Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2007 3:27:01 PM EDT
Ok guys help me out, i dont know which one i want to go with, im looking for a good sporting/hunting/home defense(sorta) rifle.  For home defense i already have a shotgun, but having a rifle as a back up is always nice.  Which should i go with?  I can't figure out which i want, pros vs cons?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:08:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, one con with the FAL is the price of ammo.  7.62x51 surplus is scarce at the moment, and when it is available it is quite expensive.  7.62x39 ammo is available and much cheaper.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:15:34 PM EDT
[#2]
You can't really compare a 7.62x39 AK to a .308 FAL. That's like comparing a V6 to a V8.

AK-47 pros.....somewhat inexpensive, rugged/reliable, good intermediate barrier penetration, cheap & plentiful high capacity mags, light weight, reasonably priced ammo, etc.

AK-47 cons....so-so accuracy, limited 300m accuracy/effective range, etc.

FAL pros.......farily good accuracy, good 500-600m accuracy/effective range, great intermediate barrier penetration, cheap & plentiful mags, etc.

Fal cons......overkill power for many applications (especially urban), moderately heavy, moderately expensive, expensive ammo, requires more frequent cleaning/maintenance, etc.

I'm gonna leave it up to you to decide which is better for your specific needs, though there is no one rifle that best suited to all applications.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:15:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Ok guys help me out, i dont know which one i want to go with, im looking for a good sporting/hunting/home defense(sorta) rifle.  For home defense i already have a shotgun, but having a rifle as a back up is always nice.  Which should i go with?  I can't figure out which i want, pros vs cons?

For most of those reasons I would not suggest using either of them.  Hunting with either is questionable.  An AK in 7.62x39 would do okay for some deer and the .308 of course is good for a lot of game.  However, I believe that unless you're in a survivalist mode they are overkill my friend, overkill.  I recently bought a sporter AK, known as a SAIGA.  It is Russian and I am going to convert it of course.  For home defense, neither are good.  Using either the 7.62x39 or .308 for home defense is very questionable.  Unless you live in the country and/or need to keep the zombies at bay, just use the shotgun.  For sporting, both would be a BLAST.  I'd suggest the AK for now.  If you can afford a FAL, then go for that, but I think you'll end up getting both in the long run.  I know I plan too, so it is really up to you.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:20:09 PM EDT
[#4]
This is ARFCOM!!!  Get both!!!  
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:22:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everybody, feel free to keep talking but I think im going AK47, and in case those zombies to come up from the ground, i think the AK will work just fine HAHA, i was thinking Deer Hunting too, i hunt in the Lake of the Ozarks and its fairly close range in the woods, nothing past 300m.  Not to mention AK is going to be much cheaper, thanks everybody!!
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:55:51 PM EDT
[#6]
from someone who has owned plenty of both....stick with the AK.....the rifle is lighter, ammo is way cheaper....and if the shit hits the fan are you really going to be taking shots out to 500yrds? no.......most engagements will be 100 yrds max, and the AK accuracy is fine out to 300-400yrds max....follow up shots are fast and easy, reliability is ...well hell come on its an AK, not to say that FALs arent as reliable....but heavy and ammo is way to expensive
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:18:05 PM EDT
[#7]
If only would go with the AK, given the chance pick up both.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:32:34 PM EDT
[#8]
if you don't already have an AK....get that first.

and as far as white tail hunting in MO with 7.62X39......it's all i used to hunt with for many years. i've taken many a deer with an old MAK-90 i had. i NEVER had a deer run more than 30 yards or so......and then only one. most dropped within a few feet.

i hunt a little farther north than you, but still pretty hilly where i hunt. so most shots are within 100 yards anyway.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:48:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:10:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Thanks everybody, feel free to keep talking but I think im going AK47, and in case those zombies to come up from the ground, i think the AK will work just fine HAHA

They just might....ZOMBIE LINK
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:21:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Wait, I'm confused.

You don't have ANY AKs?

Someone help that poor man.

Ok, since it's your first, you'll probably get an AKM (stamped reciever) and not an AK47 (milled reciever.)

It's just that an AKM is going to be less expensive, so you can buy more ammo and go out an PRACTICE with it.
(Actually, have someone who knows teach you, then practice what they teach.)

I don't feel like practicing alot with the 308 at $.50 a shot.

It is the practice that makes the weapon effective.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:08:38 AM EDT
[#12]
stamped recievers definately going to be lighter...and doesnt hold heat as bad as milled recievers....go stamped
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:16:57 PM EDT
[#13]
First off if I didn't already own one, I would definately get at least one AK - right now, a 74-clone chambered in 5.45x39 makes a lot of sense as you can buy Bulgarian or Polish "wasp" ammo for $118/1080count can ( SOG )

A 7.62x39 makes sense too as the ammo, although more expensive than above right now, is commercially loaded by Remington and Winchester and if ever we can't get Wolf or if Wolf and other Rusky bullet packers increase their ammo prices too much then Winny and Remmy are there.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top