Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/12/2004 8:34:51 PM EDT
PO 3.5x21P on Arsenal M-5S at the Target Range

Since I use my Arsenal M5 more than the SEAK, I decided to try out my new PO 3.5x21P on it. Although the range finding reticle would be off, I figured it would not be by that much. Plus I use this rifle a lot more.

There is a screw adjustment (not sure what it adjusts) on the bottom of the scope. Its  thimble like cover sticks out enough that it scrapes inward on the AK top cover when installed. On the SEAK with the raised tabs on the top cover it is very bad. On the M5, which has a smooth top cover, it scratches and sits on top. It is still bad, but not as bad. I wonder if this effects the scope adjustment because it is pressure pushing directly upward on the scope.

There is another screw adjustment about half an inch away, but it is flush with the body of the scope. It has a little glued on cover. I know, because it came off during firing today. I found it on the bench while I was reloading.

Today’s ammo was Winchester Q3131A LotTC42, shot in groups of 10.

I started at 50 yards and found the hits about 4” low and 8” to the left. As I adjusted the rounds in I ran into a problem. Rounds were going everywhere. Hmmm. I dismounted the scope, removed the bottom thimble cover and reinstalled. Now the scope was no longer resting on the AK top cover. No difference. Hmmm.  I finally decided it was close enough to try 100 yards and see what it does. Maybe I could figure it out at a longer range.  I never touched the scope adjustment settings again.

At 100 yards I got some bizarre groups with two centers of impact, one of them off to the right of the bullseye. There were also a few with bullets hitting all over. I was wondering if something was wrong with the scope. I finally took off the scope, reinstalled the thimble cover and tried again. It still had the bizarre large groups, but they were a couple of inches or so higher. Hmmm.

Next I took off my plastic shooting glasses and shot a decent group, best so far of the day. Bingo!  The PO 3.5x21P and my well worn (and cheap) shooting glasses do not mix well.

So now to 200 yards. I was using the 100m reticle all along and continued using it here because the next line was for 400 meters. I shot two large groups, one 11 ½” and one 9 ½”.  Kinda bad.

Next I went to 300 yards with a variety of targets. One target, with the 100m reticle centered was a 13 ½” low group. So I centered the 400m reticle and found one shot high on the target. Bad, very bad. They all went over. Don’t use the 400m reticle at 300 yards with .223 ammo.

Next with the 100m reticle centered on a silhouette target head and the 400m reticle on the bottom of the target line, I got a 15” group with the 8 hits I found. Bad guy lived. Well, maybe one headshot.

So I put the 100m reticle on the neck an got a 13 ½” group out of the 7 holes found. Three of the shots were in the 9 zone, so kill shots. Hmmm, 3 out of 10.

Next I tried another type of silhouette target at 300 yards. I got a 20” group of 7 shots, but only one was a kill shot, with the 100m reticle on the shoulders.

Shot again, this time with the 100m reticle high on the chest. Got 7 hits, 3 of them kill shots, with the group 13”.

I went back to 50 yards now and got a just under 3” group. I took off the scope, shot with the iron sights and got a similar group that went 3 ½”. Not bad considering how bad those irons are. I reinstalled the scope and got another 3” group. The point of impact did not change much, too close to call whether it’s me or the mount.

Compared to my AGOG I get about ¼ more view area with the PO 3.5x21P. That’s good. I get decent groups at 50 yards, big but okay for an AK at 100 yards, but too big for comfort at 200 and 300 yards. So I guess this will be a close range only setup for me. I just have to remember not to wear cheap glasses while using this scope. They don’t mix.

I once did some accuracy tests with my prior M-5S, but can’t find all the info right now. I was getting better groups at 50 and 100 yards, but I was also using a 6x24 scope. I need to do that again with this rifle. Only then will I know if it is the scope or the rifle that does not perform at longer ranges.

If anybody has PO 3.5x21P experiences, similar or different, I’d love to hear about them.

Pictures:

My previous M-5S at 50 yards:

My previous M-5S at 100 yards:

M-5S with PO 3.5x21P, 100 yards, while wearing shooting glasses:

M-5S with PO 3.5x21P, 100 yards, without glasses:

M-5S with PO 3.5x21P, 100 yards, without glasses:

M-5S with PO 3.5x21P, 200 yards:

M-5S with PO 3.5x21P, 300 yards, aiming at head:

M-5S with PO 3.5x21P, 300 yards, aiming at neck:

M-5S with PO 3.5x21P, 300 yards, aiming at top of chest:

M-5S with PO 3.5x21P, 50 yards at end of day:

M-5S with PO 3.5x21P, 50 yards after scope taken off and reinstalled, at end of day:

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:24:11 AM EDT
[#1]

Here is the PO 3.5x21P reticle. The top line with the 1 is the 100m line. The main line is 400m. The dot below it (near the top of the triangle) is 500m. The line below is 600. The dot below withe the 7 is 700m.  

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:51:06 AM EDT
[#2]

This is approximately how it looks on target at 300 yards:

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:37:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:13:00 PM EDT
[#4]

I swiped the reticle pics from one of the scope sites. I don't think I can snapshot a scope well so haven't even tried.

I plan to do some more at the range with this scope, probably on my VEPR .223 next, because it is more solid at the bench.

I was okay at 200 yards, but any bad guy at 300 yards is pretty safe if I was using that setup. I was sitting at the bench, taking my time, and still could only get three kill shots out of ten. 30% is really really bad
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top