Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/4/2009 1:35:40 PM EDT
I'm really not up on who makes the best Vz58, and I don't necessarily nee the best.  What I would LIKE, is a good, competenly built Vz58 rifle for enjoyable shooting.  Anyone know of any serious issues with the one sold by Classic Arms??
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 3:44:56 PM EDT
[#1]
If you look at the photo on their web page, the one that comes with the case and mags and bayo..... They show a AK mag and bayo in the photo! Those won't fit a VZ.

You may want to call them and make sure they get it right!
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 8:46:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one of the Century built rifles marketed by Classic, although mine did not come from Classic, but it's the same gun, just a different seller. No problems with it. 100% reliable so far. Shoots accurately and light on the recoil. Feels very light for a milled receiver and compact. One advantage the Century models have is that the barrels are a full 16" long, so you can switch out muzzle devices and use the Czech cleaning kit muzzle attachment. I replaced the slant brake on mine with an original muzzle nut. The Century models also come with the bayonet lug.

Here is a pic with a CZ-75B.

by itself and with the muzzle nut..

With the bayonet
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 6:48:18 AM EDT
[#3]
That's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for, thanks.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 9:19:41 PM EDT
[#4]
got one from classic, came with bayonet, cleaning kit and two slings.  looks pretty good overall, however the barrel is roughly finished and will probably foul easily.  Also safety operates 180 degrees out of sync with the original.

For the price its pretty solid, however they could have done a better job with the barrel's interior finish.  Its pretty rough, one step above charter arms.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 7:52:18 AM EDT
[#5]
if they only took AK mags I would have bought one years ago, I really like them but adding another model of magazine to my large mag stash is not worth it for one rifle.
Link Posted: 10/7/2009 9:39:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Well took out the Century for the first time last weekend, after about 10 rounds, the lower handguard fell off and will freely goes in and out of its location with the lower pin still installed.  Although it seemed a little too loose before shooting, it will just plain fall out right now.

I cannot figure what happened.  Its almost like the rifle stretched in the spot and now there is nothing keep the handguard in.
Link Posted: 10/7/2009 9:41:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
if they only took AK mags I would have bought one years ago, I really like them but adding another model of magazine to my large mag stash is not worth it for one rifle.

I've seen a modified VZ that took AK mags.  No last round BHO, of course.
Link Posted: 10/7/2009 1:02:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well took out the Century for the first time last weekend, after about 10 rounds, the lower handguard fell off and will freely goes in and out of its location with the lower pin still installed.  Although it seemed a little too loose before shooting, it will just plain fall out right now.

I cannot figure what happened.  Its almost like the rifle stretched in the spot and now there is nothing keep the handguard in.

Check to make sure that the rear of the handguard didn't break?
Link Posted: 10/7/2009 1:53:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Score yet another bad mark for Century!
Link Posted: 10/7/2009 3:49:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If it was a failure of the handguard, then it's not Century's fault...since every single VZ-58 on the market in this country except for the 'sporterized' models, all use the exact same surplus Czech-made furniture.
Link Posted: 10/8/2009 10:27:26 AM EDT
[#11]
luckily I had purchased a lot of spare parts for the VZ that had included the barrel assembly and the foward chunk of the receiver.  So I went about and compared them.

Century must have installed the lower handguard without the sheet metal cap that goes on the end with the cross pin.  Once I put this part on, the lower handguard is rock solid in the century.

Interestingly enough, the handguard with cap installed on the spare part set was very loose.  Comparing the two parts, the handguard that came with the century is 2 mm longer than the spare part set.  Both are czech surplus.  Maybe the material shrinks over time or there was a spec change.

See this is why you need spares, so you can tell how your rifle was supposed to be assembled by the Century monkeys...
Link Posted: 10/8/2009 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Exactly, another screw up from the monkeys at Century. I'd buy the real deal imported by Czech Point. This rifle is made at the real CZ factory,  D-Technik. They made all the real CZ-58's & they are available here. Would you rather have another ORF receivered Century built gun? {Remember the Golani]? Get the real deal, made by the company that made the real CZ-58's. Not a poor copy built by angry beavers in Vermont.  GARY  N4KVE

Link Posted: 10/9/2009 1:32:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Just got a Czechpoint vz-58, and can't believe the quality of this rifle.  TOP NOTCH.  The Military Classic comes with beechwood furniture that has a fantastic finish.  They are a little more expensive, but 6 months down the road you will forget about the extra cost, but you will be really happy with the rifle.  Plus they pay the shipping and the transfer fee to your FFL, so the price you pay them is the out-the-door-price, nothing else to pay, which saves at least $50.00-$75.00.
Link Posted: 10/14/2009 11:14:42 PM EDT
[#14]
yeah but the Century has no plastic parts, threaded muzzle and a bayo lug.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 7:40:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 4:08:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

My thoughts exactly...
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 6:03:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
yeah but the Century has no plastic parts, threaded muzzle and a bayo lug.

Exactly. The plastic parts and magazine 922R parts eliminate the imported version from consideration for me.

I have a Czechpoint VZ, and I worried about that too, but now that I have it I found that the plastic parts are solid and well made.
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 3:02:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Can you buy all of the "plastic parts" as spares?
Link Posted: 11/18/2009 3:35:16 PM EDT
[#19]
today only at classic arms:

VZ-58/2008...........$489.95

Link Posted: 11/28/2009 6:49:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Can you buy all of the "plastic parts" as spares?

Yes.

IMO the Dtechnik version is superior in finish than the Century.  Bayo lug and 922r parts be damned.  Besides, the 30 rounders I have work just fine and spare parts are a-plenty.  Who cares who made them?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top