Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2003 5:31:03 PM EDT
I am new to AKs and riflescopes. I thought I'd run this by you guys to see if I am thinking OK.

I'd like to put a Red Dot on my SAR-1. It would likely be used 85% of the time. I'd ALSO like to occasionally use a conventional scope.  I would like to use it deer hunting (if that is legal). I would prefer a 40mm 3x9 scope for that.

My question is...

I buy a Kobra for the Red Dot.... and then buy a side mount and put a scope on it...  If the scope is zeroed in and then the Red Dot is used for a couple of months, would I just be able to clamp the scope back on and go deer hunting without the need to re-zero?

I would love to be able to switch from irons to Red Dot to 3x9 scope without zeroing everytime.  Is that ridiculous or would it likely work?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
Logistar
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 7:00:01 PM EDT
[#1]
My Kobra moves it's center about 1" at 100yds when I remount it. Not really a problem when you can just fire a few shots, move the knob a click and be done.

If you have a scope already that you wish to use on the AK, hold it over the gun so the adj knobs are over the front half of the side rail. That is about as far fwd as you will be able to mount a conventional scope with a side rail adapting mount. Is the eye relief acceptable?
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 12:32:00 PM EDT
[#2]
That would work just fine.  I'll look for a side mount and give it a shot with my existing scope (from a rifle I rarely use).

I could handle slightly more than an inch variance.  I'll check it out.

Thanks RS39!

Logistar
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 4:19:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out the MTK75 (Tantal is one source, about $35), includes integral 1" rings. Mine worked great until I killed my original Leapers compact on it, and I can't believe a $20 POS scope lasted several years on an AK.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top