Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/14/2009 9:01:45 AM EDT
I just picked this up yesterday at a show for $399. The first thing that is obvious is the finish is excellent, both on the wood and the metal. It's way nicer than any of my other AK's. These are made 100% in Serbia at Zastava, not assembled kits built here and you can tell. These were just imported for the first time by EAA as you can tell by the very low serial number (mine is under 100). Parts fit is very good. The trigger is double hook and pull is decent for an AK, although not as nice as my MAK-90. It uses single stack magazines so you cannot use standard AK mags without modification. The mag it comes with fits well and is easily to insert and remove. As for the stock, it is attached to the reciever by a long bolt which threads into a hole in the rear of the receiver. Standard AK stocks will not fit. I suppose it would be possible to mod certain thumbhole stocks like the Choate or factory MAK-90 stocks since they don't actually slide into the receiver. The thumbhole stock is designed well and comfortable. One compliant I have about the stock on these is that the comb is very high which makes use of the iron sights difficult. Although, you will appreciate the high comb if you plan on using optics. It does have a side rail so any standard side mounted AK optics or rails should work fine.

Basically this rifle is exactly what you'd expect from Zastava and is by far the best AK for the money you can get right now.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:04:24 AM EDT
[#1]
 more info on the stock please.  grats
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:33:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice pics.  I am very happy with my PAP as well.  The quality is outstanding, as one would expect from Zastava.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:35:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Sweet! Range report?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:37:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Thank You So Much for the Info and Pics!  

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:01:26 AM EDT
[#5]
How easy will it be to convert to standard AK mags? Can we get some pics inside the mag well?

Also, is the rear of the receiver where the stock inserts slant cut?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:18:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How easy will it be to convert to standard AK mags? Can we get some pics inside the mag well?

Yes, the receiver is slant cut.

Converting to double stack is definitely possible. It does have some steel guides inside the mag well that would need to be removed though:

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:36:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for posting, nice rifle.

If you happen to take the stock off, could you post some pics of the rear end of the reciever & the front of the stock?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:59:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Excellent write-up, thanks!  Do you plan on converting to high cap or do you plan on leaving it single stack?  Do you think there's any way to convert it to a normal style stock or is that not possible at this current point in time?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:23:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the pictorial review! The PAP rifles look very nice!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:59:20 PM EDT
[#10]
wow very nice, now all we need is some poly or wood stocks for it, open up that magwell, and replace the fcg
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:22:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry if this is a dumb question but what is that screw looking thing above the two pins at the rear of the receiver? It looks like it sticks up into the cutout for the recoil guide too in the other picture?

Also, these are basically Yugo AK's right? how hard would a Tabuk makover be?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:56:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sorry if this is a dumb question but what is that screw looking thing above the two pins at the rear of the receiver? It looks like it sticks up into the cutout for the recoil guide too in the other picture?

It locks the recoil spring in place. You push the button on the left side to release it.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:52:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Damn you!  Now I want one.   Looks like it's beautifully done.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Call me crazy, but It looks to me that it would take only modest woodworking skills to remove the pistolgrip portion of that stock and end up with a good looking piece.
That way the receiver isn't an issue.

I'm tempted to get one of these myself - it would be a fun little project converting it over.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#15]
"read owners manual before shooting"

Way to screw up a good gun
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:15:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Thats really nice. The stock is a beauty.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:20:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Good review...............Thanks................
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:40:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, the receiver is slant cut.

Converting to double stack is definitely possible. It does have some steel guides inside the mag well that would need to be removed though:

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/9641/dsc0009brp.jpg
I converted a single stack WASR once. Its really easy.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:17:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Pics of the slant receiver.....please.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:27:24 AM EDT
[#20]
+1 bump!!!
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:58:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
+1 bump!!!
Quoted:

+2

If it isn't too much trouble... I'd love to see a pic of the slant cut rear.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:01:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Would someone be better off converting a Saiga or a Zastava?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:04:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
+1 bump!!!
Quoted:

+2

If it isn't too much trouble... I'd love to see a pic of the slant cut rear.

+3
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:32:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Here's a scan of the exploded parts diagram from the manual. It clearly shows what the rear of the receiver looks like. The only thing weird is that in this diagram the receiver looks to be square cut. The receiver on my rifle is actually slant cut.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:34:53 AM EDT
[#25]
I wonder if replacing the rear trunnion is an option to putting a standard Kalashnikova/Crvena Zastava stock on this bad boy.  Someone asking if it would be easier to convert a Zastava or a Saiga/Izhmash: the answer at this point is a Saiga as noone's converted a Zastava yet.  I'm dying to see who's going to be the first in line to Kalashnikov-ize one of the things.  Turn it back into a  Zastava Oružje M-70.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:47:02 AM EDT
[#26]

um, this IS a Zastava

Mine arrives this week. Thanks for the extra pics, especially of the (soon to be dremeled on mine) mag-pit travesty.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:53:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

um, this IS a Zastava

Mine arrives this week. Thanks for the extra pics, especially of the (soon to be dremeled on mine) mag-pit travesty.

Reading comprehension is key.  The question was A or B, not whether B or C is better than A.  

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:34:22 AM EDT
[#28]
I wonder if this would work:

or

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:14:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:10:10 PM EDT
[#30]
mako, congrats on the purchase thats a nice piece.  does it have chrome lined barrel?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:12:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Parts diagram doesn't show a slant cut receiver, but it does show a trunnion with a unique stock interface.

The rivet pattern looks the same as a regular M70, though, so you could probably put a "real" Yugo rear trunnion in there.

Wouldn't surprise me if a US company starts making traditional Yugo-style stocks with that interface (or if a US company starts making 922r compliant converted rifles out of these).

I am going to corner the market in rear turnnions.    
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:19:15 PM EDT
[#32]
That rear trunnion looks like a yugo rpk.  The yugo rpk rear stock looks like a regular stock, not like a romanian aes10b. I bet the regular yugo stock would fit it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:48:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Now why would they stamp "read owners manual before use" on it Lame.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:33:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Zastava... all they need is to have the mag well opened up to accept standard AK mags.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:29:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Parts diagram doesn't show a slant cut receiver, but it does show a trunnion with a unique stock interface.

The rivet pattern looks the same as a regular M70, though, so you could probably put a "real" Yugo rear trunnion in there.

Wouldn't surprise me if a US company starts making traditional Yugo-style stocks with that interface (or if a US company starts making 922r compliant converted rifles out of these).

No slant cut and it looks like a standard M-70 rear trunnion to me. So, Ironwood made set for Zastava AK's and you're good to go.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:31:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Damn... from another forum (not my pic)...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:16:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Oh well, just tool the stock to fit the reciever.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:20:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Standard M-70 trunnion, just cut to fit the slant cut receiver...

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:04:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Call me crazy, but It looks to me that it would take only modest woodworking skills to remove the pistolgrip portion of that stock and end up with a good looking piece.

I'm tempted to get one of these myself - it would be a fun little project converting it over.

The problem is, you can't install a separate pistol grip without some serious cutting in the receiver at least, that's the way it looks to me.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:05:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Zastava... all they need is to have the mag well opened up to accept standard AK mags.

Is there a bullet guide in the Zastava?

Also, by boring out the mag well, don't you run into 922r?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:00:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Does this rifle use the large stem bolt of the AK47 or the smaller stem bolt of the 74?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:09:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Slant cut, single stack and barrel turned down so it can't be threaded...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:14:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The problem is, you can't install a separate pistol grip without some serious cutting in the receiver at least, that's the way it looks to me.

That may be true, but I own 2 milling machines, so it's no sweat to me to start removing material
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:51:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yes you can..take a look a few posts up...the pistol grip lug is still intact and a Yugo pistol grip fit just fine without any mods....Just screwed the PG bolt right in ....
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:45:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/3879/dsc0005kbo.jpg

I was so excited about converting one until I saw this.  Will still buy one, but probably just modify the magwell and fit compliance parts.
At least it has dimples behind the spacer plates-lets hope that they offer the correct width for double stack mags.

Can rivets be removed without damaging the finish of the receiver?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:57:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/3879/dsc0005kbo.jpg

I was so excited about converting one until I saw this.  Will still buy one, but probably just modify the magwell and fit compliance parts.
At least it has dimples behind the spacer plates-lets hope that they offer the correct width for double stack mags.

Can rivets be removed without damaging the finish of the receiver?
Thanks.

Im thinking the same thing..Leaving the butthole stock and just opening the magwell/complaince parts....The butthole stock isnt all that bad actually...they certainly put a lot of work into it...both in wood quality and finnish.

As for the rivets....go very slowly with the dremel and you can remove them....I have a Yugo receiver rear end with a good rear trunion that I was thinking of using for this project, but Ill probably hold off for now...(and no I dont want to sell it)
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:18:15 PM EDT
[#47]

Looks like somebody could quickly fill a market niche by manufacturing conversion rear trunnions.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:47:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Someone check my count: to comply with 922r you would pretty much HAVE to replace the stock so that you can us a US-made pistol grip. Is that why everyone is so concerned about the stock? Frankly I kinda like the look of that stock.

But to be compliant you have to replace:

hammer

trigger

disconnector

grip

gas piston

That would do it (no muzzle device or US-made muzzle device)

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:57:42 PM EDT
[#49]
You know we are probly all for de-banning this thing,..... but for some reason I kinda like it  the way it is!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
You know we are probly all for de-banning this thing,..... but for some reason I kinda like it  the way it is!!

I agree.  For $400 it would make a nice addition to any collection with the wood as is.  Have to get rid of the stupid looking mag though!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top