Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/19/2009 12:05:06 AM EDT
Sorry I know little about AK variants other then the one i was shot by never penetrated my vest :) I am interested in buying an R4 if there's even a civie model available here??? Is the Galil the same as an R4 and if not what are the differences and is there a civie model R4 available here? Sure hope I'm in the right place for this question
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:10:58 AM EDT
[#1]
The R4 is a licensed copy of the Israeli Military Industries Galil ARM.  There are a number of small design changes made to the Galil design by the South Africans.

The notable changes to the R4 are:

1. Handguard is plastic instead of wood and is longer than the Israeli ARM version.
2. Buttstock  is longer than the Israeli version to fit taller South African's better.  Additionally, the R4's stock is made from plastic rather than the early Israeli coated metal stock.
3. Thinner front sight post.
4. Thicker front sight ring.
5. Redesigned stronger front sight assemble minus click adjustments.
6. R4 has two separate springs for both the hammer and the trigger. The Galil uses one spring for both the trigger and hammer.
7. Wider tail on the trigger sear.
8. An improved bolt and firing pin system to prevent light hits on primer.
9. A shoulder was added on the front of the gas tube to prevent the handguard disassembly lever from moving forward during firing.
10. No carrying handle.
11. Rifle grenade retaining spring has been modified.
12. Recoil-spring retaining ring can be installed in only one direction.
13. Recoil spring guide rod is extended to prevent accidental dislodging of the dust cover while launching rifle grenades.

Additionally, the South Africans also developed a ribbed polymer 35 round magazine that was significantly light but also less durable than the all steel Israeli magazine.

The shorter, lighter R5 carbine is visually identical to the Galil SAR with the exception of the longer buttstock.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top