Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2002 3:17:50 PM EDT
I was thinking of getting one. Does anyone have/use one? Any opinions of it, good or bad?

www.ultimak.com/
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 1:44:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I am ordering one for a Mini-14 tomorrow.  It looks like it will be a great set-up for the Mini, and not too bad on the AK
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 4:40:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow! Almost 5 months for someone to reply!!!!
A new record - but then it is a leftover from the AK site.....

I didn't know it would fit a Mini-14.

Edit: Ok, just went to the website. (haven't been since I originally posted this)
It's new. That does look sharp! Makes the Mini-14 look a lot better!

Link Posted: 9/8/2002 5:00:33 PM EDT
[#3]
LOL, I just found out about them today and did a search here, because, as you should know this is the definitive source for all firearms info.  I am surprised you didn't have any responses either.
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 3:48:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I have read about this mount from the "other" AK site and have found most posts to be positive.  The only real negative was that after three or so mags in fired in rapid succession, the mount created heat difficulties for the shooter.  I have chosen to order one anyhow for my AK.  I am considering one for my Ruger Ranch rifle as well.  You may want to check out www.gunsnet.net/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=129467&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending  Here you can read about other's experiances with the product.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 7:13:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have read about this mount from the "other" AK site and have found most posts to be positive.  The only real negative was that after three or so mags in fired in rapid succession, the mount created heat difficulties for the shooter.  I have chosen to order one anyhow for my AK.  I am considering one for my Ruger Ranch rifle as well.  You may want to check out www.gunsnet.net/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=129467&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending  Here you can read about other's experiances with the product.

Regards,
Gary

LastDefender - Thanks for the link!
Like your sig line!!!!

s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 3:24:47 AM EDT
[#6]
You are most welcome.  I wish you good luck with your rifle.  Let me know how the mount works out.

REgards,
Gary
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 7:23:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Hey guys!

Just stumbled on this issue... it gets discussed about every other week on "that other board," so I didn't think to look for it here.

I have been running an UltiMak on my SAR-2 for a months now. Much of the heat-buildup issue is overstated, usually by folks who have never used this product for themselves. It takes a lot of rapid fire to get the mount heated up, and by that time the lower HG is too hot to handle as well... I've got a $30 Simmons red-dot on the mount, and it has never had a problem handling the heat. Even when the mount gets hot, the optic stays cool. If you're still worried, you could always go with a "ruggedized" optic like an Aimpoint COMP ML2.

This sight setup is probably the best fast-acquisition system for the AKs out there. And yes, I've owned the infamous Kobras. They don't hold a candle to the UltiMak in terms of comfort and functionality. Especially if you're a cross-over from the AR world and like to co-witness your iron sights with your red dot.

Link Posted: 10/2/2002 7:52:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Hey guys!

Just stumbled on this issue... it gets discussed about every other week on "that other board," so I didn't think to look for it here.

I have been running an UltiMak on my SAR-2 for a months now. Much of the heat-buildup issue is overstated, usually by folks who have never used this product for themselves. It takes a lot of rapid fire to get the mount heated up, and by that time the lower HG is too hot to handle as well... I've got a $30 Simmons red-dot on the mount, and it has never had a problem handling the heat. Even when the mount gets hot, the optic stays cool. If you're still worried, you could always go with a "ruggedized" optic like an Aimpoint COMP ML2.

This sight setup is probably the best fast-acquisition system for the AKs out there. And yes, I've owned the infamous Kobras. They don't hold a candle to the UltiMak in terms of comfort and functionality. Especially if you're a cross-over from the AR world and like to co-witness your iron sights with your red dot.

home.indy.net/~shooter2/graphics/sar2_right.jpg

I used a $30 BSA dot on my SAR-1 (Same as the Simmons, or any other "cheap china dot"), I agree with how that works for AKs.
I hated the iron sights, the cheap-o red dot works perfectly for the plinking fun with an AK!
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 4:58:21 PM EDT
[#9]
The pic on the Ultimak site of the iron sights showing through the red dot is mind blowing to me. Never had any experience with this kind of sights, is this possible???
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 5:10:54 PM EDT
[#10]
It works for me:

Link Posted: 10/14/2002 6:03:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Cableas? has their Pine Ridge brand red dot with 4 diff. dial in dots for about 180$. I believe you get what you pay for but I dont want to spend a pile of money, any one used one of these and do you know the manufacture?
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 7:33:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Hayboy:

Not only is it POSSIBLE, but that's what the UltiMak was *intended* to do! Co-witnessing (ability to use iron and dot sights separately or in conjunction) has been popular with AR-15 users for years, and is the best route to go for a number of reasons. Until UltiMak came along, there simply wasn't a system that allowed for this on an AK-style rifle.

Link Posted: 10/16/2002 4:01:03 PM EDT
[#13]
DavidC, what kind of red dot is that in the picture?
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 9:34:25 PM EDT
[#14]
That's a 30mm PDP 3. Currently I have a 45 mm PDP 6 on it.

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top