Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2008 9:02:57 PM EDT
I am looking to possibly pick up this AK-74. The owner has had it for several years and isn't very "up-to-speed" on them. He is calling it an SAR-2 but I have found some comparison photos on the net and it it looks more like a Romak 992, w/ the muzzle device and all. The owner has stated that it had a fixed stock on it and he has had it replaced w/ a Romy sidefolder. Did the SAR-2 come w/ this type of muzzle brake or is this a Romak 992 or could this be a SAR-2 w/ an aftermarket muzzle break?  I am trying to get some more pics from him and I will post them here when I recieve them. Should it be marked somewhere on the receiver as "SAR-2" or "Romak 992" and if so where so I can have him look and verify what he has before I do anything. Also, is one better than the other. Thanks.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:37:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I am not sure, but it looks pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:44:29 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I am not sure, but it looks pretty sweet.

Yeah, it looks like it is in excellent shape. The owner claims it has only had 100rds through it and it was flawless. He also said that the front sight is not canted and it has an optics rail. It looks like a high quality build more than an SAR-2. The finish looks excellent.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:25:03 PM EDT
[#3]
SARs didnt have threaded muzzles, so the brake is after market. i dont see anything that makes me think its not a SAR2, but i dont know that much about Romak 992s. if its a SAR-2 it will say so on the other side of the rifle.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:27:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
SARs didnt have threaded muzzles, so the brake is after market. i dont see anything that makes me think its not a SAR2, but i dont know that much about Romak 992s. if its a SAR-2 it will say so on the other side of the rifle.

Thanks. I have requested more pics so, hopefully, I get them by tomorrow and I can verify.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:35:33 PM EDT
[#5]
doesnt look like a romak 992. www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/model.htm#992

did you look through the romanian section?
ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=4&f=79

ETA

if you dont mind me asking, how much are you paying for it?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:51:00 PM EDT
[#6]
It almost looks like it has one of the setscrew mounted thread adapters on the muzzle to mount that comp on. www.copesdistributing.net/product_info.php?cPath=32_34&products_id=525

If it does, those are crap and will eventually shoot loose.

Sweet looking gun otherwise.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:46:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:37:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info guys. I am still waiting on pics of the left side of the receiver to  and the serial # to verify what it is.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:45:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:24:48 PM EDT
[#10]
To me, the muzzle brake looks like a "hi-capacity" 992, but the FSB is definitely of the SAR/CUR variation.  Hell, I don't know.  I think you should buy it, whatever it is.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:15:42 AM EDT
[#11]
not for 850 he shouldnt.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:55:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks like my SAR2 minus the folding stock, front handguard and flash suppressor.

You can read some of the writing if you zoom in.

Made by Cm Romarm SA/CUGR
Made in Romania
Imported by..... can't read.

You would have to see the other side to see if it's an SAR2 or not but if nothing else he's got a pricey bakelite 7.62 on it.  

850 is crazy.  I bought my SAR2 vanilla for 399 bucks from a gun show of all places.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 9:26:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:10:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I was looking to trade for an AK-74. My trade value on my weapon is $850. So, that is what I would effectivley be paying for it. However, since this post, if I do the trade the gentlemen will have to kick in some cash on top of it. Thanks.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top