Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2007 6:19:55 PM EDT
Took my AK out today. Just got it 3 days ago from JG sales. Its having FTF and FTE problems. Did a bit of searching and found a topic that said it might be insufficient gas to cycle the bolt.

My question is.

Are you supposed to be able to put a pipe cleaner through the gas port ?...( little hole in gas block ) .....because on mine I cant.

I put my finder over the barrel breach hole and just blew into the muzzle with my mouth and I can barely get any air to come through the gas port hole.

Can this be my problem with the FTF's and FTE's?
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:35:00 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

If FTF = fail to fire then I don't see how the gas port hole size would cause it.  Failure to eject could be caused by a blocked gas port.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:48:46 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If FTF = fail to fire then I don't see how the gas port hole size would cause it.  Failure to eject could be caused by a blocked gas port.

sorry.....i meant that as failure to feed. Something definately is clogging up the port because sometimes i can blow through it fine. and sometimes it gets blocked. maybe there is a little bit of material in there or something.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#3]
AK-47 gas port is fairly large. You may or may not get a pipe cleaner through it, but if you do a "mouth test" you should not expirience much of resistance.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:07:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
AK-47 gas port is fairly large. You may or may not get a pipe cleaner through it, but if you do a "mouth test" you should not expirience much of resistance.

Yep. Im doing the mouth test. I am getting alot of resistance. I cant figure out what to clean it with. The hole itself is clean. Im afraid that there is gunk inside the block itself.

I put some automotive degreaser in the gas block to see if that will help break that stuff up. Not sure if that will work. But when I put the degreaser in it started coming out from around the edge where the gas block meets the barell. is the gas block supposed to be air tight?
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:21:58 PM EDT
[#5]
The gas block is press-fit. I had never seen any oil / degreaser flow from it, but I guess it is possible if the barrel has some scores over it or somthing like that.
If your gun is an AK / AKM pattern with angled gas port and you have original cleaning kit for it (metal tube with bunch of tools that goes in the butt-stock), the punch that is included with it should easily fit all the way through the gas port.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:34:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The gas block is press-fit. I had never seen any oil / degreaser flow from it, but I guess it is possible if the barrel has some scores over it or somthing like that.
If your gun is an AK / AKM pattern with angled gas port and you have original cleaning kit for it (metal tube with bunch of tools that goes in the butt-stock), the punch that is included with it should easily fit all the way through the gas port.

Mine is a Century Yugo. It has the angled port. I tried to probe at it with a dentist pick to see if the hole was clear but I cant even get the pick to go through. Maybe the hole isnt lined up correctly with the block.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:51:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Normally, the port hole on the AK with angled block is drilled after the block is pressed and pinned. Unless the barrel was replaced, it all should line-up. How is your bore? Yugos have non crome-lined bores, and due to use of corrosive ammo, some of them are rusted up. The port on such barrels could also be neglected. Put some penetrating oil in it, and try to scrape it with a wire hanger (the one that you normally get with dry cleaning). The hanger wire should pass through the port.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:49:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Normally, the port hole on the AK with angled block is drilled after the block is pressed and pinned. Unless the barrel was replaced, it all should line-up. How is your bore? Yugos have non crome-lined bores, and due to use of corrosive ammo, some of them are rusted up. The port on such barrels could also be neglected. Put some penetrating oil in it, and try to scrape it with a wire hanger (the one that you normally get with dry cleaning). The hanger wire should pass through the port.

OK figured out what i was doing wrong. The Yugo comes with the grenade sights. When you flip that up it blocks the gas port. I had it flipped up when trying to clean it. I put it back down and was able to get some strands of wire through the hole and clean it. Some stuff came out but not much.

I think Im gonna go ahead and send it back to century and have themlook at it. Out of a 30 round mag.....when I shot it i got 5 FTE's.....thats not good.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:07:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Shoot few more mags before shipping it back to Century. It could clear up.
The part with grenade sights was kind of ....
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:23:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Shoot few more mags before shipping it back to Century. It could clear up.
The part with grenade sights was kind of ....

will do. ill try to make it to the range sometime this week. if i still get the FTE's I will send it back for sure. One thing I did notice is where the bolt rides. right where it takes the corner it is kinda sharp there. The bolt kinda gets hung there before it moves back.

Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:41:28 AM EDT
[#11]
You have posted earlier how you fixed your canted gas block in this thread:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=51&t=101557

Quoted:
Thanks for the info. I was able to use my 4LB dead blow rubber mallet and whack the gas block straight. She looks real good now. Will post pics of it later during the weekend.

And in this thread you edited your other fixes:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=89&t=101410

Quoted:

I think Im gonna go ahead and send it back to century and have themlook at it. Out of a 30 round mag.....when I shot it i got 5 FTE's.....thats not good.

Do you expect the manufacturer to warranty the rifle after your "fix"?
If you modify the rifle, you void the warranty.
Gas block and sight base are pinned. When you whack these parts straight, you bend the pins. Bent pins cannot be pressed out, they must be drilled out.

You should have sent the rifle to Century before your "fixes", not after.

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:03:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You have posted earlier how you fixed your canted gas block in this thread:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=51&t=101557

Quoted:
Thanks for the info. I was able to use my 4LB dead blow rubber mallet and whack the gas block straight. She looks real good now. Will post pics of it later during the weekend.

And in this thread you edited your other fixes:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=89&t=101410

Quoted:

Do you expect the manufacturer to warranty the rifle after your "fix"?
If you modify the rifle, you void the warranty.
Gas block and sight base are pinned. When you whack these parts straight, you bend the pins. Bent pins cannot be pressed out, they must be drilled out.

You should have sent the rifle to Century before your "fixes", not after.

The gas block at this point isnt the issue. I was able to get a pipe cleaner through it and clean the port out. It wasn't blocked after all. It was because I had the grenade launcher sights up when trying to clean it. Thus blocking the port.

The FTE's must be something else then. I am going to send it back and have it repaired. My " fix " is not visible.....it doesnt seem like I bent the pins. If I did and they catch me on that.....then lesson learned.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top