Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2009 6:01:04 PM EDT
Can you convert these from the thumbhole stock to a butt stock and pistol grip would like wood stock and polymer or wood grip?http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk185/DoughboyRacing/MAK_90.jpg This is it now, I keep hearing that I have to change other parts to US made parts to be compliant in changing the stock and grip
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:05:23 PM EDT
[#1]
yes you can convert them to standard buttstock and pistol grip.  it is my understanding that w/ the mak 90's dimensions are slightly different than a standard AK, thus the fit of the replacement parts may be slightly off.

as far as compliance, people are referring to the 922r laws.  check here for a compliance calculator and info on the law.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:58:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, you can convert them. The Chinese receiver is a little thicker than normal AK receivers so you would have to trim down any buttstock that is not originally intended for Chinese AKs. Pistol grips are not an issue. I converted mine by using a Tapco FCG (3 parts), US pistol grip, US gas piston, and a US muzzle nut. I have a US made follower from KVAR so I am replacing the plastic grip with a Chinese blonde wood grip .

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:50:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the information guys
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:17:20 AM EDT
[#4]
don't forget, some of the MAK's had the rear of the receiver cut at an angle. Iron wood has a solution for those receivers, just make sure you know which one you have. Sometimes you cannot tell until you remove the thumbhole stock. Good luck, and post pics when you finish the conversion!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:19:54 AM EDT
[#5]
This lucky bastard in the lower pic above also have a bayonet and the cleaning rod on his.  Mine is about as neutered as they made them.  At least it didn't have one of those lame ass magwells that were manufactured to accept 10-round mags like some WASR's do.  I'll say this though: it's by far my oldest AK (almost 15 years) and has never failed to go *bang* with any and all ammo I've ever fed it.  Damn near 5,000 rounds in it by now and runs like a champ.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:06:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This lucky bastard in the lower pic above also have a bayonet and the cleaning rod on his.  Mine is about as neutered as they made them.  At least it didn't have one of those lame ass magwells that were manufactured to accept 10-round mags like some WASR's do.  I'll say this though: it's by far my oldest AK (almost 15 years) and has never failed to go *bang* with any and all ammo I've ever fed it.  Damn near 5,000 rounds in it by now and runs like a champ.

What are you talking about? Mine looked just like the neutered gun when I bought it. I bought the buttstock and cleaning rod from PolyTech in Georgia. The cleaning rod was only a few dollars too. The bayonet is a clamp-on style from Omega, only $55. I got the lower handguard with the bayonet cutout in a trade on the equipment exchange.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top