Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/3/2008 10:09:20 AM EDT
I know this question has been asked 1000 times but here goes.
I built an AK several years on a receiver i bought from an FFL...added the legal parts, etc... however i never shoot it anymore. Can i sell it to a private individual?  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:28:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:28:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you, sir. :)
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:38:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Check your hometown forum / local laws, but in VA you can sell a firearm without going through a dealer.  

if your question is in general "can I sell a rifle I built" the answer is

A) that you didn't build the receiver so technically, you didn't build the rifle.  the receiver is the rifle. period.
B) even if you built the receiver from scratch, as long as you didn't "intend" to sell it, you are not acting like a manufacturer without a license.  If it is a bent flat you may have to put a serial # / city, state that it was built on the receiver.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:05:14 AM EDT
[#4]
It came through an FFL? Yes, then its treated as any other gunstore-bought AK in your state (however such guns are sold in your state).
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:28:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, its a Hesse manufactured receiver. Background check, tax, etc all applied.
I live in Tennessee so private sales are permited.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:36:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Just keep in mind you can sell it but you are assuming LIALIBILITY should something go wrong and a law suit occur.  The manufacturer of the receiver can show it went out unassembled.

Yes you can but you can probably get just as much for the stripped receiver, parts kit and compliance parts maybe more and no lialibility problems.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top