Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/13/2009 5:23:04 PM EDT
I don't have a classic shedpard hook that actually looks like a shepard hook on my ak.  The one I have coils around the safety selector lever.  It isn't the replacement plate, but it isn't a classic shepard hook, and I cannot figure out how to get it back in.  Any info?

Thanks,
Monkey
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:50:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I just buy e-clips from the hardware store and dispense with the shephard's hook.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:58:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Or the small 'hair pin' clips. Here's a link to the thread: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=119796
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:27:46 PM EDT
[#3]
If this is what you have, it's really easy to install. Slip the small curved end under the hammer pin making sure it seats in the groove. Slip the wound coil over the end of the selector lever and push down to install the selector lever in its hole in the left side. Make sure that the wire is on top of the groove in the trigger pin when you push the selector lever in. I've never had one of these back off and let one of the pins loose.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:09:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I just buy e-clips from the hardware store and dispense with the shephard's hook.

E clips don't work well with the groove on the fcg pins. E clips are designed to work in a groove with flat sides that meet the floor at a 90 degree angle. As a result the Eclips will walk off the pin and sometimes break.
Hair pin clips (or hitch pin clips for the trigger pin) work well.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:54:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

E clips don't work well with the groove on the fcg pins. E clips are designed to work in a groove with flat sides that meet the floor at a 90 degree angle. As a result the Eclips will walk off the pin and sometimes break.
Hair pin clips (or hitch pin clips for the trigger pin) work well.

++1

Had this happen to me too with E clips. Don't use them. BSW
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:44:02 AM EDT
[#6]
E CLips ae a terrible choice,they fall out when you dont want them to, and they are difficult to remove when you do want to.

Get a Factory Wire Retainer or a RSA Retainer Plate.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:08:08 PM EDT
[#7]
No problem so far with e-clips on my WASR, but I guess I'll look for hitch pins next time I'm at the hardware store.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:15:04 PM EDT
[#8]
RSA Retainer Plate
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:14:54 PM EDT
[#9]
RSA Retainer Plate

These little babies slide in like butter !!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:44:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Lot of good advice already but want to add.

If your ( that's anybody ) going to use the hitch pin clips, make sure to get ones that set into the groove and take up as much space as possible, not to loose and not so tight they don't set in all the way.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:04:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No problem so far with e-clips on my WASR, but I guess I'll look for hitch pins next time I'm at the hardware store.

A friend built 17 kits using the e-clips a few years ago.  I have one that must have close to 5,000 rounds on it already.  Another friend used them in his Saiga 12 conversion, no problems there either.  

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:04:52 AM EDT
[#12]
If you don't pull your fire control parts (hammer, trigger & disconnector) then a e-clip as a one time set it and forget it will work OK.

However I do believe that they don't do well if you remove and replace the e-clips a couple of times.  It is tough for many people to pull the e-clips and reset them without some specialized tools.

I'm a big believer in the Hitch clip pins as they are easer to remove and replace over and over as needed without tools.  (I shoot a lot of corrosive and pull out the interior parts to deep clean after shooting)

Plates are the Ultimate solution for quick and easy in & out, but also cost most of the options available.

My .02 cents / Your Mileage May Vary

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:42:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you don't pull your fire control parts (hammer, trigger & disconnector) then a e-clip as a one time set it and forget it will work OK.

However I do believe that they don't do well if you remove and replace the e-clips a couple of times.  It is tough for many people to pull the e-clips and reset them without some specialized tools.

I'm a big believer in the Hitch clip pins as they are easer to remove and replace over and over as needed without tools.  (I shoot a lot of corrosive and pull out the interior parts to deep clean after shooting)

Plates are the Ultimate solution for quick and easy in & out, but also cost most of the options available.

BIGGER_HAMMER

Those hitch pins do honestly sound like the best idea, are you getting them at a hardware store?  The e-clips have worked well for me, but they are a one-time deal.  I put them on with small pliers and they aren't easily removable.  

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:54:47 PM EDT
[#14]
This help?

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:15:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER

Those hitch pins do honestly sound like the best idea, are you getting them at a hardware store?  The e-clips have worked well for me, but they are a one-time deal.  I put them on with small pliers and they aren't easily removable.  

The local Ace Hardware sells them. Take a pin with you and buy the size that fits the best.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:28:48 AM EDT
[#16]
I haven't used the one that wraps around the safety lever but that sure seems like a great idea.  I had the hammer in my FCG snap clean in half on my Arsenal Bulgaria SLR-105 and had to take out the Shepherd's Crook to replace the hammer.  I wish mine had been the one that the picture above represents.  It would have been a helluva lot easier to get in and out.  I'm still not convinced I have a tight fit in the one that I put back in.  One of these days I'm going to get around to ordering a couple retaining plates and just be done with it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 8:32:45 AM EDT
[#17]
"hitch pins" here too. I buy mine from Home Depot out of the Hilliard Collection of misc. fasteners etc....They sell them in packs of two for $.50. I think I use the 3/16" ones, they also work well in my primer tubes...so I keep alot of them around.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top