Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2005 5:46:54 AM EDT
I've been browsing kalinkaoptics, they seem to have a good selection and prices, but I noticed for the POSP style scopes there are two types of range finders.

one is for only up to 400 m (they call it the AK guessing that's 7.62x39) and the 1000m (for sks or SVD, what sks could go a 1000m?).

So was wondering with the flatter trajectory of the 5.45 round if the 400m AK would work well, or the 1000m.

thanks.

-mark
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:53:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:54:38 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks, but I'm not sure exactly about everything you said.

I have seen 2 types of chevron arrangement.  

One has one chevron at the top of a verticle bar

The other has chevrons stacked on top of each other, guessing you mean the first one mentioned.

thanks.

-mark
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:51:30 PM EDT
[#3]
You can use either system for 5.5 or 5.4 with a little thought, it won't be as simple as using the cartridge they were designed for, since there won't be a direct correlation between bullet drop and range. Simply study the charts to figure out how much drop there will be for the cartridge you use at various ranges, convert that to minutes of angle. Then at a distance of 100 yards, figure out how many inches from the 100 yard centered chevron each successive chevron takes you up the target. You can then determine where your chevrons place you for minute of angle by converting the inches to MOA, and not be too far off. You can also use the turrets on the scope for fine adjustment. You will want to keep a notebook on all of this, and once you have calculated holds for various ranges, actually test them to see if they work, adjust as necessary, hope this made some sense, it is hard to explain, but those are actually quite good scopes for the money IMHO. I would choose the scope depending on your proposed use of the rifle. if you want to try some longer ranges, go with the reticle designed for 7.62 x 54R. The scope designed for the 7.62 x 39 is more compact and can easily do everything you need it to within frag range for XM 193.  The graduations on the target knobs are not as fine as on higher end scopes.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:13:31 PM EDT
[#4]
well, took it out Saturday, and loved it, trying to swap out the stock though for the longer full-length stock with the member on here I bought it from.  We tried with no luck, but will give it another try later this week with some tools.

Once I got her zeroed at 100yards, I was getting 2" groups with silver bear, so I'm really impressed, and I even went home and tightened it, as I felt there wasn't enough tension on the clamp when you closed it.   also, what can happen if there is too much tension on the clamp?

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:32:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top