Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2009 4:44:06 PM EDT
ETA: I'm keeping it. I let my eyes take over my brain.
ETA: I'm still keeping the Polytech and I'm getting an SLR-106F at the same time. Oh what a good boy am I!

I've wanted an AK-101 clone for quite some time now and I have a guy who wants to trade me his almost brand new Arsenal SLR-106FR for my Polytech double underfolder. I hardly ever shoot the Polytech since it's more of my "collectors" piece then my range baby. They're both about on par as far as price goes, and he is (I think) adding cash to the deal. But I'm still waiting to hear back from him on that one. Eh, this is killing me.

So it's this:

For this:
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:13:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Hell no!!!
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:17:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hell no!!!

Reason?
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:24:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hell no!!!

Reason?

I've heard of all sorts of stories of woe about the Arsenals. And besides. it's only a Frankenstein rifle built from parts, you could convert a Saiga to a similar configuration for a lot less.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:26:06 PM EDT
[#4]
PLUS

more accurate (5.56 Vs &.62 AK)
Common US ammo
Optic Rail
Folder but MUCH more comfortable

MINUS

special and more expensive mags for 5.56
PreBans get premium prices in BAN states

Check the serial number prefix on the 106 (BD) = good

BIGGER_HAMMER

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:36:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I would keep the double folder. Not a dime a dozen rifle. Also, the 106's are still being made, you have time to save up and have both!
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:40:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would keep the double folder. Not a dime a dozen rifle. Also, the 106's are still being made, you have time to save up and have both!

Strongly agree with this.

Personally I like the 106 better for my tastes, but the Polytech is much more unique. I would save up for the 106 if I were you.

Z
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:45:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hell no!!!

Reason?

I've heard of all sorts of stories of woe about the Arsenals. And besides. it's only a Frankenstein rifle built from parts, you could convert a Saiga to a similar configuration for a lot less.

Wow you're right. I've heard nothing but great things about Arsenals but then I just did some reading on their 5.56 rifles. Geez. Not as "Kalashnikov" reliable as their 7.62 guns.

I've decided that I'm going to keep it and just convert my 16" Saiga .223. The only REAL reason that I didn't go this route before was because I can't find a solid folding stock for the life of me that doesn't cost more than the rifle itself, and that I don't really trust myself to install it.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:48:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
PLUS

more accurate (5.56 Vs &.62 AK)
Common US ammo
Optic Rail
Folder but MUCH more comfortable

MINUS

special and more expensive mags for 5.56
PreBans get premium prices in BAN states

Check the serial number prefix on the 106 (BD) = good

BIGGER_HAMMER

Well luckily I got 15 Bulgy 5.56 mags with my Saiga .223 when I traded. So I wouldn't have had to worry about that.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:59:27 PM EDT
[#9]
keep the double underfolder bro I believe the value on them will keep rising. The value on the SLR not so much.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:06:14 PM EDT
[#10]
If it was me and I sold the Polytech - I'd forever be kicking myself in the a$$ after the newness of the new rifle wore off.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:18:16 PM EDT
[#11]
You want the Arsenal and he wants your Polytech; nothing unreasonable there.  But don't get cheated in the process.

Make the trade, but he has to give you at least $400.00 to boot.  More would be better, but it all depends on how good of a friend this is, and how good of a deal you want to give him.  With that, it starts to resemble a fair trade.  

Otherwise, sell the Polytech for going price (which I've seen as high as 2k) and just buy yourself an Arsenal, a case of ammo, and a dozen top quality magazines; and still have enough money to take the wife out for a GOOD dinner and a movie.

If you're still in a trading mood, I'll offer you a better trade.  I have a brand new SGL-20 stil in the box with one magazine, and a brand new Aimpoint CompM3, also still in the box, with quick detach mount, and Weaver AK sidemount that I'll trade for your Chinese under-folder.  Now there's an Arsenal WITH a $450 scope and $150 mount.  That's much closer to a fair trade.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:19:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hell no!!!

Reason?

Wow you're right. I've heard nothing but great things about Arsenals but then I just did some reading on their 5.56 rifles. Geez. Not as "Kalashnikov" reliable as their 7.62 guns.

I've decided that I'm going to keep it and just convert my 16" Saiga .223. The only REAL reason that I didn't go this route before was because I can't find a solid folding stock for the life of me that doesn't cost more than the rifle itself, and that I don't really trust myself to install it.

Thanks guys.

Much better choice.  If you are set on getting rid of the double underfolder sell it on gunbroker for a crazy high starting price.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:27:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Hell no!!!!
Keep the polytech!!
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:29:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Hell i will trade you my slr 106 for your polytech! Ive always wanted a secound Poly double underfoler ;)
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:59:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't trade!  Keep that double underfolder. No Arsenal AK is worth trading for your Polytech. You have the Holy Grail of Polytechs. Nuff said.  GARY  N4KVE
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:01:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
ETA: I'm keeping it.

Good move. That rifle will serve you well for decades. And they don't exactly "grow on trees" these days.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 7:21:28 AM EDT
[#17]
For anyone interested, Krebs Custom has a double underfolder that just went up in the "consignment" section"
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:54:57 PM EDT
[#18]
You made a WISE Decision grasshopper.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:01:45 PM EDT
[#19]
dude keep the double underfolder
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:02:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You made a WISE Decision grasshopper.  

Thanks. And seriously, after I read everyone's comments and really thought about it I was pissed at myself for even considering it. I KNOW for a fact that I would have regretted that after.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 6:45:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Well turns out I'm getting what I want after all! I put up my spare FN Five-seveN and 300 rounds of SS195 for sale (I already have another USG model and I also have an IOM) and the very first offer I get is to trade for a LNIB SLR-106F (BD prefix) with all the factory goodies, an UltiMAK rail, some Bulgy mags, and some spare parts. He said that he's fired about 200 rounds through it with a BUNCH of different types of ammo ranging from Wolf to M855 with no issues.

And the best part is I get to keep the Polytech. It's a win-win situation.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 8:31:09 AM EDT
[#22]
 Grats glad to hear!!
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 8:36:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well turns out I'm getting what I want after all! I put up my spare FN Five-seveN and 300 rounds of SS195 for sale (I already have another USG model and I also have an IOM) and the very first offer I get is to trade for a LNIB SLR-106F (BD prefix) with all the factory goodies, an UltiMAK rail, some Bulgy mags, and some spare parts. He said that he's fired about 200 rounds through it with a BUNCH of different types of ammo ranging from Wolf to M855 with no issues.

And the best part is I get to keep the Polytech. It's a win-win situation.

Beer All Around!!!  Our lucky friend here is buying!!!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 11:16:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Good decision.  I would hold on to the Polytech for sure.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top