Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/2/2007 9:07:30 AM EDT
I already own a couple ar 15's and was looking at buying my first ak 47.  I've pretty much made up my mind that I'll get a Vector but was wondering what kind of accuracy I could expect between a stamped and a milled receiver.  

Thanks,
James
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:19:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I have owned both, a PolyTech Legend (forged) and a Maddi (stamped).
The PolyTech was a true 6" @ 100 yard gun. My son bagged a deer at 115 yards with the Maddi.

YMMV,
Bill
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:24:19 AM EDT
[#2]
great choice going with Vector, you will not be disappointed.  My vote would be to go with a stamped model for 2 main reasons, its lighter, and doesnt retain heat as much...there is just to many elements to consider with accuracy

can you shoot?, whats weather like? how is your breathing? so on and so on...Vectors either milled or stamped are quality pieces of gear.....so the main thing to focus on is the guy behind the trigger...both are very accurate, most will have you believe that an AK isnt...they are wrong.

out to 300yrds or so you shouldnt have any issues.  Will you be taking 5 shot dime size groups like an AR at further distances?  nope  but the AK will get the job done nicely

here are a couple targets from my Vector(stamped 50yrds, 6 shot groups)  hope it helps

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:39:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I will catch hell for this but if anyone wants to argue is fine by me.

Basically it's like this- if the rifle is headspaced correctly and the barrel is good- then there is no reason an AK in 5.56 will not shoot the same as an AR15 if using the same ammo. Once the bolt is locked and the round is fired- there is no damn difference in accuracy. If there is then it is only because one is DI versus the other being a piston. However sights are the actual culprit in the age old AR vs. AK accuracy debate- but if this is an issue just throw a set of Kreb's peep sights on your AK. Then there is the classic IMA IDIOT FUDD argument that 7.62x39 can't hit the broad side of barn, try bench shooting the rifle, maybe use an optic or a peep, and of course use quality brass cased ammo to see what happens. Milled guns are stated to be more accurate but again, as long as the bolt is locked then it makes not difference because the trunnion is milled where the bolt locks up.

Things that will increase accuracy for any AK owner; peep sights, quality ammo, optics, bench shooting, and practice.

RR
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:12:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Assuming the same platform, a milled AK will be a tad more accurate than a stamped one due to the increased torsional ridgidity of the milled receiver. However, the accuracy improvement is very minimal. Maybe 1/8" - 1/4" at best. If the platforms are different, you really cannot guage the difference due to other factors that affect accuracy.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:32:36 PM EDT
[#5]
My milled Arsenal SAM-7R is about 8 MOA with Golden Tiger ammo. So much for increased accuracy in milled AK's. In fairness I should try it with other ammo, but I always hear rave reviews on the Golden Tiger.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:57:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
My milled Arsenal SAM-7R is about 8 MOA with Golden Tiger ammo. So much for increased accuracy in milled AK's. In fairness I should try it with other ammo, but I always hear rave reviews on the Golden Tiger.

Try Remington Ammo, a Harris Bi-Pod, and a Kreb's Peep sight- report back, I bet your groups are 1.5-2MOA.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:48:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate it.  It looks like I'll be going with a stamped Vector.

Thanks again,
James
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top