Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/26/2011 9:13:24 PM EDT
I picked up a PK 23 scope from Eastwave last year to mount on my SGL-31, which I also got last year. Took out for a test run today (only second or third time I've used it), here are my initial impressions

––-It has a flickering red dot––-it works fine, no complaints, don't see a significant advantage over the steady dot––-the PK 23 produces a halo when the setting is on bright, which doesn't bother me (similar to Eotech halo)––-there are 10 settings from very low to very high

––-Batteries are fairly expensive and can't be found at every store––-accidentally left the scope on the lowest setting when I first got it (didn't know about the on-off switch on the front of the battery case), which drained the first set of batts real fast––-we'll see how long the new set of batts last (Energizer A76 - these are 1.5V, but Duracell 1.55V 303/357 batts also seem to work fine)

––-It seems to be robustly made, but time and hard use will tell

––-All the markings are in Russian, and the instructions are minimal

––-Hate the lens covers––-take way too long to take off and put on, definitely not designed for quick action, and I'm sure I'd lose them within a week in the field––-anyone have ideas for flip-up lens covers?

––-The side mount was super wobbly when I got it, but still managed to get it sighted in, seemed to shoot fine at close range––-finally figured out how to tighten it (thanks to a tacked thread in this forum), now it's super solid, no wiggle at all––-the side mount is fairly easy to install and remove, but it digs into my chest when I have the rifle slung on my chest (using old Viking Tactics sling), pretty uncomfortable––-scope seems to hold its zero when removed and remounted

––-The scope obscures the sight picture a bit, but can still co-witness with the stock irons, which is nice

––-My groups seem to be about as tight whether using irons or the PK, but I can acquire a target MUCH faster with the PK vs. irons, no contest––-this is the main reason I'll be keeping the scope, plus easier target acquisition in low light conditions

––-I'm worried about the lenses being scratched, they seem to get dusty fairly easily––-with regular field use I think I'd be wiping them off with my t-shirt a lot, which would lead to scratches, especially considering the crappy lens covers

Overall I think this scope is probably worth the money (~$200 shipped I think), but time will tell. My main concern is how long the batteries will last.

The SGL-31 is a sweet little shooter by the way. Zero stoppages so far (300 rds of Russian mil-surp), smooth trigger, minimal muzzle rise so follow up shots are fast, real nice build, everything is tight. Very happy with it.

I'll post a pic when I can find my digital cam.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 2:35:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I love my PK-23, never a single issue in 2+ years of use. The flickering dot is quick and easy for me to pick up and get on target.

I picked up a second PK-23 and I'm gonna put it in Mosin's new mount as soon as it's released.

You'll get longer battery life going with a single 1/3N battery.

I put Butler Creek flip-up lens covers on mine to protect the glass.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 10:17:27 AM EDT
[#2]
My wife runs one on her 74, it has been run hard at carbine courses and never failed, to me that is where you find out if your gear works, as far as the "halo"....you ever looked through one on a really bright day...or in a desert?...dont judge on what you see in your living room looking through it, I kinda wish it was brighter like an Aimpoint on high....overall i agree with Liquid,  and I need another one for the ATK 22
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 4:29:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I love my PK-23, never a single issue in 2+ years of use. The flickering dot is quick and easy for me to pick up and get on target.

I picked up a second PK-23 and I'm gonna put it in Mosin's new mount as soon as it's released.

Thanks for the suggestions about a single batt (didn't know they were available) and the Butler Creek lens covers. I'll look into those.

I thought I'd be annoyed by the flickering dot, but I barely notice it. Works just fine for me. As for the halo, I still saw it when shooting in fairly bright sun yesterday. But I kind of like it.

Like I said, overall I'm happy with the scope, but didn't feel like giving it an unqualified thumbs up was appropriate since I really haven't put it through any paces yet.

Hopefully it's waterproofing works, it's been raining like crazy here the last few months.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 7:15:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I used to think the PK-23 was strictly a civilian optic until I saw this pic from the Georgian conflict:

Really big pic

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 8:00:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I've seen this before but only just now noticed the PK23... and that both the captives and and some of the captors are wearing what looks like MARPAT

Z
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 8:00:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the suggestions about a single batt (didn't know they were available) and the Butler Creek lens covers. I'll look into those.

I thought I'd be annoyed by the flickering dot, but I barely notice it. Works just fine for me. As for the halo, I still saw it when shooting in fairly bright sun yesterday. But I kind of like it.

Like I said, overall I'm happy with the scope, but didn't feel like giving it an unqualified thumbs up was appropriate since I really haven't put it through any paces yet.

Hopefully it's waterproofing works, it's been raining like crazy here the last few months.

..FWIW, the "waterproof" aspect is dubious, the last carbine class we ran there was a downpour of 3" in about an hour, the occular filled with water and ever so slightly fogged, however it NEVER FAILED and dryed out in about a day or so and continues to perform...run it in the rain with confidence
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:11:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I used to think the PK-23 was strictly a civilian optic until I saw this pic from the Georgian conflict:

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz359/Liquidmetalpics/eee0d413.jpg

Really big pic

They could easily be South Ossetian or Abkhazian militia rather than Russian. I don't believe that Russian mountain troops use the edelweiss and I don't know enough about the Georgian military to say either way.

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top