle with a milled receiver. So, if you go with a NoDak Spud receiver (which is stamped), you're gonna have to hunt down a front trunion. Or you could get a milled receiver. http://dpharms.com/ak47yugom70stylemilledreceiverwbulletguide-p-1146.html And bear in mind that Yugos are a breed of their own, so you may not be able to use some parts made for other AKs.
And just in case you decide to go with a kit that has no barrel:
Apex has virgin Romanian barrels in stock. The muzzle threads have been turned down, so you'd have to figure out some other way of putting a muzzle device on it. Not ideal, but an option.

-and-

K-Var also has some barrels in stock:
http://www.k-var.com/shop/home.php?cat=274 . They are also a good source for other misc parts.
One other option might be to buy a Saiga & convert it yourself. They're well made & you won't have to screw around with assembling the kit onto a receiver. And you still get some satisfaction out of it.

Link Posted: 3/6/2010 8:40:20 PM EDT
[#13]
The EG kits and AK's are a "niche" rifle. That being said my matching numbers kit from Apex is outstanding.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 8:49:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think other kits are useless.

The Yugo that you're looking at is from a rifle with a milled receiver. So, if you go with a NoDak Spud receiver (which is stamped), you're gonna have to hunt down a front trunion. Or you could get a milled receiver. http://dpharms.com/ak47yugom70stylemilledreceiverwbulletguide-p-1146.html And bear in mind that Yugos are a breed of their own, so you may not be able to use some parts made for other AKs.

And just in case you decide to go with a kit that has no barrel:

Apex has virgin Romanian barrels in stock. The muzzle threads have been turned down, so you'd have to figure out some other way of putting a muzzle device on it. Not ideal, but an option.
-and-
K-Var also has some barrels in stock:http://www.k-var.com/shop/home.php?cat=274 . They are also a good source for other misc parts.

One other option might be to buy a Saiga & convert it yourself. They're well made & you won't have to screw around with assembling the kit onto a receiver. And you still get some satisfaction out of it.

Thanks for your info! I'm really leaning towards the Yugo barrel assembly, but what the hell is a trunion, and how hard would it be to find one for a stamped receiver and milled barrel assembly?
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 9:04:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

<snip>

Thanks for your info! I'm really leaning towards the Yugo barrel assembly, but what the hell is a trunion, and how hard would it be to find one for a stamped receiver and milled barrel assembly?

The trunion is riveted into the front of a stamped receiver & it's what the barrel is attached to. In the case of the Yugo, they used the same method of barrel attachment for both the milled & stamped M-70 (all other milled AKs are use barrels that are threaded), so you'll have to find a trunion & use an oversized barrel pin.

And I really don't know where you could find a Yugo front trunion. They use a RPK style trunion, which is different from standard AKs. You could always use a standard style reciever & trunion (I think the barrel diameters are the same, but I'm not 100% sure), it will look a little goofy, but it should work.

Link Posted: 3/6/2010 9:21:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The trunion is riveted into the front of a stamped receiver & it's what the barrel is attached to. In the case of the Yugo, they used the same method of barrel attachment for both the milled & stamped M-70 (all other milled AKs are use barrels that are threaded), so you'll have to find a trunion & use an oversized barrel pin.

And I really don't know where you could find a Yugo front trunion. They use a RPK style trunion, which is different from standard AKs. You could always use a standard style reciever & trunion (I think the barrel diameters are the same, but I'm not 100% sure), it will look a little goofy, but it should work.

Gotcha. Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 4:04:47 AM EDT
[#17]
They have Romanian G kits over at Atlantic Firearms for $299. I bought one and they are in good shape, all matching serial #s and original barrel.
However, the disconnector spring in mine was shot and I think they run around ~$3, it's no big deal though as one can be ordered with the other compliance parts. I am not trying to tell you to buy one, just giving you another option.

Edit:
Here's a link.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct807.aspx
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:16:44 AM EDT
[#18]
You could always look at gunbroker and find any ak parts kit under the sun some with receivers and compliant parts ready to go or just a romy kit with everything but receiver.gunbroker has been my toy store for 10yrs now
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:50:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Why not just buy a rifle that is already built?  Do you have the tools and knowledge to build an AK?
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:32:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Why not just buy a rifle that is already built?  Do you have the tools and knowledge to build an AK?

I don't want one that's already built. And as far as the building part goes, that's why I ask questions here
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:38:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You could always look at gunbroker and find any ak parts kit under the sun some with receivers and compliant parts ready to go or just a romy kit with everything but receiver.gunbroker has been my toy store for 10yrs now

Every parts kit I look at has the barrel assembly, which I don't need, because I have the Yugo barrel assembly coming from APEX.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 9:01:15 AM EDT
[#22]
When complete parts kits were available from $50-$168.00 it made sense.  If you have access to a 12 ton press ($130.00) and the rivet setting equipment (expensive to buy $200.00-$300.00) it used to make sense if you were going to build several.  Access to the equipment used to be easy enough when kits were plentiful and cheap, people here on the board used to get together and have build parties.

Having one built by a professional builder use to make sense, prices were low and kits were cheap.

Buying a bottom of the barrel kit at over $300.00, buying all the riveting tools from AKbuilder, buying a US receiver ($80-$100 plus FFL transfer fee), buying all the US compliance parts ($50+) and then building one rifle doesn't make much sense these days when a complete rifle can be had for less than $400.00.  Kits brought in these days have the barrels cut up, that is why the one you posted didn't have a barrel.

Kits with barrels are ones that were left over when kits came in complete for cheap.  Some had pitted or corroded barrels such as some Yugos that were returned by purchasers displeased with sewer pipe barrels advertised as very good. Yugo rifles used with corrosive ammo.  May not have been a chromelined barrel or had regular cleaning.

Some kits are now sold with replacement US barrels.  They are not headspaced to the kit, may not have gas port drilled and may have other areas of the barrel not machined.

Parts kit, receiver and compliance parts will run about $450.00.

Screw build or weld build can be done cheaper but it isn't going to be as nice or authentic.

Do you have access to a milled receiver for that barrel?  Do you know how to headspace the bolt to the barrel in a milled receiver build?
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 9:22:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
When complete parts kits were available from $50-$168.00 it made sense.  If you have access to a 12 ton press ($130.00) and the rivet setting equipment (expensive to buy $200.00-$300.00) it used to make sense if you were going to build several.  Access to the equipment used to be easy enough when kits were plentiful and cheap, people here on the board used to get together and have build parties.

Having one built by a professional builder use to make sense, prices were low and kits were cheap.

Buying a bottom of the barrel kit at over $300.00, buying all the riveting tools from AKbuilder, buying a US receiver ($80-$100 plus FFL transfer fee), buying all the US compliance parts ($50+) and then building one rifle doesn't make much sense these days when a complete rifle can be had for less than $400.00.  Kits brought in these days have the barrels cut up, that is why the one you posted didn't have a barrel.

Kits with barrels are ones that were left over when kits came in complete for cheap.  Some had pitted or corroded barrels such as some Yugos that were returned by purchasers displeased with sewer pipe barrels advertised as very good. Yugo rifles used with corrosive ammo.  May not have been a chromelined barrel or had regular cleaning.

Some kits are now sold with replacement US barrels.  They are not headspaced to the kit, may not have gas port drilled and may have other areas of the barrel not machined.

Parts kit, receiver and compliance parts will run about $450.00.

Screw build or weld build can be done cheaper but it isn't going to be as nice or authentic.

Do you have access to a milled receiver for that barrel?  Do you know how to headspace the bolt to the barrel in a milled receiver build?

Can't say that I do.

Also, I'm not going the route of an already built rifle, so unless you're going to help me, telling me about how hard building one will be isn't helping at all.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 9:34:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Firing line receivers.  Don't know if they will work with a Yugo milled rifle

CNC Warrior milled receiver.  Don't know if they will work with Yugo milled assembly

Could probably use a NODAK spud stamped receiver if you can find a trunnion the correct diameter for the barrel. Since that would be a milled demill it doesn't have the correct trunnion for a stamped receiver build.  Head spacing will have to be done.  Most home builders do not or can not headspace the bolt correctly.

When they buy a demilled stamped kit the bolt is usually a matching part which is already headspaced to the trunnion, barrel, bolt assembly.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 9:44:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Firing line receivers.  Don't know if they will work with a Yugo milled rifle

CNC Warrior milled receiver.  Don't know if they will work with Yugo milled assembly

Could probably use a NODAK spud stamped receiver if you can find a trunnion the correct diameter for the barrel. Since that would be a milled demill it doesn't have the correct trunnion for a stamped receiver build.  Head spacing will have to be done.  Most home builders do not or can not headspace the bolt correctly.

When they buy a demilled stamped kit the bolt is usually a matching part which is already headspaced to the trunnion, barrel, bolt assembly.

The NoDak receiver is the way I want to go. How difficult will it be to get the FCG parts into the receiver? Gone_Shootin posted earlier that there are both stamped and milled models of Yugo's, so maybe a stamped Yugo trunion can be found?

ETA: Thanks for your help
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 9:50:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Putting a TAPCO G2 into a receiver takes about two minutes using a FCG retainer plate.

http://www.novarata.net/Linx310/fcgremoval.htm
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 9:54:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Alright. Where can I find the trigger guard and safety selector? What will be needed besides the FCG, trigger guard, safety selector, and furniture?
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 10:11:22 AM EDT
[#29]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=51&t=126713

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HR3RnBNVTA

Build your own AK

Home builders

You are going to need a rear tang block also to mount a stock, pistol grip nut and screw.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 10:42:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=51&t=126713

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HR3RnBNVTA

Build your own AK

Home builders

You are going to need a rear tang block also to mount a stock, pistol grip nut and screw.

Thanks for the links! Exactly what I'm looking for
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:06:58 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Thanks for your info!

I should add, I learned most of what I know about AKs here in ARFCOM, so I can't take full credit for that.

Thanks though.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top