Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/19/2008 3:52:21 PM EDT
what significance does this have....i am looking at an ak to buy and the seller told me that the bolts firing pin retaining pin is canted and runs through the ejector rail channel.

what would i need to do to fix this or do i have to buy a new bolt?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:34:58 PM EDT
[#1]
It sounds pretty strange.. Are you sure that he's not referring to the extractor rather than the ejector? In a normal AK-47 bolt, the firing pin retainer *does* run through the same hole that also holds the retainer for the extractor.. it's just a feature of the design. The pin that retains the firing pin also retains the pin that retains the extractor, if that makes any sense to you.

In any event, both the firing pin retainer and extractor retainer pins should be flush with or below the surface of the bolt - they should not cause any kind of interference.

Hope that helps,

-L
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:27:50 PM EDT
[#2]
ok im confused.....have yall ever heard of a canted firing pin retaining pin? forget the rest, and what effect would that have on function??
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:03:29 PM EDT
[#3]
The only thing I can think of that would be "canted" would be the gas block, or front site block.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:55:18 PM EDT
[#4]

The white line (paint worn out) in the extractor ejector channel is actually small bulge where the pin is running through on this Bulgarian bolt. This bulge is very small and is hardly visible in this pohoto.
On Romanian bolts, bulges are more pronounced.
They are caused by drilling very close to the sidewall.
This is OK. Yugo and Polish bolts also have these almost-break-through bulges.
East German bolts have superior machining and lack these.

This is what the seller meant when he said: "bolts firing pin retaining pin is canted and runs through the ejector rail channel."

As long as the pin itself does not stick out in the channel, the bolt is good to go.

ETA: correct terminology ... ejector channel, not extrator.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:50:44 AM EDT
[#5]
ok so if it does come out into the channel then would i need to get a new bolt, which leads to my next question, since its a romanian "G" kit will i have to get a nother bolt and carrier froma romy or just a romy bolt or can i get any kind of bolt??
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:50:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
ok so if it does come out into the channel then would i need to get a new bolt, which leads to my next question, since its a romanian "G" kit will i have to get a nother bolt and carrier froma romy or just a romy bolt or can i get any kind of bolt??

Replacing the bolt on an AK requires that the headspace be checked and, most likely, adjusted.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:02:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Romy bolt

Romy bolt

Romy bolt

Polish bolt

E German bolt

Yugo bolt

Filing or stoning the bulge (whatever-you-call-it) may expose the pin.

As long as the pin itself is flush or below the channel surface, the bolt is good.

Earlier I stated that Polish bolts have the bulge in the channel ... I was wrong ... cannot remember what every bolt looks like.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:36:56 AM EDT
[#8]
ok thanks yall for the information
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 4:38:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Richard257,

Thanks, that's really interesting info.. now that I examine a couple of my bolts, I do see the small bulge where the pinhole is almost broken through to the ejector (not extractor) channel.

Details, details..

-L
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:25:24 PM EDT
[#10]
ya i just checked my romy and it has the same thing, i guess t is common with the romys, so can i replace it with a better one like a polish or russian or will it not work?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:40:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Shoot it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:19:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Richard257,

Thanks, that's really interesting info.. now that I examine a couple of my bolts, I do see the small bulge where the pinhole is almost broken through to the ejector (not extractor) channel.

Details, details..

-L

You are absolutely correct, ejector channel.
Ah ...slip of the tounge, rather mind.

Quoted:
ya i just checked my romy and it has the same thing, i guess t is common with the romys, so can i replace it with a better one like a polish or russian or will it not work?

You will not find Polish or Russian bolts for sale.
E German stripped bolts are available and have better machining and finish than Bulgarian.

On E. German bolts the distance from the bolt face to the back of locking lugs is about
.015" greater than the distance on Yugo, Polish or Romanian bolts.
Of course they can be heaspaced by moving the barrel forward.
Also, cam surfaces have to be ground at proper compound angle and timed correctly with the cam surfaces of the bullet guide.

Below: cam surface that initiates rotation of the bolt (circled).

German bolts are new and do not have these surfaces.
If the cam of the bolt is not timed correctly, the bolt will not close, or if it closes (forcefully), it will sustain damage (severe gouging of the driving cam) similar to this:

and, the corresponding area of carrier will sustain similar gouging.

If you decide to replace Romy bolt with German bolt, have it done professionally.

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:48:06 AM EDT
[#13]
ok thats alittle harder then i though, well i guess im just going to get the kit with out the canted pin
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top