Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2009 9:22:10 PM EDT
Okay, I have to admit that I'm real new to the AK47 world and haven't gotten an opportunity to buy or build one yet (so I don't know Jack about the platform), but I'm hell on AR15s having built a couple of lowers and uppers for myself from 0% forgings.

My question for the group...  Is there a difference in size and configuration between the run of the mill stamped AK receiver and the Saiga 12 receiver?  What's to keep someone from remodeling the bolt group and magwell on a standard AK parts kit/receiver flat, adding the appropriate barrel, buying a 2 position gas tube block, and building my own semi-auto Saiga knock off?

Thanks, and please take pity on this AK newbie during your replies to my insane question!

John
Munds Park, AZ
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:20:01 PM EDT
[#1]
and building my own semi-auto Saiga knock off?

The S12 is a completely different animal built from the AK platform, almost everthing is different on an S12.

Now for a rifle caliber you could most likely do it, the .308 model might be an exeption due to the longer round which means a longer mag.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:39:45 PM EDT
[#2]
|Like coils said, it's completely different. The bolt and bolt carrier are based on the same rotating-type design but bigger. Compare the base of a 7.62 round and a 12 gauge. Plus, I don't think you can get a factory S-12 barrel and I am pretty sure that no one makes an aftermarket
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top