Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2009 5:25:01 AM EDT
So I picked up a Tantal after reading a magazine article about them. After reading on this forum I made sure to get one with the correct barrel. Being a century I examined it carefully and actually feel like it is made pretty well.

I picked up a case of the wolf 60gr and stared nervously at the rifle for several days anxious to put my century/Tantal fears to rest. Why did I buy a century, well it was a whim, I thought it looked good, and I had the money to gamble. I will always be an AR guy first but have added a couple of AK's now.

So the wife, a friend and I head to the range and I am prepared to sight in. I use a make shift bench rest and I'll be damned, the thing is already zeroed right on the money! This has never happened to me before and I was slightly freaked. I thought about calling it a day right there and heading home. I don't believe century took the time to zero this rifle, it was just a weird fluke, but nice all the same.

So we shot three magazines with no keyholes and not a hiccup. The recoil is a hair more than an AR.

The sight as on most AK's are not great but serviceable.

Overall, I was really impressed with it's capabilities. At 50 yards standing unsupported I bet I was shooting 4-5" groups with a few flyers and for me that is pretty good. I am not saying it is AR accurate but it really did better than I expected.

I didn't run out the target to any real range as we were pressed for time. I did not shoot from the prone or from a bench rest to really test accuracy. I tend to not use a bench rest because I don't generally carry one in the woods with me either. I will use a table to support my elbows or whatever, but you get the point.

We brought some zombie head targets and played "one shot, one kill" for a while. The target were actually quite  a bit smaller than a human head. We managed quite a few "kills", But I must admit we are all probably zombies now. I would brobably recommend follow up shots or oo buck shot for zombie attacks. For a general shtf situation this one has potential and time will tell.

My wife says she still prefers an AR, but liked it well enough with her biggest complaint being the wire stock. She also says it looks less "ghetto" than the wasr 10/63, so maybe this is a factor for a potential buyer.

Over all I am extremely happy with this rifle and so far it has exceded my expectations. I am not thrilled with the lack of cheek weld on the wire stock but it is solid and smooth in operation, plus it looks cool.

On a side note the Wolf seemed to shoot pretty clean, this was not the laquered stuff. I will probably pick up more of this as it is non-corrosive and the gun ran really well with it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:37:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I picked up a Tantal after reading a magazine article about them. After reading on this forum I made sure to get one with the correct barrel. Being a century I examined it carefully and actually feel like it is made pretty well.

I picked up a case of the wolf 60gr and stared nervously at the rifle for several days anxious to put my century/Tantal fears to rest. Why did I buy a century, well it was a whim, I thought it looked good, and I had the money to gamble. I will always be an AR guy first but have added a couple of AK's now.

So the wife, a friend and I head to the range and I am prepared to sight in. I use a make shift bench rest and I'll be damned, the thing is already zeroed right on the money! This has never happened to me before and I was slightly freaked. I thought about calling it a day right there and heading home. I don't believe century took the time to zero this rifle, it was just a weird fluke, but nice all the same.

So we shot three magazines with no keyholes and not a hiccup. The recoil is a hair more than an AR.

The sight as on most AK's are not great but serviceable.

Overall, I was really impressed with it's capabilities. At 50 yards standing unsupported I bet I was shooting 4-5" groups with a few flyers and for me that is pretty good. I am not saying it is AR accurate but it really did better than I expected.

I didn't run out the target to any real range as we were pressed for time. I did not shoot from the prone or from a bench rest to really test accuracy. I tend to not use a bench rest because I don't generally carry one in the woods with me either. I will use a table to support my elbows or whatever, but you get the point.

We brought some zombie head targets and played "one shot, one kill" for a while. The target were actually quite  a bit smaller than a human head. We managed quite a few "kills", But I must admit we are all probably zombies now. I would brobably recommend follow up shots or oo buck shot for zombie attacks. For a general shtf situation this one has potential and time will tell.

My wife says she still prefers an AR, but liked it well enough with her biggest complaint being the wire stock. She also says it looks less "ghetto" than the wasr 10/63, so maybe this is a factor for a potential buyer.

Over all I am extremely happy with this rifle and so far it has exceded my expectations. I am not thrilled with the lack of cheek weld on the wire stock but it is solid and smooth in operation, plus it looks cool.

On a side note the Wolf seemed to shoot pretty clean, this was not the laquered stuff. I will probably pick up more of this as it is non-corrosive and the gun ran really well with it.

My interarms tantal is the fuckin' king of the collection.  Stack it high and deep with the 5.45s.

I wonder if we should put up a interarms tantal vs. bulgy poll?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:05:41 AM EDT
[#2]
My AKUSA built Tantal is fantastic. My favorite AK for sure.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:06:09 AM EDT
[#3]
how were able to pick this out ???
Quoted:
After reading on this forum I made sure to get one with the correct barrel..

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:13:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
how were able to pick this out ???
Quoted:
After reading on this forum I made sure to get one with the correct barrel..

It has a designator number 1536 on the box. There is also a tag in the box that I believe is made to go on the trigger guard that says 1/9.  I also did the bullet in the muzzle test. All good to go.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:06:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I haven't fired my Tantal yet but I did wrap the wire sidefolder on my SAR-2 with some paracord in a braided pattern and the improved cheek weld is awesome.

I will do this on the Tantal next.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:11:41 AM EDT
[#6]
You got lucky!

My friend's CAI Tantal was junk, couldn't even get rounds on paper at 25 yards.

Had to bring it in to 10 yards to find key holes, hahaha
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top