Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2009 12:49:07 PM EDT
Had a chance to trade for a true Russian AKM kit ( star on front trunion and 1976 date ) Receiver stub matched the finish on the rest of the kit. Finish was well worn (about 10% of the original finish left). The receiver stub on the front trunion below the star and date had a proof mark that looked like a upside down triangle with a 2 in it. Everything matching #'s but the carrier. The wood was extremly worn. Any guess on the value of this?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 1:15:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd like to see pictures but I would say easily $450.00 to $500.00 for all matching numbers kit if the bore looks decent.  You could send the receiver stub off with a new receiver to get identical markings put on a new receiver.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 1:30:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Or have someone who knows what he's doing (and has the license) weld the receiver up.
There are a couple of guys out there who do beautiful work.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 1:47:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Or have someone who knows what he's doing (and has the license) weld the receiver up.

Do they weld up stamped receiver AK's?  At any rate I would say the kit is worth at least $400, a pic would be really helpful.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 2:01:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I would love to get my hands on a Tula kit like that.

I have a Tula-made SKS I got for $129.00, it had never been issued or fired.  I should have bought a dozen of them.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 2:12:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Do they weld up stamped receiver AK's?  

Welding a stamped receiver would be more trouble than it's worth. It's much easier to buy a receiver or bend a flat, and there aren't any receiver markings left when the receiver is cut up.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 2:17:52 PM EDT
[#6]
The OP sounds like he has a stamped receiver with a triangle and a 2 marking in it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 2:18:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Welding a stamped receiver would be more trouble than it's worth. It's much easier to buy a receiver or bend a flat, and there aren't any receiver markings left when the receiver is cut up.

That's what I figured, he said it is an AKM kit and those are stamped receivers.  I have seen pics of the milled rewelds and those sure look nice.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 2:35:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Or
Do they weld up stamped receiver AK's?  At any rate I would say the kit is worth at least $400, a pic would be really helpful.

That was along time ago..

800 plus
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:12:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't have any pics. I should have taken some so you all would have a better idea about what I was describing. The owner wants one of my Romy G builds and 500rds of 7.62x39 for the kit. No other markings that I could see on the receiver stubs other than the one proof mark that I mentioned it was located on the front receiver stub in between the two upper rivets, the mark was faint and smaller than the rivet heads. Bore seemed to be OK (bullet test left about 3/16" of the bullet showing before the casing) no pitting or rust. The front trunion and receiver cover on the inside showed 80-90% original finish. I can not get a hold of the guy this evening, I hope I didn't F-up buy passing on the deal this morning.

Worth the G build and ammo? I only have about $325 in the build and ammo (ammo, receiver, and G kit bought years ago) but todays prices are obviously higher.

Tapco unissued G kit $100
NoDak NDS-3 receiver $75
Ammo about $75
Compliance parts about $75
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:45:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Doesn't sound like a bad deal.  Wood can usually be fixed up.  Laminated?  Depending on rifle finish you can do some things to make the NDS receiver look like a match for the rifle finish and make a pretty decent looking clone.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:52:37 PM EDT
[#11]
The last Tula AKM kit that I saw sell on GunBroker went for $1250(it looked unfired and all the #'s matched).
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:27:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The OP sounds like he has a stamped receiver with a triangle and a 2 marking in it.

I may have misread the post. I can't tell 'cause it's been edited.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:53:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The last Tula AKM kit that I saw sell on GunBroker went for $1250(it looked unfired and all the #'s matched).

This.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:37:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:38:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I may have misread the post. I can't tell 'cause it's been edited.

Upside triangle with a "2" in it?? Sounds like an Iraqi "Jeem" mark... basically Iraqi property....
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 12:14:23 PM EDT
[#16]
No joy! he had traded it yesterday.
The only thing edited was I noted that the star and date were on the rear trunion and I wanted to say rear of front trunion so the edit was isolated to " rear changed to front"
Thank you for everyones input but I F'ed up and missed the deal.

Iraq property - would that mean it came from the sandbox and how would that have affected its value?  I'm betting I f'ed up big time.

(Edited for lack of question mark.)
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 12:28:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Looked at "JEEM" mark here

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=84568

To the best of my memory that is the mark I saw on the receiver stub.
Anyone want to come over and kick me in the ass for passing on this.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:06:58 PM EDT
[#18]
That would've been quite a nice kit for a project - a Tula and with the Iraqi Ministry of Defense acceptance mark, to boot.  You win some, you lose some.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:43:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The only thing edited was I noted that the star and date were on the rear trunion and I wanted to say rear of front trunion so the edit was isolated to " rear changed to front"

I misread the post. It won't be the last time.
Sorry to hear you missed the kit.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top