Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2009 3:36:31 PM EDT
Just curious, I'm considering selling mine since to be honest I don't really shoot it anymore.  Its a fantastic rifle, and the smoothest and softest shooting rifle I own.  I've got about a hair over 2500 rounds through it, and its in really really good shape.  Couple tiny marks in the finish, safety selector wear, but aside from that it looks damn near new.

Krebs made these in this caliber in the single digit range, and I know from posting pictures in the past I've already had quite a few offers on the rifle.  I just saw a used 762x39 KTR03 with a regular stock and no rail go for 1400.

Any ideas what this thing should be priced at?

Thanks,
Scott

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 6:20:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't do it! Every time I read one of your posts, I admire that rifle in your avatar!

I really wouldn't have an idea of the value, but maybe call Krebs and ask how much to build one to those specs?
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 7:24:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Don't do it! Every time I read one of your posts, I admire that rifle in your avatar!

I really wouldn't have an idea of the value, but maybe call Krebs and ask how much to build one to those specs?

They won't build another KTR 03, period.  The KTR08's are all they will do now and thats for 762 only, so as far as what they would build one for....well, I already know the answer.  Marc won't do another 03, period...in any caliber.  

Im actually very friendly with the staff, I go in there quite a bit so this isn't just hearsay.

I haven't made up my mind yet, but I am considering selling it.  I don't like to, and wont be beating this rifle up because of what it is, and that kinda defeats the purpose keeping it.  Based on what people have offered me in the past, I figure I might be better off selling it to someone who would really appeciate this over a standard AK.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 7:35:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I cant see selling it.  Shoot the crap out of it,  I have the rifle that one is built off of a VEPRk in 5.45 I would trade it for what you have but I would never get rid of it it shootss so awesome!
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 7:54:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They won't build another KTR 03, period.  The KTR08's are all they will do now and thats for 762 only, so as far as what they would build one for....well, I already know the answer.  Marc won't do another 03, period...in any caliber.  

Im actually very friendly with the staff, I go in there quite a bit so this isn't just hearsay.

I haven't made up my mind yet, but I am considering selling it.  I don't like to, and wont be beating this rifle up because of what it is, and that kinda defeats the purpose keeping it.  Based on what people have offered me in the past, I figure I might be better off selling it to someone who would really appeciate this over a standard AK.

I understand completely. I had a Yost-Bonitz custom 1911 that I was into for almost $3k, and it just sat in the safe.

I wound up selling it because I am not a collector.

Start asking $2k for your rifle, and lower it by $100 every two weeks, unless you are in a hurry? If so start at $1500.

That is a badass rifle, and make sure you take at least 200 photos of if before you sell it!
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 12:13:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Since it's a Krebs, 14,000 dollars.

In the real world, maybe 500-600 bucks.  

Everything Krebs makes isn't particularly impressive and is super, super expensive for no real reason.

I saw a polytech legend they chopped up and screwed all up and put tapco furniture on.  

Never again, Krebs.. you stay the hell away from my guns.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 12:46:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Tapco-fucked.  $5
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 1:16:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Tapco-fucked.  $5

Because it has a SAW grip you think it's "fucked"? Some of us aren't 10 year old Ethiopians and like a meaty pistol grip to hang on to when shooting.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 1:27:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tapco-fucked.  $5

Because it has a SAW grip you think it's "fucked"? Some of us aren't 10 year old Ethiopians and like a meaty pistol grip to hang on to when shooting.

I'm 6'6" and 300 pounds, with meaty paws.  The only pistol grip I prefer are the dogbone hungarian grips, but I have no problem holding the regular pistols grips.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 3:29:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tapco-fucked.  $5

The stock is much more obvious than the pistol grip.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 4:41:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tapco-fucked.  $5

Vltor is certainly NOT Tapco.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#11]
sell it to me so I can pair it off with my KTR-03 in 7.62x39
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:40:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Does anyone sell a hinged cover like that? I want one.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 10:26:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

+1000

-urban
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:13:00 AM EDT
[#14]
You are one lucky person to have that rifle, and I'd value it at between $1500 and 2 grand...based on what else you can buy for that much money...a nice Valmet...
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:01:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tapco-fucked.  $5

I use Tapco fucked as a generalized term for an AK with an AR-15 stock on it. Nice rifle, would be even nicer with an AK stock.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:24:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Actually its not hinged
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:29:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tapco-fucked.  $5

I use Tapco fucked as a generalized term for an AK with an AR-15 stock on it. Nice rifle, would be even nicer with an AK stock.

If you tried it, you'd like it.  Its much more comfortable than any AK stock on the market, period.  Single point sling attachment is also a huge bonus.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice looking rifle, check Gunbroker for price.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:32:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually its not hinged

Does it hold zero? Who makes it?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:51:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Thats what makes the 03s as nifty as it is.  Krebs hand fits the top cover and they make the assembly in house.

Returns to zero with virtually no shift.  If there is one, I haven't been able to detect it, and I've had it off regularly for cleaning.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:33:39 PM EDT
[#21]
That is the ideal iron sight setup IF it works correctly IMO. Takes away nothing from the original design and gives you a better sight radius. I assume its a peep too?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:33:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That is the ideal iron sight setup IF it works correctly IMO. Takes away nothing from the original design and gives you a better sight radius. I assume its a peep too?

Yep.  Uses standard AR15 front sight post and rear aperture.  

Not a bad setup at all :-)
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:28:11 PM EDT
[#23]
I want a 5.45 so bad and love kerbs. Wish i had the funds to take it off your hands.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:42:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I think you should take a few weeks to think about it then come back here  ( so I can get the funds to buy it from you )
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:55:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Ive shot this rifle.  She is a dream to shoot.   Scott,  I leave for the sandbox and all of a sudden you are going crazy with your gear.  Are  you feeling OK?  LOL
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:17:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Dude, are you stoned?  Keep that rifle.  Unless you NEED money for something anyway.  You'll never get another one like it, and you love the way it shoots, ammo for it right now is dirt cheap compared to 5.56 and 7.62x39.  This is NOT a sellers market for EBR's anymore, but that market could easily come back.  Right now I'd say you're going to have a hard time moving it.  Back in spring it would have brought $2k probably.  If you don't want to shoot it, just oil it up real good and put it away with about 5 tins of 5.45, and then, years from now, you will have something worth much more.  "Remember when that good surplus ammo was only $150 a tin?  Damn, those were the days..."
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:27:38 AM EDT
[#27]
$3000 ?!?! Is it really worth that much?

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:16:30 AM EDT
[#28]
don't sell it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:10:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Based on the offers I've gotten for it without even posting it for sale....yes.  Back when I bought it I had an offer by a man to pay two and a half times what I paid for it.

I've already had a handful of offers well north of 2k.

Regardless, I'm not 100% on selling it, but I have it listed for what I would be comfortable letting it go for.  Is it high?  Who knows, and frankly, I don't care
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:21:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Based on the offers I've gotten for it without even posting it for sale....yes.  Back when I bought it I had an offer by a man to pay two and a half times what I paid for it.

Regardless, I'm not 100% on selling it, but I have it listed for what I would be comfortable letting it go for.  Is it high?  Who knows, and frankly, I don't care

I had no idea, then again I don't really know anything about it. Out of curiosity, what makes it worth so much?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:28:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had no idea, then again I don't really know anything about it. Out of curiosity, what makes it worth so much?

The fact that people really like Krebs guns.  They have a great reputation and from their AK's that I've owned, they're really tough to beat.

As far as what makes the gun worth that much...Im basing it on previous offers for the gun, the fact that I really like it and don't necessarily want to get rid of it, and the fact that in that caliber they made less than 10 of them.
Only other guy who I've heard has one is Larry Vickers.  I've been searching for a confirmed owner of a 5.45 KTR since I bought it and have yet to find anyone.  

The features that make it a nice shooter are the rail, the hand fitted top cover, and the left-side safety, and the AR15 style sights.  Its also a solid 2moa shooter too.  I also can't tell exactly why, but it recoils about half of what a normal 74 does.  Very fast back on target, and very very flat recoil.

Could someone build a 74 to funtion very similar?  Hell yes, infact I already have so that I could have a similarly functional AK to shoot while this one stays in the safe.  But thats not the type of shooter who would really want a KTR.  
To 99.5% of AK enthusiasts, it will be looked over, especially the "keep that crap off my AK" crowd, which most are.  To a collector of rare AK's, it might be pretty nifty, and thats why I don't shoot it anymore.

Am I expecting to get exactly what I asked for?  Nope, but thats why I have OBO there.  It will eliminate the "I'll give you 1500 for it" crowd, because frankly its worth more than that to me.  Selling guns online, I historically get 9 lowballs for every 1 serious buyer.  This hopefully will eliminate that issue.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:32:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fact that people really like Krebs guns.  They have a great reputation and from their AK's that I've owned, they're really tough to beat.

As far as what makes the gun worth that much...Im basing it on previous offers for the gun, the fact that I really like it and don't necessarily want to get rid of it, and the fact that in that caliber they made less than 10 of them.
Only other guy who I've heard has one is Larry Vickers.  I've been searching for a confirmed owner of a 5.45 KTR since I bought it and have yet to find anyone.  

The features that make it a nice shooter are the rail, the hand fitted top cover, and the left-side safety.  Its also a solid 2moa shooter too.

Could someone build a 74 to funtion very similar?  Hell yes.  But thats not the type of shooter who would really want a KTR.  Most people probably wouldn't, and I completely understand that.  

To 99.5% of AK enthusiasts, it will be looked over.  To a collector of rare AK's, it might be pretty nifty, and thats why I don't shoot it anymore.

Thanks. I didn't know it was that rare but I understand more now that I know it's more of a collector's item (kind of like my magpul lower). To me it's hard with items like these. I like having a rare

items but on the other hand I'm afraid to use them which makes me wonder why I have it
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:35:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The features that make it a nice shooter are the rail, the hand fitted top cover, and the left-side safety.  Its also a solid 2moa shooter too.

Could someone build a 74 to funtion very similar?  Hell yes.  But thats not the type of shooter who would really want a KTR.  Most people probably wouldn't, and I completely understand that.  

To 99.5% of AK enthusiasts, it will be looked over.  To a collector of rare AK's, it might be pretty nifty, and thats why I don't shoot it anymore.

Thanks. I didn't know it was that rare but I understand more now that I know it's more of a collector's item (kind of like my magpul lower). To me it's hard with items like these. I like having a rare

items but on the other hand I'm afraid to use them which makes me wonder why I have it

Damn, quoted me prior to all the edits LOL.  I hear ya.  I'm more of a functional firearm owner.  If it doesn't serve a specific purpose anymore, I generally end up getting rid of it.  

Collecting isn't quite a hobby of mine yet and I doubt it ever will be.  So far, I've got a gun that fits every "function" I need, this one sits in the safe.  No real need for it anymore.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:10:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The features that make it a nice shooter are the rail, the hand fitted top cover, and the left-side safety, and the AR15 style sights.  Its also a solid 2moa shooter too.  I also can't tell exactly why, but it recoils about half of what a normal 74 does.  Very fast back on target, and very very flat recoil.

Could someone build a 74 to funtion very similar?  Hell yes, infact I already have so that I could have a similarly functional AK to shoot while this one stays in the safe.  But thats not the type of shooter who would really want a KTR.  
To 99.5% of AK enthusiasts, it will be looked over, especially the "keep that crap off my AK" crowd, which most are.  To a collector of rare AK's, it might be pretty nifty, and thats why I don't shoot it anymore.

Am I expecting to get exactly what I asked for?  Nope, but thats why I have OBO there.  It will eliminate the "I'll give you 1500 for it" crowd, because frankly its worth more than that to me.  Selling guns online, I historically get 9 lowballs for every 1 serious buyer.  This hopefully will eliminate that issue.

Krebs is for people called "tools" with more money than sense.  

/thread
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:20:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Your AK rocked at the Magpul course.  Forget all the haters, I got a Vltor stock for my AK after seeing yours in action.  Also some people enjoy the nicer things in life, I just have 3 boys and can't afford it.  

If your not going to use it, sell it and buy more stuff.  I'm in the process of reducing items in my head, just haven't gotten to actually doing it.  

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:54:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Does that Vltor tube with say a CTR stock give you the proper cheek weld? It isn't to high or two low is it?
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:12:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Does that Vltor tube with say a CTR stock give you the proper cheek weld? It isn't to high or two low is it?

Works perfect.  When I got my CTR I tried it out on the AK, worked out just fine.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:22:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Wow I have a KTR03S in 7.62x39 and I had no idea they were so valuable, or sought after.

ETA: Try an ACS stock on yours, the ACS made mine sooo much more comfortable.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:26:19 AM EDT
[#39]
While I'm not a absolute traditionalist I typically don't like AR stuff on AK's, but that one is really nice looking.  I would say you shouldn't have too much trouble selling it once you settle in the right price range (of which I have no idea).  VERY nice.

Good luck
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:31:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Wow I have a KTR03S in 7.62x39 and I had no idea they were so valuable, or sought after.

ETA: Try an ACS stock on yours, the ACS made mine sooo much more comfortable.

The ACS would work but the only problem is its longer than the VLTOR.  I currently have it all the way collapsed.

The 762's are alot more common than the 5.45's, but even as such I've seen basic 7.62 03's go for 14-1500

Problem wiht the 5.45 is I've never seen one for sale, let alone confirmed anyone else that owns one, so I have no idea what they're worth.  I just put it up for what I'd be happy letting it go for.  If it doesn't sell, oh well, I'll shoot the crap out of it
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:46:11 AM EDT
[#41]
I have shot this specific rifle. It is scary fast, hand fitted safety and really handy. I like the long sight radius and the absence of recoil. I love Krebs guns - have had a few and the quality is out of the ball park.

I could see value in this rifle well over 2k.

PS if this rifle sells, there will be a mandatory clause in the paperwork that automatically wills it to me upon the SHTF - right Marksman?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top