Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/19/2009 7:15:55 PM EDT
Maybe I'm just really stupid but I can't for the life of me figure out how to use the leather AK sling that came with my AK....   Besides throwing it over your shoulder like a hunting rifle, how the hell else would you use it???  Is this thing completely useless or what??

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:42:08 PM EDT
[#1]
It's for carry.
People generally don't "sling up" when shooting machine guns.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:46:08 PM EDT
[#2]
That's pretty much the single purpose in the life of a rifle sling.     You can tighten it up a bit and (if you shoot right handed) put your left elbow into it to serve as an additional support.  

Do you mean you don't know how to attach it to the rifle or you literally don't know what else to use it for other than to sling-carry your rifle?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:50:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I know how to hook it up but it just seems completely useless besides slinging it over your shoulder like a hunting rifle, I guess I'm asking if it's meant to be worn tactically at all or is it to just throw the rifle on your back??

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:00:10 PM EDT
[#4]
You have to remember the era of these rifles.  They've been around long before the high-speed "tactical" crap of today (3-point slings, etc.).  The Russians/old Soviet Bloc were a little slower on the draw to get into the "tactical" game.

Perhaps I'm just old or something but I'm still not quite grasping what you were expecting out of a leather AK sling.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:23:57 PM EDT
[#5]
The slick move you want to work on is from muzzle down slung and safe behind the back to a burst from the hip in one smooth motion.

There now, feelin' more tactical?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:29:44 PM EDT
[#6]

i have seen pics of the russian slings run all the way out to their longest length then wrapped around the body in a semi-tactical way. if you want to tacticool your ak then just put a vickers on it with the quick adjust. it's easily slung to hang in front of your body or whipped around to carry on your back. i'm no fan of single point or three point slings. the advantages of the two point in my opinion are greater. but, that's just me. the only gun i have a tactical sling on is my 5.45 m4 carbine. i have a vickers on it using a ggg front sling thing and for the stock i use a soft stock adapter that puts a loop at the top.

look for pics of templar, the katar, or larry vickers using their ak rigs, they all use tactical slings on them. how they mount them i'm not sure.

here is my rig on my m&p15r.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:48:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I guess I'm asking if it's meant to be worn tactically at all

How does one wear something "tactically"?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:51:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
look for pics of templar,

What a role model  I'd love to see a video of him emerging "tactically" from his room in mom's basement.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:17:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I mean in a fashion where you can shoulder the rifle quickly....    Well I guess the leather sling is basically useless as I expected it was, I just wasn't sure if there was a way to use it that I wasn't thinking of but I guess it's just to sling it over your shoulder like you would a hunting rifle....    

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:21:59 AM EDT
[#10]
You can use it as a brace for offhand shooting.

Stick your arm into the sling and bring the sling up between your elbow and shoulder, then wrap your forearm and hand around it and grab the rifle handguard and bring the rifle to shooting postition.
Adjust the sling to be nice and tight in that position.

Works for me.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:15:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
look for pics of templar,

What a role model  I'd love to see a video of him emerging "tactically" from his room in mom's basement.

LOL
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:17:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I mean in a fashion where you can shoulder the rifle quickly....    Well I guess the leather sling is basically useless as I expected it was,

It's not useless. It is useful for carrying the rifle while leaving your hands free (which is the primary purpose of a sling). I expect that the Soviets felt that their soldiers would have the rifle in their hands when they needed it.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:28:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Im keeping my ak stock, and using a old original type sling so im stuck with it, but I found you can open it up a bit and strap the rifle across your chest with the muzzle down, then if needed spin it around to your back. But because of the rear layout it sucks, I wish mine was a receiver mounted attachment, then the sling wouldnt be rubbing on your face. I just keep it short only to sling on my back to carry it, not really a tactical length.

I could easily attach a 1 point sling but om trying to keep the original look of the rifle, my ar is all tricked out like they were intended to be.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:52:21 PM EDT
[#14]
the whole idea behind the blue force vickers is that it is adjustable on the fly. loosen and whip the weapon around on your back or hang on your side, tighten it to hang close to your chest for quick engagement. you can get different attachment ends for it. it's not made of the slick thin nylon, it's a pretty heavy duty sling. www.blueforcegear.com

here's one i saw on a khyber pass, awesome gun.

here's the whole thread

http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=109496
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top