Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/18/2008 10:40:29 AM EDT
Finally got a chance to hit the range with my new Afghan.  The wife and I headed out early this morning.  As you can see, I had HDI install a PWS Brake for me.  Shoots like a dream, 120 rounds downrange testing out different magazines to ensure functionality.  I shot some 5-shot groups to get her sighted in at 25 meters.  Today, that's as far as we shot just so I didn't have to change ranges.  The wife likes her as much as I do (don't mind the pic, she's just posing and doesn't have the rifle locked into position).

Anyhow, I'm very happy with the rifle thus far (read down for my one issue).  A few shared pics w/ Video!:

Had one small hiccup...from my weak searching, I think this is a type of Shepard's Hook spring that is used to keep the retaining pins from moving while the rifle is functioning.  Well, it popped and caused some issues, so I pulled it and kept on shooting (got to love AK's!).  I have no idea how this goes back into the assembly...I've made a random guess, but if anyone would like to take a picture inside their HDI assembly and give me a prefered placement of this thing...I'd be more than grateful!

Best,
Max
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 10:57:51 AM EDT
[#1]
number 48

http://www.krebscustom.com/PartsPages/KalashnikovParts.shtml
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Ordered...thank you.

I'd still like to know more about how this actually functions and/or retains the pins.  Is the concept to place strain on the pins perpendicular to the holes such that they will not begin working their way out?

Best,
Max
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 11:31:27 AM EDT
[#3]
the retaining wires are just a pain in the ass, the plates are much much easier to remove for cleaning and disassembly.  

i really dont know what they do to keep it from moving.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 12:49:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Is the concept to place strain on the pins perpendicular to the holes such that they will not begin working their way out?

Prezactly.

And they work really really badly.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 2:20:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is the concept to place strain on the pins perpendicular to the holes such that they will not begin working their way out?

Prezactly.

And they work really really badly.

iv had one on at least 4 ak's and iv never had a problem, what happend with yours what modles?
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 3:17:27 PM EDT
[#6]
What is the rag on your head for?  Afraid someone will id you?
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 4:45:18 PM EDT
[#7]
That looks more like a piece of hammer spring rather than a shepherds hook.

Does the hammer spring look intact?

BSW
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 5:30:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah it does look like a piece may have broke off of the hammer spring.Or a broken retaining spring.

Hammer spring
www.copesdistributing.net/product_info.php?products_id=346

Retaining spring
www.copesdistributing.net/product_info.php?products_id=1021
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 10:39:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What is the rag on your head for?  Afraid someone will id you?

He he, or report that Al Qaeda has been spotted training at the range.

If that is indeed you shephard hook, it`s seriously mangled.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 10:58:22 PM EDT
[#10]
The hammer must have really banged that thing up!

It probably looked like this originally:
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 8:51:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Wow...looks like it was mangled pretty badly then!  I placed the order with KCI, so I should be good to go.  The hammer spring is fine and operates great.  The only reason I called it a "shepard's hook" was because I found that on the BIG faq.  Anyhow, it'll get fixed asap.

The rag...let me think.  I use it for hunting, and I wanted to know what the cheakweld would be like with it on.  That's the only reason.  As for the wife...she thought it looked cool and wanted to pose with it

Thank you for all of the helpful comments.

Best,
Max
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top