Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/21/2007 6:46:15 PM EDT
I'm an old benchrest shooter and hunter who has just of late taken an interest in assault rifles.  Always been a kitchen table gunsmith, and never afraid to tear down an old pawn-shop beater rifle, and starte tweaking to find every bit of accuracy availiable.  You know, glass bedding, freefloating, trigger jobs, re-crowning, just simple stuff like that.

I heard it said that the AK platform is genrealy speaking a 3"moa rifle.  Not surprising considering the short barrel.  I've also read a comment about keeping the gas tube fitted a bit loose, so as to not create a stress/pressure point on the barrel, which when it heats up would through off the harmonics and point of impact.

so my question is about the ultimak's method of securing it to the weapon. I've never had my hands on one, but do they attach in such a way that they might affect accuracy? (Such as it is)

PCM
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 9:42:28 PM EDT
[#1]
No. UltiMAK did lots of testing wrt accuracy and there wasn't any side-effect.

the two points of contact are as small as possible and as close together as possible.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 9:46:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd actually heard that they improve accuracy a tad.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 6:42:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Cool.  Well what about the other/cheaper stuff, Leapers UTG or UTI or whatever it is.  

PCM
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 7:20:25 AM EDT
[#4]
To properly mount the ultimak to your rifle you leave a space at each end of the tube.
The gap will avoid contact points causing accuracy problems.  The only other contact is
with the barrel.  Two mounting clamps hold tube on.  I own two with aimpoints mounted & they work great.  I didn't notice any shifts in mechanical zero of my irons after mounting the ultimak.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top