Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2009 6:39:26 PM EDT
I see my local gun store has a Lancaster AK in 7.62X39 and it is $900. I'm pretty sure it has a stamped receiver(don't quote me on that). The rifle looks very well made and it has a matching red stock(wood) set. Or should I buy a CZ 58? Same price. I'm not really all that worried about the prices just if the gun is quality.

http://www.lancasterarms.com/NEW%20STANDARD%20RIFLE.html
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 6:45:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Lancaster has a good reputation. Not sure I'd pay that much for the rifle. I have several AK's already, and have been eye balling the CZ's lately. Just remember, the CZ's don't take standard AK mags, but from what I have found out through research, are built really good, milled etc. I think the Lancaster's are stamped BTW. Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 7:41:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Lancaster has a good reputation. Not sure I'd pay that much for the rifle. I have several AK's already, and have been eye balling the CZ's lately. Just remember, the CZ's don't take standard AK mags, but from what I have found out through research, are built really good, milled etc. I think the Lancaster's are stamped BTW. Hope that helps.

Thanks for telling me about the CZ mags. I didn't know that they didn't take regular mags.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:57:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I spoke with Lancaster customer service about a month ago, and they claimed  that current builds are on Polish or Hungarian parts, new chromelined U.S. barrels, and auto carriers are not modified to semi.
If so, and the rifle is built on Nodak NDS-1 receiver, then it is worth $900.00.

I

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 3:20:59 AM EDT
[#4]
It is a very well made rifle.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:37:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Price seems really high to me. The bull market is over. I'd wait a bit. I paid $900 for a true bulgarian made  arsenal SA-93 which is said to be one of the best civilian ak's ever made, and that was 6 months ago.

You might also check aim surplus. They are currently selling Bulgarian AK-74's for $700. $200 cheaper than what you're considering and it would cut your ammo costs in half. Mags are not quite as easy to come by but that's a small price to pay for the ammo savings. Just a thought.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 8:44:34 AM EDT
[#6]

I'm chiming in on this one.  I got my Lancaster built Russian Red Underfolder at the beginning of last week.  I took her out last weekend and shot it for the first time.  Put a total of about 5 mags through it.  The rifle you're looking at is built the exact same as mine.  Mine just has the underfolder and accompanying trunnion for the stock.  It is built on a Nodak receiver which, unless you're a true AK newby, you'll know these are some of the best made receivers in the USA.  I think (although I really don't know for sure) that mine was built with Romy G parts.  The barrel was US made new and was chrome-lined and was in beautiful shape.  The trigger was a Tapco G2 double-hook that has got to be the best trigger out of any AK I've ever shot (and I own 4 of them).  It had a very crisp and easy break to it.  The finish of everything, including the stocks, was absolutely beautiful.  The rifle truly was beautiful coming straight out of the box.  And it shot as accurate as any 7.62 I've ever shot.  The sights hardly needed any adjusting with my sight tool.  I managed to get everything inside an 8" target at 100 yards with practically no effort, usually the classically shitty open Kalashnikov sights.  Sure, I paid a pretty penny for it.  It's not nearly as cheap as buying a WASR is but I've got something that's far prettier and I don't have to hit it with a Dremel all over the place just to get it working.

Bottom line is it's an expensive AK compared to others but you definitely get something for the added money.  You get something that's nicer than many others.  I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm already in the market for a replacement set of AK stocks to bring it directly in line with an AKMS.  The Russian Red stocks, while beautiful, are not historically accurate to real Russian stock sets any more than the blonde ones or some of the others.  But they do look nice.  I'm ordering a Russian sling for it and I think I'll be putting a Russian made AKMS handguard and pistol grip on it.  If I do I'll be sure and list the old stocks on the EE if anybody wants them.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:07:23 AM EDT
[#7]
that is pretty! Just to clarify, I wasn't saying it wasn't worth the $, just that I would not spend the $ on it. Sorry I'm an Arsenal snob

They are really nice though!
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 10:22:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Sure thing, homes.  I dind't take it as a jab at it at all.  I know that AK's are like everything: they're worth something different to anyone you ask.  I took have an Arsenal Bulgaria, as shows above.  I love the gun and it's a joy to shoot so I can see where you're coming from.  But considering the gun, the addition (and cost) of the stock, and the Russian Kobra I've got a lot more than $1000 in that one.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 10:52:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I think (although I really don't know for sure) that mine was built with Romy G parts.

Easy to check. On the left side of front trunnion there should be arsenal stamp.
If it's triangle, or arrow without fletching inside triangle, then it's Romanian.
Can you check if trunnion, carrier and bolt numbers match?
Is carrier auto? Semi?
I posted pic for you in case you are not familiar with auto carriers.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 11:12:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, I did notice that triangle on the front trunnion followed by 1986 and then serial number.  The company that built them actually went over that entire shpiel in white so it's very noticable.  I know the serial number matches on the front trunnion, dust cover (although I think that was stamped on after-the-fact), gas tube, and bolt.  However, the bolt carrier does have a different serial number and is very brightly polished.  The pic you sent was very informative and I never knew that about AK bolt carriers.  I kinda can't believe I've never heard that anywhere.  But I'm going to check it when I get home.  Also, the front trunnion has a rather faint G that seems embossed into it on the serial number side right there underneath where the leaf sight assembly is.  So I was right about it being a Romy G kit.  While that wouldn't be the first parts kit I would have chosen the job is beautiful.  I've seen and held some shitty, slapped-together AK's but this thing was carefully assembled with an eye for detail.  Everything on the rifle fit plenty tight, but nothing too tight.  Indicating some guys putting these together that knew what they were doing.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 11:14:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a Lancasteer and I love mine.I can't say however it's worth 900 scabs,maybe after I did all the stuff I've done to mine,but WOW,that's a chunk of change.I got mine just over a year ago for $550 from Atlantic firearms.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 3:04:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I got mine just over a year ago for $550 from Atlantic firearms.

That is as much as I will ever pay for an AK.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 3:06:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for all the great info.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 4:33:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Prices are not what they use to be due to the panic buyers. Shop around I have seen cheaper.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:25:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Got an update on my Lancaster Underfolder.  I checked the bolt carrier and, sure enough, it has the notch in it as shown in the previous pic by another poster.  As I said before, it's the only part that doesn't have a matching serial number.  Believe it or not I think I'll end up replacing the bolt carrier due to the fact that it's polished silver instead of black.  The Ruskies haven't really used a polished bolt carrier since the milled AK-47.  The AKMS, as well as the entire AKM series, all seemed to have the black ones by that time.  I think I'll be replacing the stocks on it too.  I know, the Russian red ones are pretty.  But they're not accurate and I'm a little more of a traditionalist.  I found a guy at http://www.rusmilitary.com/html/c-equip_belts.htm that sells original Soviet issue stock sets that I'll probably order.  I hate to hijack the thread but does anyone know of someone who can engrave the receiver with Cyrillic marks for Semi and Full?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:27:20 AM EDT
[#16]
My Lancaster Russian Red is built on a Romanian G kit (ala WASR) but it is the nicest of the AKs I own.  The fit, finish, and sturdiness are even better than my Arsenal.  (I'd take my Arsenal into a fight though, the Lancaster is just nicer!).  I paid...$750 I think?  Nice rifle.  Its my "classic" AK style rifle, won't be shooting it too much though. $900 is steep, heck $750 was steep for me.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:01:39 AM EDT
[#17]
They are nice, but IMO, they are not even close to being $900 nice.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:01:14 AM EDT
[#18]
It's all up to the individual.  What's worth $900 to one may not be to someone else.  That's typical free-enterprise for ya.  I paid a hefty fee for my Underfolder and I said, I'd never pay over $500 for an AK a few years back.  Alas, my AKS-74 and my newest one I paid a pretty penny for.  Hey, I don't plan on selling any of the crap I've got in my safe so it's worth it to me.  Sad part is I'll be spending some more money on both rifles soon!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:10:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I liked the Lancasters a lot better when they were <$600. Hopefully the prices come down to a more reasonable level in the next 6-12 months. I cant see spending $900 for  Rom G kit build. I hope  for that price you at least will get a NODAK receiver and not an OOW if it is a stamped receiver.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:44:39 AM EDT
[#20]
That, my good sir, you do.  They're all built on Nodak Spud receivers, as far as I can tell.  I know mine is.  That was a deciding factor in me springing for one.  But it is pretty expensive.  Especially for a rifle that didn't even cost a third of that where and when it was made.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:49:32 AM EDT
[#21]
they are nice, but not nice enough for $900. i don't think I would buy it even it were $700.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:39:24 PM EDT
[#22]
I've got one. It's terrific. No way in hell I'd pay $900 for it, though. I got mine from AtlanticFirearms a year and a half or so ago for nearly half of that

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:39:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Eh... I got mine exactly 23 days before I joined ARFCOM, for *drumroll* $500! After that, they were $475 at the Tanner gun show.(For one weekend only, IIRC). If its built on romanian parts, I'd convert a saiga. I'd wait for the prices to drop.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:05:15 PM EDT
[#24]
here is the way your gonna have to look at lancaster ak's.  as long as they are using romanian or polish kits they are being built from complete numbers matching kits with their original chrome-lined barrels which are going for $300 on up.    they have been blasted, parked, then gunkoted, most charge around $200 for that service.  the cheapest build service is around $200.  then you got the receiver which is an nds-1, $83.  u.s. piston and fcg $50.  figure the stock refinishing in there somewhere.  then you got the shipping cost to the builder.  if you had it done by someone it would end up costing right around the same price.

if you want to buy a $500 romanian there is nothing wrong with them, they should function just fine.  your choise will be a wasr 10/63 with no dimples, subpar metal finish, no wood finish, and lower overall quality build, or the gp75 which is romanian parts used on a nodak nds-3 receiver with an american non-chromed barrel and the shittiest syntetic stock there is.  neither will even come close in the looks deptartment.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top