User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2005 2:14:50 PM EDT
I'm looking at these two optics.....

EKP-8-02
PK AS V

How high do they sit above the receiver?  Are they inline w/ the bore?  Are they off to the left of bore?  Can you get a good cheek weld?  

I'm a righty with a left eye dominance.  I shoot w/ the stock on my right shoulder.

One of them is going on an Arsenal SLR 105 A1 R........when it gets here.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:29:58 PM EDT
[#1]
If you shoot righty, but are left eye dominant, you need a PK-AS for sure.  The "V" model sits waaayy high above the topcover (higher than a Kobra, if you can believe that!), so you can forget about a cheek weld.

But the regular PK-AS is offset to the left, and sits much lower.  The best way to use this sight is with the left eye, actually.  You get an awesome cheek weld, and the tube will natuarally line up with your left eye.  You may have to tilt your head a little bit more than normal, but I found it easy to adapt.

I currently have a PK-AS sitting on my SLR-105 A1R, and it's the cat's ass for sure.

One unconventional consideration of the PK series is that it actually has eye relief (3" I believe).  So if your '105 is still wearing that goofy NATO length buttstock it came with, it may feel a little uncomfortable.  Some actually like to use it with the longer stock, while others (me included) like the shorter Warsaw pact length.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:53:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:24:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm using the PK AS on my Krebs AK-103 and overall it's a nice optic.  BUT, as already mentioned, forget about any cheek weld at all if you shoot with your right eye.  And for me at least, I can't get my face jammed into the stock far enough to use my left eye.  Nice optic, nice gun but the ergonomics suck.

I have used the Ultimak with an Eotech, which was fantastic - a good repeatable cheek weld and excellent target aquisition.  The downside of that set up is that the irons don't cowitness, so if you're pullung the gun out of a cabinet and need to get into action quickly, you need to turn the Eotech on first.  I finally abandoned that arrangement after finding that the Ultimak gets too hot for comfort after just a single mag  - I found this out during a tactical rifle match - who wants to worry about where your fingers end up on the forward stock if you're concentrating on making the shot?

So I'm back to the PK AS and am now in search of a suitable cheek pad to put on the stock.  One of the Blackhawk models looks like it will be about the best bet...
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:44:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks everyone.

My other carbine is a M4 w/ crane stock and an EOTECH.  I like the BAC concept and leave both eyes open for up close social distances and longer distances.

RS39....Which Kobra do you have?

A-Sibley....I just found a comparison photo of the pkas s, and pkas v on Tantals web page.......the v model sits way too high.  Also showed an operator w/ a chin weld w/ the Kobra 2nd generation model.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:12:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:21:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks like I'll be getting a PK AS.  
Between Tantal and Freedom Optics, which is better?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:39:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top