Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2009 9:13:23 PM EDT
Just back from my first extended range session with my '88 Polish war machine (Barlow Custom on Elk River receiver) and I love it.  It's plenty accurate for bottles, cans, phone books, etc.  Being the first time shooting more than one or two 7.62 rounds, I found my AKMS to be surprisingly soft shooting considering the size of the ammo versus my AR's 5.56/.223cal.  My AKMS wasn't quite 100% through 7 30rd mags (1 failure of the bolt to return to battery), but it still new enough that I'm not concerned.  I'll tell you who should be concerned: rabbits.  Very concerned.  

I have to say that it gets hot!  Damn hot and damn quick.  It was hot enough that the wood was just this side of combusting.  The heat went straight through the wooden forearm.  Between that and the folded sheetmetal safety latch, I understand why some of you wear gloves.  I think I'll add some to the AK bag.  

I preferred my underfolder to a pal's side folder.  Though his is also 7.62 and not 5.45, it featured what looked like a Tantal wire side folder.  We got a better cheek weld and were less likely to accidentally get a nose full of receiver with the underfolder.  The sticky on how to "install" paracord was as appreciated as it was easy to do.  

I shot old Wolf HP ammo today that wasn't yet labeled Wolf brand.  Bang every time.  Next up is my recent shipment of Silver Bear HP.  The big 7.62 dominated the two phone books that I taped back to back ... tearing out the backside within only a few rounds.  The 5.56/.223 also punched straight through them, but the exit hole wasn't nearly as serious looking.  

The sling (set up for one-point in the pic, but can do duty as a two-point) is a CQD Two-Point Sling w/HK hooks.  I put electrical tap on the hooks and sling attachment points, but it didn't hold up well at the range. I put the tape on to cut down on metal to metal clanking / clicking that drives my electronic ears nutty.  What's the trick?!  

My eastern bloc 30rd mags were good to go.  Thanks to Henderson Defense!  

My Shihan chest rig (www.BeezCombatSystems.com) was good stuff, too.  Thanks to Beez!  

I can't wait to add the LaRue Iron Dot (their B/O might not clear until 2112!) to see how it compares to my AR w/EOTech.  Even so, I was pleasantly surprised with my AK's accuracy between 25 and 100yds.  It made me look good, which isn't easy somedays!

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:40:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah they get hot!

You might not be stupid enough to grab the barrel or tube but it's easy for your thumb to slip up against the sling loop.
Ouch!
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:16:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice Rig.

I got a vertical fore grip for the heat issues.  Also check out the ultimak / microdot set up, good option thats not on backorder.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:53:42 AM EDT
[#3]
On a different AK I'd go with an Ultimak gas tube over the iron dot, total price for an Ultimak + Konus type red dot is less and they are readily available...but to be honest I like the total package that you have with your rifle. It looks really nice and I think the Ultimak would look out of place on it.

If yours were my only AK and I needed a solid practical rifle then sure I'd roll with the Ultimak, but not if I had an extra rifle to choose from.

On the iron dot I've heard mixed reviews from a few friends, mainly focused on the Burris sight it uses which in their opinion isn't really all that great of a sight. At $240+ and a crazy backorder time I don't have any interest in one myself, but mostly because I've had extremely good results from my Ultimak + Konus combo.

Quoted:
I'll tell you who should be concerned: rabbits.  Very concerned.  

This made my day

Nice Polish war machine you have there, thanks for posting

Z
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:22:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll tell you who should be concerned: rabbits.  Very concerned.

Ah hate rebbits!

Nice rifle. I love how those Polish UFs look.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top