Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/1/2006 12:23:36 PM EDT
I need you guys opinions on the KVANT PK-23 and the PK-01V. Do you like either of them? Any advantages, disadvatages? Are they any better than my Kobra?

I tried the Discussion forum but there was no response, I figured I might have better luck here ...
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:33:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Of the ones you mentioned the Kobra is definitely my first choice 'cause it uses std AA batteries, has no parallax or eye relief plus multiple reticles & brightness levels. HTH...
Tomac
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:08:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:07:29 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have yet to try a PK-23 so I do not really know if the dot pulse is a fast cycle that just makes it more visible, or a lousy fluorescent bulb stutter.

I'm happy with mine. I feel the pulse effect makes the dot easier/faster  to pick up, but on the other hand it's maybe not the choice for high precision shooting. But neither is the average AK, etc...

I don't like the Kobra as it's not weather proof. The diode is open to the elements, it won't work in rain or snow. I wonder why some people claim it's supposed to be a serious "combat optic" with such a problem. Wouldn't trust one here in Finland, nor in Russia for that matter. OK in Nevada or such place I suppose.
Could easily ruin a range day and is known to have f**ked up a practical shooting competition for some unlucky guys whose Kobras were disabled by rain.

Everybody who have tried the PK-01V seem to like it, I haven't found an excuse to get one yet.
The latest model uses AAA batteries so would seem like an interesting option.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:58:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys. If anyone else have an opinion on this matter I'd be glad to hear from you ...
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:39:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a PK-01 on my SAR-2 and like it a lot.  The dot is a lot smaller and sharper than on most red dot optics.  A nice feature for shooting at 100 yards plus.  I am in the market for another.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:14:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Of the ones you mentioned the Kobra is definitely my first choice 'cause it uses std AA batteries, has no parallax or eye relief plus multiple reticles & brightness levels. HTH...
Tomac

Tomac, how does the Kobra do in very low light conditions? I am somewhat wary of what seems to be the color of the glass it has, do you think that makes any difference? (Or do the pictures exaggerate the color effect?)

Z
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:40:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Tomac, how does the Kobra do in very low light conditions? I am somewhat wary of what seems to be the color of the glass it has, do you think that makes any difference? (Or do the pictures exaggerate the color effect?)
Z

If I understand your question correctly then I haven't had any trouble w/it regardless of ambient light level (or lack thereof... ) I had a friend check it from the front for visible light during very dark conditions and you can see a faint dot if you're (very) close enough but as my friend said "by the time I'm close enough to see it I'm already dead". Yes, the lens isn't 100% transparent due to the coating but that doesn't seem to interfere when shooting w/both eyes open.
Tomac
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:20:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a PK-01V which I really liked up until the point that it DIED on me.  I'll probably chuck it and use the mount for a 30mm red dot from a major American maker, maybe Millet or Burris.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:51:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I recently bought a PK-23 for an AR and like it a lot.  The pulsating light does make it easier to see depsite the fact it is very small.  Very well built with a nice sharp 1.5 moa dot.

I bought mine from psop.ru and it was shipped promptly.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:26:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I just bought a PK-AS over the bore setting, I'm very impressed by it. You do not get cheek rest but you do get chin rest. Somewhere I read that the russians prefer this...
The red dot is very bring in the highest setting, and when turned off you can still clearly see the black dot, i believe its 2MOA big! I bought 20 batteries on ebay for $4 shipped, heh..
I bought it from posp.ru for $195 shipped and it took 10 days for the optic to get here, very pleased with their service!
I will take this red dot to the range on friday, I have high expectations from it! I think it will meet them.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top