Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/16/2008 7:55:21 PM EDT
I'm a member at a private range and I'd say more than half of the members are fudds. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just mean they are the type to have a single bolt action R700 that they shoot 5 times while they labor over their scope settings. When I was new at the club I was very apprehensive about all my EBR shooting. I noticed that somehow the American made AR-15 didn't get looks, it seemed like everyone was ok with it. Then a few months ago I got a WASR and that made me even more nervous about shooting it there. When I pull that out I always get looks. Always.

Well now that I've been a member for a while now I've stopped sitting there while eyes stare at me. I brazenly walk up to the Fudds and I say, "I'm going to shoot my Romanian made AK pattern WASR-10. Would you like to try it out?" And most decline outright at first. Some just don't want to but I can tell that most want to but they don't want to feel like they are imposing on me. Eventually, after firing a mag or two myself I'll put some rounds in a mag and walk over and slap it in their hand and say something along the lines of, "Hey this mag isn't going to shoot itself."

Eventually I break them down and run them down the function of the rifle, hand them a mag and tell them to shoot it. And all of them walk away with a smile on their face. All of them walk away less afraid of the evil AK. All of them thank me. I've only had a few outright decline and they are the ones that say to me "Oh please I've got two of those back home."

Last sunday a man walked up to me wanting to show his 20 year old son the size of the AK round so I said, "Why not just let him shoot it?" so he did. Then an Asian couple showed up and I let both of them shoot it. This sunday I took two coworkers, one of which brought his middle-school aged son, which brings the grand total to 5 co-workers and 3 of their sons. I've let my brother and his wife shoot it, hell even my mother hed it and posed for a picture with it. Give me enough ammo and I'll spread the word to the entire damn state that AK's aren't evil, they are just shit loads of fun.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 7:59:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Bravo and good form!

Link Posted: 11/16/2008 8:10:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Ditto. I took my WASR to the range to break it in (first time shooting it) and let a couple of people (who, gladly, weren't fudds), try it out. They were pretty impressed with it and the tapco trigger.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 8:15:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Outstanding!
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 10:19:57 PM EDT
[#4]
that AK is gonna get you some ARSE, hehe
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 3:03:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I took my H.R. Girl out and her husband from work- they both shot it and loved it along with some of my Canadian work partners, they loved it as well.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 4:15:27 AM EDT
[#6]
So you are the reason the price is going up so quickly on the AK's Spread the word!
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 5:20:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
that AK is gonna get you some ARSE, hehe

Dude I wish! Sadly "Hey would you like to fire my AK?" isn't an effective pick-up line. Not that I've tried.

Quoted:
I took my H.R. Girl out and her husband from work- they both shot it and loved it along with some of my Canadian work partners, they loved it as well.

Must have been a real treat for the Canadians as the AK is completely banned up there. Though they do get the Tavor so they can't be too broken up about it.

Quoted:
So you are the reason the price is going up so quickly on the AK's Spread the word!

It's possible. I'm ragging on my brother to get one while he can and now that the election is over I had a coworker ask me what's the best/cheapest way to get an AK "before it's too late." So I pointed him to Henderson Defense because that's where I got mine and all the local places are out.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 4:32:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Showoff.

No, that's awesome and you are very nice. With ammo prices going up, I have become very selfish as of late!

AKs are definitely a lot of fun. A different kind of animal for sure.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 5:24:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Reminds me of a Simpsons episode where Bart asks to shoot Nelson's BB gun. Nelson (being the juvenile delinquent type) says "Sure! Never hurts to have an extra set of prints on a weapon!!"

Good work, Ambassador.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 6:06:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Where do you shoot?

Drop me a line next time.  I'll accompany you.  
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 6:14:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Thats effin cool, nice work!

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 6:44:23 PM EDT
[#12]
You sound like my kind of guy. I'm the same way. Anybody that walks over and asks what Im shooting gets a mag slapped in thier hand. Even if they already have whatever im shooting. Once at a machinegun shoot, Tony from Magpul shot a pmag through my lefty stag and let me keep the mag when I was done. It always pays to be freindly on the range. We are all in this together fudds and mall ninjas unite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im half fudd and half mall ninja.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 9:16:34 PM EDT
[#13]
It's actions like that, that will hopefully keep us in our guns. I love letting people "educate" themselves with lead and my Saiga's. Good work!

Oh and if you want to get some tail with the big gun don't ask the girls if they want to shoot your AK. What ya do is lean it up in the corner or the living room when you bring them home. Then when they say "Oh what is that?" You say "That's a chopper baaaaaby!!!"
Then they will want you to protect them from the big scary gun!
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:41:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Way to go!  Making in-roads in MD––Good job!  

Here in Texas, it doesn't have the same effect...  We are all issued an AK at birth!  ;)
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 4:34:39 PM EDT
[#15]
good deal
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 4:53:51 PM EDT
[#16]
This is the kind of stuff we need to be doing as EBR owners. I think it's awesome that you're letting Fudds try out our evil weapons. After people have become familiar with EBRs, there will be a reduced fear of such weapons. I went to a range a couple of weeks ago and 2 men were with their sons sighting in their muzzle loaders. One of the boys, probably 12, asks to see my AK, so my friend hands it to him (with safety flag inserted). The boy's father instantly yells, "Give that rifle back to him!"

They were just leaving, but if they had stayed, I don't think I would have shared any of my ammo because I'm so stingy. Next time I see some Fudds at the range, I'll definitely let them shoot a few rounds through an EBR of mine.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 8:25:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes, I always offer folks that are interested in my AR or AK the chance to shoot them.  Heck a few months ago some guy was shooting his full auto Uzi and he let me dump a magazine through it.  I thanked him profusely and left with a big smile!
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 8:31:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Keep up the good work!

Question: Aren't these fudd type people a little disappointed when you tell them about its 12 MOA accuracy?
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 9:08:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Keep up the good work!

Question: Aren't these fudd type people a little disappointed when you tell them about its 12 MOA accuracy?

I think they're enjoying themselves too much to realize it.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:16:52 AM EDT
[#20]
About year back at our local range/recreational area a Chinese couple (in their 50's) came up and was watching me shoot my Yugo underfolder.

The gentleman eventually walked up and started checking out the rifle.  
He did not know much English from what I could tell.
He did however know the words "Aye Kay Forty Seven"

Big smiles all around.  He gladly accepted my offer to shoot it and he popped off about 10 rounds and you would have thought he was just handed a million bucks.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:39:03 AM EDT
[#21]
That's awesome.

I was out at the range a week or so ago and a gent was there with a couple kids (i'm assuming his, they looked a lot alike).

Asked the guy if the kids had ever shot an AK, and he said no with a twinkle in his eye.  I told him there was no sense to avoid it if I was there with a bunch of ammo, so dad helped the kids get settled in.

I don't think they would have smiled any bigger if you'd just told them they could live at disney world for a year.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:11:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Reminds me of a Simpsons episode where Bart asks to shoot Nelson's BB gun. Nelson (being the juvenile delinquent type) says "Sure! Never hurts to have an extra set of prints on a weapon!!"

Good work, Ambassador.

I do one better, I generally bring a camera with me to the range so document my targets so I can track my progress (It's remarkable what a few months of steady shooting will do for your targets.) so I have tons of pictures of friends, coworkers, and strangers shooting my guns. Ironically very few pictures of me shooting my guns as I'm generally the one holding the camera.

Quoted:
Where do you shoot?

Drop me a line next time.  I'll accompany you.  

I shoot at a private club that's like 10 mins form my house and I go there just about every sunday anymore. If you're willing to drive the distance we'll go scare some Fudds. There's no rapid fire at the range though (1 second shot rule) I could meet you half way at Myrtle Grove sometime. I want to shoot that bullpup you made sometime.

Quoted:
You sound like my kind of guy. I'm the same way. Anybody that walks over and asks what Im shooting gets a mag slapped in thier hand. Even if they already have whatever im shooting. Once at a machinegun shoot, Tony from Magpul shot a pmag through my lefty stag and let me keep the mag when I was done. It always pays to be freindly on the range. We are all in this together fudds and mall ninjas unite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im half fudd and half mall ninja.

I'm becoming half fudd. I recently started taking up skeet shooting and it's so much more fun shooting at a moving target than paper. I'm shocked at how much fun it is actually. My shoulder is beginning to hate me for it though.

Quoted:
Way to go!  Making in-roads in MD––Good job!  

Here in Texas, it doesn't have the same effect...  We are all issued an AK at birth!  ;)

I heard in Texas that the second you cross the state border the State Police pull you over and search your car for a gun. If you don't have one they issue you one on the spot.

Quoted:
Keep up the good work!

I don't know what AK you're shooting  but mind does much much better than 12MOA. I'd venture to guess it's closer to 4-6 MOA range.

Quoted:
Yes, I always offer folks that are interested in my AR or AK the chance to shoot them.  Heck a few months ago some guy was shooting his full auto Uzi and he let me dump a magazine through it.  I thanked him profusely and left with a big smile!

It really does pay. My AR is a CavArms lower which is somewhat of a rarity so even the EBR guys want to play with it. I let a pair of fellow EBR guys shoot my CavArms build and they returned the favor by letting me shoot their AK-74 and Microtech Aug Clone which was awesome.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:06:00 AM EDT
[#23]
AK's are evil
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:56:10 AM EDT
[#24]
If you really want to see them smile get a Krink.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:45:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I want to shoot that bullpup you made sometime.

Too late, it's being rebuilt as a regular AKM.  

practicality just didn't exist with it, and i started getting nervous about a KB with the top cover explosion zone right against my face.  

I'd be happy to let you play with the M92 pistol though....or better yet the M92 underfolder once my F1 is approved.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:02:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Damn.. Send me a pm sometime. It's starting to get cold out though which is a burn but I'll still go shooting. I think perhaps the range will be mostly empty but I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:20:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Keep up the good work!

You've never seen MD Fudds shoot then.  I've seen guys shooting life size trophy buck silhouettes at 100 yds and be happy to get 2 our of 5 shots on the deer...not in the "kill zone", just ON the deer.

OP what club?  I've also found people to go absolutely apeshit when you pull a Garand out of the gun case as well.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top