Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2009 5:00:45 PM EDT
I have about 900-950 rounds of 50's-70's mix of Russian, Chinese, Romanian, Iranian, Egyptian, and a few unknown mfg. mostly, if not all, steel core brass cased ammo. A very conservative guess would be that 30-35% are too corroded to shoot safely. About 15% appear to be mint and the rest might need to be hit with some steel wool first.

Any ideas?

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:02:15 PM EDT
[#1]

$50.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:11:02 PM EDT
[#2]
$35-40
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:21:47 PM EDT
[#3]
List it at Gunbroker.com and see................
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:07:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I have about 900-950 rounds of 50's-70's mix of Russian, Chinese, Romanian, Iranian, Egyptian, and a few unknown mfg. mostly, if not all, steel core brass cased ammo. A very conservative guess would be that 30-35% are too corroded to shoot safely. About 15% appear to be mint and the rest might need to be hit with some steel wool first.

Any ideas?

Get a cheap zipper pillowcase and a small bag of kitty litter.

Fill it with some of the ammo and a few scoops of litter , then tumble in clothes dryer ( NO HEAT )

Sort it out afterward (easier to see case damage )

I think  $15 per hundred would be fair with the current prices  

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:14:46 PM EDT
[#5]

[/quote]
Fill it with some of the ammo and a few scoops of litter , then tumble in clothes dryer ( NO HEAT )

[/quote]

How long should I tumble and about how many rounds at a time? For some reason I dont for see good things coming from this!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:47:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Why would u have a mix of ammo from so many different countries that is all corroded?

Something is fishy..
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:07:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Why would u have a mix of ammo from so many different countries that is all corroded?

Something is fishy..

Bought it from a guy that advertised it as 80's production Chinese Steel core, drove nearly two hours as the price was good, didnt inspect it well enough until I got home cause by the time we met it was dark and the ammo was loose in ammo cans. Realized I got ripped once I got home
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:07:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something is fishy..

Bought it from a guy that advertised it as 80's production Chinese Steel core, drove nearly two hours as the price was good, didnt inspect it well enough until I got home cause by the time we met it was dark and the ammo was loose in ammo cans. Realized I got ripped once I got home

If you paid more then $100 for that shit you got ripped. I'm betting 99% I know where it came from(the guy u got it from in ohio).

He is selling shit tons of it on gunbroker.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:14:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something is fishy..

If you paid more then $100 for that shit you got ripped. I'm betting 99% I know where it came from(the guy u got it from in ohio).

Yep.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:01:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Take it as a loss. If you dont youll be posting about your AK is SKS that blew up. Seriously, its not worth your safety.

I have seen people tumble laoded ammo before. It causes the powder to break down and causes HUGE inconsistiencies. Along with the corroded (Weakened) cases your highly likely to have an accident.

If you want to make use pull the components and salvage what you can.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:58:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something is fishy..

Yep.

Just so you know...........

That ammo was stored in a BARN in ohio for the better part of 20 years, straight from the seller's mouth.
It is ammo, that was to be included in the sale of multiple transferable machine guns, however, that buyer saw the condition of the ammo and rejected it being included in the deal.
He only bought the machineguns and left the ammo due to the condition. Seller stated there was a mix of 1.1 million rds of 7.62x39 and israeli 223 which was also corroded heavily.

I wouldn't shoot that stuff if it was given to me free, the guy bought it years ago as "battlefield pickup" per the seller...

Be careful. Pull the bullets and cut your losses.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:08:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

[/quote]

How long should I tumble and about how many rounds at a time? For some reason I dont for see good things coming from this!

[/quote]

I forsee a somewhat "ventilated" dryer.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:22:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Seller stated there was a mix of 1.1 million rds of 7.62x39 and israeli 223 which was also corroded heavily.

Oh gawd, The angels are weeping.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top