Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/17/2009 9:28:55 AM EDT
I want to hear from some people who have actually fired a Yugo M-70 or similar with the gas valve closed.  I’ve been told two conflicting views.  One is that with the gas shut off it will operate like a straight pull bolt action, with significant accuracy improvement in single shot mode.  The other is that with the gas off the bolt won't open with the proper timing and it will jam making it hard to open the bolt manually if you fire live ammo through it.  

I’ve been toying around with the idea of installing an M-70 gas block on a saiga 308 so that I will have the ability to fire single shot for more precise longer range shooting and semi auto for close range but I want to make sure it will work before I have my barrel re-worked to fit the new gas block.

I appreciate any input from anyone who actually has experience shooting an AK pattern rifle with the gas turned off.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 3:49:34 AM EDT
[#1]
No one has actually tried this?
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 5:48:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I havent.. the grenade sight is too tall to see down the sights - I do not have the desire to trim my grenade sight down
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 5:49:05 AM EDT
[#3]
fired both my Yugo 59/66 SKS and my M70 fixed-stock with the gas valves closed.

there was a bit more felt recoil, no difficulty cycling by hand, and no noticeable improvement in accuracy.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 5:52:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I do it all the time when running a suppressor. Makes it very quiet.

BTW - It doesn't completely close the gas off to the piston.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top