Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/2/2009 6:22:00 PM EDT
I want an underfolder to go with my SGL-21. (Can't have just ONE AK)

Just want a decent shooter without spending lots of $$$$.

I see Yugo M70's for arround $450.   Pieces of crap or o.k. ???

Alternate suggestions/ dealers would be VERY much appreciated.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:38:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Word is that they are the only rifle that Century did well.  That means it is a good buy.  Non-chrome lined barrels on them and they have to be cleaned more regularly.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:18:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got both the Yugo and the Romanian UF AKs. Both are nice and shoot well, but have a couple of differences. The Yugo is much heavier than the Romy and built like a tank. The Romy has the wood foreguard, is light and nimble and is chrom-lined (the Yugo is not). The Yugo has the grenade sight attached to the gas block system. The Romy will cost you a couple hundred more than than the Yugo, but is considered by many as a more refined UF AK than the Yugo. In light of all of this, I highly recommend and enjoy shooting both!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:58:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I likes my Polish 1.6mm but they have gotten pricy.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:37:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Does the Romy underfolder stock go parallel to the reciever? Or does it angle down slightly in the locked position?

Weird question I know.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:09:20 PM EDT
[#5]
It's supposed to have a bit of a downward angle.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:20:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Yugo M70AB underfolders from Century are for the most part good to go.  They are heavy duty.  You just have to look out for front sight cant.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:27:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Romanian

Polish

Yugo

Nothing wrong with any of them, Yugo probably cheapest, then Romanian.  Polish not so cheap but a little nicer.  Prices are generally based on recent availability, not quality.  The yugo is a fine rifle.

Chinese are really nice but very expensive (only because of the import ban, before that they were $300 all day long) ... chinese are for commercial export, whereas Romanian, Polish, and Yugo are generally kit builds from demilled issued rifles... well, except for the WASR which may or may not be from an issued parts kit.  A romanian WASR converted to a folder will likely be the cheapest but it is also the least desired.  Not because anything is wrong with it, but just that it lacks the mag well dimples and doesn't "look right".  If you just want a shooter this means nothing, it's just as accurate and reliable as any other ak.

The yugo sounds like what you are looking for.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:21:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys for all the good opinions and info.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:35:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I have several underfolders.

The Yugo has the best feel.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:52:06 AM EDT
[#10]
When did Yugo underfolders get cheaper than a Romy??

When I bought my Romy 2 years ago, it was $430 NIB and about $100 cheaper than the Yugo.  I thought the Yugos fit nicer, but Romys were chrome lined (hence my purchase)
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:20:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
When did Yugo underfolders get cheaper than a Romy??

When I bought my Romy 2 years ago, it was $430 NIB and about $100 cheaper than the Yugo.  I thought the Yugos fit nicer, but Romys were chrome lined (hence my purchase)

I agree, Romy's always sold for about $100 less than the Yugo's, at least at the gun shows I've been to.  

I have a M70AB2 and love it. (you'll need a G-2 trigger)

As for the non-chrome issue...I clean all my guns after every range trip, no problem.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:39:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I just bought a Century m70ab2 underfolder with wood forestocks yesterday up at j&g's storefront in prescott, az.

For what it is, it is extremely well put together.  Far exceeding what i expected after reading about Century in general on the boards.

I looked at 8-10 of the yugo underfolders in j&g's warehouse, they were all very well put together.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:42:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I picked up a Yugo M70AB2T underfolder 2.5 weeks ago, and shot it for the first time this weekend.  Very nice rifle.  It's probably a good pound heavier than my Romy SAR-1 which has an E. German folder and K-Var handguards.  Both the receiver and barrel are heavier on the Yugo.  It has a G2 FCG and black plastic furniture.  I'm very happy with it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 9:56:16 AM EDT
[#14]
I got (4) M70AB2, (1) M70B1 and they all function stellarly. Add to that the M72 and an M92 and one more to get, the M76-now thats consumer  confidence.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top