Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2010 8:06:14 AM EDT
I've really never been a huge fan of the M4 stock on the AK but, just out of curiosity, I was wondering how much length you shave off overall with the stock fully collapsed?
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 8:17:15 AM EDT
[#1]
This may help... it's fully collapsed.

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 8:44:41 AM EDT
[#2]
No pic, but just measured how far the back of the stock is from the rear of the receiver on my SAM7 classic.. it's about the same as that M4 stock, 9 inches.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 9:00:04 AM EDT
[#3]

not too much of a difference in total length, a few inches.

1975 romanian akm vs. 2009 ar15 (cmmg upper / s&w lower)
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 9:55:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This may help... it's fully collapsed.

http://www.athenswater.com/images/7.62-T56SHT.jpg

To the back of the reciever my Warsaw Pact is a little over 9in
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 12:13:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow, I had no idea that the M4 stock was no more compact than a regular AK stock.  Now I'm kind of left wondering what the point of the M4 stock is on an AK?  I guess being able to adjust between being a normal length and being way to long is good for some people
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 12:21:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Wow, I had no idea that the M4 stock was no more compact than a regular AK stock.  Now I'm kind of left wondering what the point of the M4 stock is on an AK?  I guess being able to adjust between being a normal length and being way to long is good for some people

If you're using a CAA  or VLTOR  tube the Tang remains in place so the stock can only be compressed so far

On an AR15 it can collapse pretty much all the way to the end of the receiver
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 12:28:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, I have an M4 stock on my AR and used M4's all day long in the Army.  It was a nice feature to have when wearing body armor.  But on an AK it seems kinda pointless since it is no more compact than the standard stock.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 4:55:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Now I'm kind of left wondering what the point of the M4 stock is on an AK?

Adjustable LOP is nice, but in my case... the ability to use a nice LMT
butt stock and have a better angle on the Micro T-1 sealed the deal.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 9:58:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now I'm kind of left wondering what the point of the M4 stock is on an AK?

Adjustable LOP is nice, but in my case... the ability to use a nice LMT
butt stock and have a better angle on the Micro T-1 sealed the deal.

I've been kinda wondering about this for a while now.  H20, you say it gives you better cheek weld for your t1, I can certainly see how that would make sense; that paired with the fact that your word is generally worth taking.  But, does that make the 'collapsible' stock modification pointless otherwise?  I am a creature of habit, so I would understand if someone perhaps made the argument that they had become seriously partial to using an m4 style butt stock, but..... its an ak...  Is it at least lighter?
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:05:17 AM EDT
[#10]
99.9% of the time I keep the stock collapsed with the T-1, if I were running a variable magnification
scope I believe I would move the butt stock back a bit to meet possible eye relief requirements.

I don't think its lighter, but it does offer water tight storage inside the extension tube
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:11:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
99.9% of the time I keep the stock collapsed with the T-1, if I were running a variable magnification
scope I believe I would move the butt stock back a bit to meet possible eye relief requirements.

I don't think its lighter, but it does offer water tight storage inside the extension tube

lol... think you could jam your suppressor in there?   I'd be all over that.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 2:21:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been considering it. It seems like you would gain adjustability for those of us that appreciate a longer than warsaw length stock, forward sling attachment points, and a larger foot print butt for more comfort. How sturdy are the aluminumn AK conversion tubes?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top