Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/20/2013 4:26:34 AM EDT
I was thinking of getting an RS Products BM-1 AK Barrel Mount-    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XRSBM1&name=RS+Products+BM-1+AK+Barrel+Mount&groupid=64  
for mounting a compact light and laser combo unit. One concern is any thermal affects a hot barrel might have on the mount. I have only one other rail system (over the bolt cover) as I wanted to keep the wood furniture look as much as possible. Any suggestions from you all on that mount system or what other options I might have? Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 5:42:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, if you are doing consistant back to back mag dumps, your bbl will heat up...  

Most mounts are made of Metals Aluminum or steel which are both good thermal conductors...

So it is fair to postulate that anything attached to that hot barrel l(ike the mount) will also heat up and then transfer the heat to whatever is mounted.

How many rounds over how long a period to reach critical heat temperature for your electronics is anyone's guess.

,    ...
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:59:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply Bigger_Hammer. I'm not anticipating running through 500 rounds in 10 minutes so maybe my concerns are overboard. I just know with heat comes thermal expansion and was also wondering if the mount would loosen. Haven't seen any examples of bbl mount applications from any members on this site, so I thought I would post.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 8:02:41 PM EDT
[#3]
If you don't intend on getting a quad rail to mount an afg or vfg, I don't see what would be so bad about that barrel mounted rail.  I have surefires and those lights get HOOOOOT, so as long as you get a decent light, heat transfer shouldn't be a problem.  Also, I would highly advise against getting a laser.  You really don't need one and it would really only give you more to work one.  More weight, more batteries needed to be bought, zeroing, having to turn it on with whatever els needs to be on.  If you plan on having a red dot, you really don't need it even more so.  Bottom line, I say get the barrel mounted rail, reconsider the laser.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top