Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/24/2009 3:57:22 PM EDT
I went shooting today and my welded muzzle brake on my SSR-85  came off while shooting. I was with several people, so I don't know who was firing when it happened. No one even noticed. I didn't notice it was missing until I got home and cleaned my rifle.

The threads are turned off completely. What should I do? I'd like to be able to put an AK-74 brake on there.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 4:08:47 PM EDT
[#1]

Get a U.S AK brake and have a guns shop solder it on -no threads/ no parts count issue.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 4:13:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I just cheated and reamed out an A2 birdcage and got out the wire welder for my crappy old WASR10. It looks alright, not great. Who cares though, its an AK.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 4:29:56 PM EDT
[#3]
lol, you guys.

Link Posted: 1/24/2009 5:08:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 5:32:15 PM EDT
[#5]
But how and why did this happen? One might assume that a bullet or bullets struck the brake.. but how could that have come to pass?

-L
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 5:49:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey I just had to buy it to commemorate this historic inauguration! If I said piss on barack hitler obama does that make it better. You know the only difference between obama and osama is a little b&s.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 7:23:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Does the brake show any signs of a bullet strike or do you think the recoil eventually knocked the solder/weld loose causing it to fly off?

Link Posted: 1/24/2009 8:26:50 PM EDT
[#8]
SSR85 rifles are pretty bottom feeder. I suspect that the JB weld they used to attach that brake failed.

BSW
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 8:34:01 PM EDT
[#9]
There have been reports of brakes coming off of the SSR85 rifles.

The tiny bit of weld that was used to hold on my brake must have loosened over the hundreds of rounds I've fired since getting it last year in March.

Like I said, I didn't notice the brake coming off. It may have come off when one of my less observant friends was shooting and I was playing with my M38.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 8:41:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

SSR85 rifles are pretty bottom feeder. I suspect that the JB weld they used to attach that brake failed.

BSW
As the owner of one (TGI version, threaded muzzle), I couldn't disagree more.  Do you own one?  Or are you simply going off what someone on the internet told you?

My SSR-85 has proven itself to be a very solid rifle that while not completely refined, is certainly not a "bottom feeder".

Link Posted: 1/24/2009 9:18:21 PM EDT
[#11]
You (OP) may be able to thread the barrel 1/2x28. If so, there are slant brakes
made with this thread. Its the more common AR15 muzzle thread, so you may
have a gun shop near, or do it yourself.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 9:45:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

BSW

My SSR-85 is better than any WASR, Romy G, Maadi, MAK 90, Yugo, AMD, etc. I've ever handled. Bottom feeder...
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 9:48:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You (OP) may be able to thread the barrel 1/2x28. If so, there are slant brakes
made with this thread. Its the more common AR15 muzzle thread, so you may
have a gun shop near, or do it yourself.

I'd really like to put on an AK-74 brake. Are there 7.62 brakes in 1/2x28?

Would welding on a new brake result in the same problem again?

What about a new front sight base that has 24mm threads?
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 10:42:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I just cheated and reamed out an A2 birdcage and got out the wire welder for my crappy old WASR10. It looks alright, not great. Who cares though, its an AK.

Thats something I would do.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 1:27:42 AM EDT
[#15]
I am aware of Bushmaster making a '74 brake in 1/2x28.
There are also thread adaptors that can be used for different
applications/brakes.

As long as you get the brake on straight in relation to the bore,
you should be good as far as rewelding.

As for the 24mm FSB, yes you could do that, but double check the dia.
of the barrel first. Different barrel dia. are listed on AA-OK AK parts website.

http://aa-ok.com/images/product_images/0000/4415/aktech

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:36:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

My SSR-85 is better than any WASR, Romy G, Maadi, MAK 90, Yugo, AMD, etc. I've ever handled.

Thousands of those rifles have been made. Millions of cartridges have been fired through them without launching the muzzle brake, and you think yours is better than all of them?

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:48:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Looks like we may be talking about apples and oranges. Seems the SSR-85 projects has been passed around more than a whore when the fleet is in town.

I was able to find these comments from an older thread.

"You are correct. Global Trades made the SSR 85B & SSR 85C 5 or 6 years ago from #'s matching Polish kits. B for stamped kits & C for milled kits. They were built on FEG receivers which are probably the best stamped ones around. Quality was Awesome, but being built during the ban they had no bayo lug, & the slant break was pinned on. The current guns are SSR 85C2. The project was started by Global but now they are imported by TGI as Global is gone. They are built in Bulgaria by ISD [whoever they are] on Global 1.6 receivers & Bulgy AK 47 kits. The earlier guns are far superior quality wise in my opinion..."

and

"They are manufactured in Bulgaria by Bulgaria ISD. There is no affiliation with Arsenal Bulgaria. They come in as single stack mags and then the magwell is opened up here by TGI. At that point the compliance parts are installed. The first ones were produced by Arsenal USA(not Arsenal Las Vegas) and had a slant that was tack welded and a lot of people said flew off. Good rifle."

Both quotes are from this thread: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=115229

BSW
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:55:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

BSW

My Bulgarian SSR 85C2 has a threaded barrel and is not a bottom feeder......

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:50:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If my slant blows off I'll prolly just tape it back or leave it off...

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 8:02:01 AM EDT
[#20]
I was just about to comment with this but you beat me to it - not all of these rifles are created equal. Apparently some are great and some have issues.

Quoted:
Looks like we may be talking about apples and oranges. Seems the SSR-85 projects has been passed around more than a whore when the fleet is in town.

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 9:06:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My SSR-85 is better than any WASR, Romy G, Maadi, MAK 90, Yugo, AMD, etc. I've ever handled.

Thousands of those rifles have been made. Millions of cartridges have been fired through them without launching the muzzle brake, and you think yours is better than all of them?

Because my muzzle brake was welded on due to retarded import laws makes it a bad rifle? I'm speaking from a fit and finish and standpoint. Find me any of the rifles I listed that will shoot 3 MOA if the shooter does his part.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 10:07:02 AM EDT
[#22]
I think this issue only occurs with the earlier models of this rifle with the tack welded break. The later threaded versions made after the ban appear to not have this problem from what I've read.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:48:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I think this issue only occurs with the earlier models of this rifle with the tack welded break. The later threaded versions made after the ban appear to not have this problem from what I've read.

I don't know of many that were made during the ban except the ones built by Global Trades on FEG and a few other receivers.  Those early ones had threaded barrels from the parts kits and the slant brake was welded on.  No way one of those early ban period muzzle brakes would go flying down range with threads and a weld.

The current ones were built in Bulgaria by ISD and were imported into the US by a few different companies but originally GT.  Some took the time to unban them correctly, others took shortcuts and put out some lousy rifles.

Lancaster had them for awhile, Global Trades was the original developer and importer that set up the production in Bulgaria.  TGI also brought them in within the last couple of years, they were selling them in 2002 but whether Global Trades built, Global Trades imported or TGI imported, who knows.

It all depends on what the distributor contracts with the importer as to configuration of the rifles ordered.  Some go cheap with welded on slant brakes that go flying down range.

Read up on some of the history of the first Global Trades rifles.
http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?t=68365
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:12:55 PM EDT
[#24]
I welded the hell out or it too. Then ground it down with the dremel. It looks like its one piece with the front sight. If it flies off the sight goes too. I drink a lot!
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:29:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I welded the hell out or it too. Then ground it down with the dremel. It looks like its one piece with the front sight. If it flies off the sight goes too. I drink a lot!

Please let us know what's the moa....you may be on to something there.

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 8:06:11 PM EDT
[#26]
It didn't change the pattern or the point of aim. I not only reamed the threads out of it I opened it up to around .40 cal. I made sure there was no possible contact and then some. Probably didn't need to as I stuck a 30 cal brass rod in the muzzle when I welded it. After reading about what the towel heads are doing with those rifles using some hand tools and camel shit, I figured I could handle my little job. Besides my long barreled AR and I can pick which eye to open for the squirrels. This is just a nice tool for dirty work.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top