Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2009 9:34:29 PM EDT
As I have posted before, I have been away from the gun game for some time and have been getting back into it over the last year.  I finally took my Bulgarian SLR-95 out for a spin again for the first time in years.  Still shoots like a dream and the iron sights are some of the best I have ever used.  It was like I had never packed it away.  I still need to get the rest of the parts I need to make it 922(r) compliant, though.

Gawd, I will never be able to enjoy a rattletrap AK, this thing has me so spoiled.  Will take a proper scoring target along next time and post pics after.  It is that damned good.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:47:42 PM EDT
[#1]
most AK are shooting crappy surplus ammo from questionable countries.

put some handloads or some good Federal ammo through it and suddenly it's not so inaccurate anymore.

my MAADI will shoot 10 shots into 3" at 100 with irons from a bench, when i shoot U.S. made Federals.  if i throw some WOLF into the mag it does 9" groups.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:51:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
my MAADI will shoot 10 shots into 3" at 100 with irons from a bench, when i shoot U.S. made Federals.  if i throw some WOLF into the mag it does 9" groups.

Wow, that's a big difference!

Which Maadi do you have?
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 7:07:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I had the barrel of a Mak 90 cut and recrowned. It really tightened up the groups. I have an NHM 90 that shoots 2-3" groups at 100 yards. My Romanian, about 8" at 100.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:49:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Now I remember why I ignore people that generalize
all AK's as inaccurate.

I ignore them because, usually, these folks haven't shot
"all AKs" and because they may be ignoring their own
marksmanship skill level.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:46:13 AM EDT
[#5]
You shoot it but you still need 922r compliant parts = felony, and you post that you did this!

Am I missing something here?
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 12:18:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You shoot it but you still need 922r compliant parts = felony, and you post that you did this!

The SLR-95 is a ban compliant AK that is completely 922r compliant.
I believe he was stating that he wants to de-ban it and needs to get the 922r compliant parts in order to do so.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 2:16:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Probably, but you need to be missing your need to be obnoxious and point it out in a public forum like you are the class tattle tale.   we have a PM system for many reasons and this is one of them.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:24:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably, but you need to be missing your need to be obnoxious and point it out in a public forum like you are the class tattle tale.   we have a PM system for many reasons and this is one of them.

+1.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:30:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The SLR-95 is a ban compliant AK that is completely 922r compliant.
I believe he was stating that he wants to de-ban it and needs to get the 922r compliant parts in order to do so.

You are correct, sir.  The only replacement parts I have ordered so far are the trigger groups, and they are still sealed in their bags from the factory.  I haven't changed a thing out on the rifle and won't be doing so until I have all of the parts to do it all at once.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:34:00 PM EDT
[#10]
People desribe it as inaccurate because they shoot Wolf out of a stamped Romanian, or just never shot one to begin with.
A milled 5.56 or a good 5.45 while not as accurate as an M4gery are a damn  sight more accurate than people give the AK credit for.
Their loss. and their ignorance.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:16:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I have found that in any romy, hungarian, bulgarian or yugo variant that I have, invariably, the winchester/federal stuff knocks 2 to 3 inches off of the group sizes. In fact, my SLR95 grouped 6 to 8 inches at 100 yards with mid 90's Bulgarian surplus, 4 to 5 inches with early 70's chinese steel core, 8 inches with 60's east german surplus, 3 to 4 inches with new wolf Hp, and 3 inches and under with new winchester / federal. Sold it before I could test yugo but that ammo groups within 2 inches with my scoped Romy(6x POSP) at 100 yds, whereas the wolf goes into 3 inches at the same distance.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:36:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
People desribe it as inaccurate because they shoot Wolf out of a stamped Romanian, or just never shot one to begin with.
A milled 5.56 or a good 5.45 while not as accurate as an M4gery are a damn  sight more accurate than people give the AK credit for.
Their loss. and their ignorance.

Stamped or Milled, any difference in accuracy is not due to this.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:16:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I had ArmoryUSA put a rifle together for me from a pristine Romy G kit and one of their 1.6mm receivers. With Wolf ammo I can shoot 5-6 inch groups at 100 yards. Since the best I can do at 100 yds with irons is around 3 inches I consider that quite acceptable for cheap Wolf ammo. Well, it used to be cheap.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:42:31 PM EDT
[#14]
my AES10B was able to hit a less than paper sized steel (cut out of a bird) target at 300 yards on irons.  but it wasn't me shooting though, it was another member here (he's ex-marine).  I can't even see said target at 300 yards =(      yes it was using wolf ammo.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:35:53 AM EDT
[#15]
at combat range, moving targets at 30 to 100 yrds, the AK can and does hit it's targets. Easily. Do I need to shoot every target dead center, no. I don't care who you are, you get hit, even with a .22, and you're gonna go down. Are you completely out, depends on the person. But unless I have to have a head shot everytime, my AK's do great. As for the AES10B, probably the best $ I ever spent for a gun. With my PK-A red dot, me and my buddies (who never shoot) we dancing cans at 100+ yrds.

It's like anything else in life, be soccer, football, baseball or video games. Practice makes perfect. AK's are more than acuurate enough for their intended use.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:23:08 AM EDT
[#16]
hafta agree w/ya.  I regret not buying 2 more when they were $400 each.  its 1 of the funnest, most accurate AKs to shoot.

Quoted:
As for the AES10B, probably the best $ I ever spent for a gun.  

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:44:58 AM EDT
[#17]
I like the previous poster that mentioned the 5.56 or 5.45.  I've been taking my tricked out M-4 in a monthly competition and do well with it.  However, my AKS-74 with Kobra red-dot in 5.45 seems to be able to keep up with everything these guys and their tricked out M-4's are using.  And a lot of them are handloading their own ammo.  Mine comes out of a Russian 1080 count spam can that's God knows how old.  I don't give a shit what anybody says, that AK-74 system with some sort of Russian red-dot keeps up with an M-4 and an EOTech any day of the week.

However.......I watch some of the other shooters that pride themselves on how fast they can clear a malfunction in their AR's.  Funny, I have an AK.......it DOESN'T malfunction.  

p.s.  I have 1 AR and 4 AK's.  Which side do you think I lean toward???
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top