Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/30/2009 7:16:56 PM EDT
Why are they called WASR? What does it stand for, I've tried searching but can't find anything on this question.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:29:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Wassenaar Arrangement Semi Rifle

http://www.wassenaar.org/

The Wassenaar Arrangement establishes guidelines regulating the export of military technology amongst participating nations.

(Credit due to POLYTHENEPAM for first schooling us on this a while back)
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 3:46:42 AM EDT
[#2]
What
A
Shitty
Rifle

Kidding, my WASR 10/63 was my introduction to the AK-series and I love it.

(Not as much as my SGL20 though )
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 5:00:45 AM EDT
[#3]
What
Arrogant
Shooters
Reticule

And man do they !!!  
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 12:49:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Womanian Assault Wifle

some of its lost in translation

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 12:56:51 PM EDT
[#5]
What A Shitty Rifle?  Had I not seen that in here I would have posted it myself.  I heard it for the first time several months ago and nearly fell out of my chair laughing.  In all actuality, they usually work (usually being the key word) but are known for the poorest quality of them all.  Especially when the hacks at Century get ahold of them and Dremmel the magwell open to accept regular hi-cap mags.  You can get them cheaper than most out there (although for $100-200 more than they were going just a year ago) but don't be surprised if you acquire one with canted sights or that you have to do a little Dremmelling of your own to get it to function correctly.  They go back to Century to be fixed or replaced somewhat frequently.

Personally, I have no desire at all for one (I'm one of those arrogant shooters that RIDICULE them) but it's a lot cheaper than springing $1000+ for an Arsenal.  If it came down to a WASR or nothing I'd take a WASR all damn day long!
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 12:58:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What
Arrogant
Shooters
Reticule

And man do they !!!  

ridicule
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:15:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What A Shitty Rifle?  Had I not seen that in here I would have posted it myself.  I heard it for the first time several months ago and nearly fell out of my chair laughing.  

You're only about 8 years behind everyone else.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:19:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
 They go back to Century to be fixed or replaced somewhat frequently.

You're still behind the times. According to AIM, out of the last shipment they got (700 rifles) exactly ONE (1) was returned. Or perhaps you have examined more of the rifles recently than AIM has sold?

ETA: Do a search and tell us how many reports of shattered hammers occuring in WASRs you find.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 4:09:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, I made the shitty rifle comment as a joke.

My WASR has been flawless.

And, it seems that new production WASRs just keep getting better and better.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 7:33:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're still behind the times. According to AIM, out of the last shipment they got (700 rifles) exactly ONE (1) was returned. Or perhaps you have examined more of the rifles recently than AIM has sold?

ETA: Do a search and tell us how many reports of shattered hammers occuring in WASRs you find.

4353 posts on a gun forum, and most of them are made correcting and trying to belittle others.....

GET A LIFE!

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:11:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

4353 posts on a gun forum, and most of them are made correcting and trying to belittle others.....

GET A LIFE!

If misinformation is allowed to pass uncorrected, the board is useless as a source of information. Even worse, some of the misinformation could be dangerous, if acted upon.
Some of us add to the knowledge base (See post #2), others, not so much.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 7:49:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:10:19 AM EDT
[#13]
POLYTHENEPAM is at me once again.  It's pretty obvious you and I don't agree on the quality of a WASR.  Doesn't mean you need to bang me everytime you get the chance.  A lot of posts are simply about opinion.  If the quality of the average WASR has gone up some then I think that's a good thing.  Companies selling any product are well served to listen to the response of their client base.  I've shot them and handled them before and as I said, if I had a choice for pretty much any Kalashnikov version I'd rather have something else.  And I also stated I'd rather have a WASR than nothing at all.  

I still feel that the WASR, overall, has a bed rep and it's because it's earned its reputation.  No need to bash me because my opinion of a WASR is low.  I'll reiterate one more time: if it came between a WASR and nothing at all, I'll take one all day long.  But given the chance for something I else, I'd feel more comfortable with something else so I doubt I'd ever own one.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:27:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:16:36 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

GET A LIFE!

If misinformation is allowed to pass uncorrected, the board is useless as a source of information. Even worse, some of the misinformation could be dangerous, if acted upon.

Some of us add to the knowledge base (See post #2), others, not so much.

yeah, i get it.  you feel it's your duty to push your opinion, while others opinions is misinformation.  

wasr's still have canted sights, gas blocks, rear sights, etc.  if not henderson would not be selling their popular "certified" wasr's.  

you have no first hand knowledge of anything you pass off as facts.  just regurgitated posts that others have made, just like everybody else, your nothing special.   you're just another internet know-it-all commando with a stupid name.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:17:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This is not a statement of an opinion. It is a statement of purported fact, unaccompanied by any evidence.
Worse, based on the available evidence (from a seller who handles a relatively large number of WASRs) it's outdated at the very least.

Expecting to have your opinion, which you have expressed as a fact (and as noted is unsupported by evidence and is contrary to the evidence which is available) go unchallenged is unrealistic.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:20:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

yeah, i get it.  you feel it's your duty to push your opinion, while others opinions is misinformation.  

The statement from AIM is not my opinion.
If you have contrary evidence, by all means post it.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:29:37 AM EDT
[#18]
I think they are scummed much more than is deserved. I doubt the magazine cares when the mag well was finished.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 2:47:34 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm not a seller, manufacturer, partner, or distributor/importer.  I'm simply an enthusiast.  That's it.  I'm not going to be right about things 100% of the time.  I've learned a ton reading this site as my job doesn't have 8 full hours worth of work for me while I'm in there every day.  I did not base my claims via researching Century International Arms' claims department, or AIMS, or anyone else's.  I based my opinions on the ones I've shot and held in my hand.  I've also based my opinion on the never-ending posts from people that have bought them and had some kind of problem or another.

POLYTHENAPAM typically comes to the rescue anytime someone says something remotely construed as non-positive about the WASR.  I'm beginning to think he's a major stock share holder with a controlling interest in Century International Arms or something.  Hell, maybe he's Romanian.  But when somebody comes out and tells another poster WASR is bottom of the barrel according to too many accounts from people, what other reason would he have to strap on his cape and come to the rescue?
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:15:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the good info POLYTHENEPAM, keep up the good work
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 7:25:45 PM EDT
[#21]
"Hand Select". Someone hasn't heard of "Hand Select" before.

I haven't seen any crappy WASRs like I did back in 05 and 06. Those were bad.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:05:00 PM EDT
[#22]
my wasr looks like crap compared to...well, just about any other AK with wooden furniture.  but i treat it like crap and it goes bang every time with the accuracy i would expect .  if my WASR is as reliable and as accurate as another AK, why spend more?  

just inspect the thing before you buy it. if i were to buy sight unseen, i prolly would go for the Henderson just to be safe.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:53:24 PM EDT
[#23]
This is assuming that hand select really means anything at all.

I could easily "hand select" a gun for an extra 20 bucks.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:59:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
POLYTHENAPAM typically comes to the rescue anytime someone says something remotely construed as non-positive about the WASR.  I'm beginning to think he's a major stock share holder with a controlling interest in Century International Arms or something.  Hell, maybe he's Romanian.  But when somebody comes out and tells another poster WASR is bottom of the barrel according to too many accounts from people, what other reason would he have to strap on his cape and come to the rescue?

Perfectly fine with me...he saves met the trouble of saying the same thing. WASRs are fine AKs with sub par finishes.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:53:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
 I did not base my claims via researching Century International Arms' claims department, or AIMS, or anyone else's.  

I didn't "research" either. Someone from AIM posted the statement in a thread in the Romanian forum.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:20:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
just inspect the thing before you buy it.

That's solid advice that applies to all AKs. Come to think of it, I've never purchased any firearm, new or used, without stripping and examining it first.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top