Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/22/2008 4:44:54 PM EDT
I p/u'd my new wasr from my ffl, by way of classic arms last week finally had a chance to shoot it after cleaning and lubing it yeterday needless to say it basicaly failed to feed every other round the bolt would hold back but would go foward if I worked the bolt back then foward,a few times it failed to strip a round or close all the way,I tried different mags then gave up,so after recleaning it I tried again today the first 4 shots went off then it failed to feed again although it stripped a round off the mag it didn't chamber it  the next round then partialy chambered the bolt carrier dosen't appear to be binnding although unlike my aes-10 there are machine marks on the top of it,I then tried swapping out the bolt carrier and bolt from the aes-10 with the same results it failed to feed on the 2nd shot I then gave up and reswapped the parts and put it away,the aes-10 took a few mags to become relialbe but this thing scares me as a couple of times I was able to pull the trigger with the bolt only partialy closed being new to ak's is there a breaking in period till they become reliable or should they be reliable out of the box,I was shooting golden tiger and win white box in different mags with the same results. any advise app.-tt
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:57:16 PM EDT
[#1]
You probably should just send it back. It's probably nothing that couldn't be fixed by someone who knew AKs who could examine it closely, but if you're new to AKs you should probably just avoid that and make them send you a new one. Make sure that you let them know you want this one handpicked for functionality, parts fitment, and so on.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:59:10 PM EDT
[#2]
2 things:

1. Shouldn't swapped bolts between AKs without rechecking headspacing. Bolts are headspaced to each rifle, there may exist differences in front trunion dimension and barrel set depths (to name only a few) that could cuase a pretty big safety issue.

2. Call century and have them fix it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:53:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I would send back to CAI too.  The bolt not going forward is very common for WASRs.  After a 1k rounds mine worked just fine.

Curious, were you using HP/SP or FMJ  that could be your problem...
gl
rube
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:20:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
2 things:

1. Shouldn't swapped bolts between AKs without rechecking headspacing. Bolts are headspaced to each rifle, there may exist differences in front trunion dimension and barrel set depths (to name only a few) that could cuase a pretty big safety issue.

2. Call century and have them fix it.

That is a big +1.

It could've caused serious problems.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 2:00:59 AM EDT
[#5]
thanks for the replies,didn't think about the headspace issue,lucky it didn't go kaboom, rube79 I was using fmj, I guess I need to send it back ,should I call classic arms who I brought it from or cai,although I am going to be dropping my m1 carb off at my gunsmith today for repair so I might just have him eye ball it to see if its just a 10$ fix and save the grief,esp. if I have to pay shipping ,dosen't anyone at cai or classic check these things b4 thier shipped considering its a firearm i'm used to better quality control,it seems helf the threads here concern guns that arrive with issues out of the box-tt
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top