Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/15/2011 11:53:07 PM EDT
Is it worth spending the extra $30 or so for the Midwest Industries Quad rail over the UTG? Also if I went with the MI rail what rail covers would do best? Mag Pul?
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 11:54:54 PM EDT
[#1]
This is for a Draco btw.
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 11:55:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Is it worth spending the extra $30 or so for the Midwest Industries Quad rail over the UTG? Also if I went with the MI rail what rail covers would do best? Mag Pul?

Yes.....and Magpul will work just fine.
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 12:48:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Do you happen to know if the rails are 6.5 inches or not? I need to know if I should buy the full 6.5 inch cover or the singles in the four pack. I didn't want to have to cut them. Also, if there are any better rail covers out there please recommend some. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 10:28:38 PM EDT
[#4]
One magpul XT cover fits each side of my MI AK rail great. Oh and yes the MI is going to be a much much nicer piece than the UTG and I am sure it will be at least half the weight. Plus US palm now makes top covers that co-witness with various optics.
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 2:51:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 5:09:26 AM EDT
[#6]
The MI rail is a much nicer set up. The macine work on the UTG is actually nice, but the design is no where close to the MI rail.  I have three of the UTG rails, but I bought them to convert to just a lower handguard.
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 10:18:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Can you still look down the sights with the MI top guard and no optic? I've been looking at the MI products and they seem much better quality than the UTG. And yes, I've been looking at the US palm top also but, I'm not sure which optic out of the line up I would want to use. I like the fastfire 2 but, I don't want this AK to turn into a money pit like my WASR. I still have some research to do on the other ones. Nice stuff btw!
Link Posted: 2/18/2011 3:10:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, you can see the sights perfectly over the standard rail that comes with the MI handguards.
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 1:57:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Tapco rail covers are a lot cheaper than, well, just about anything else.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 6:39:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I've had both MI and UTG rails.  There is nothing wrong with the UTG rails, and will likely serve you well.  On the other hand, I've also found that MI has found a very nice balance between price and quality/workmanship of their stuff.  MI stuff is some of the most affordable and very good quality gear, so if you can spring for a little more to get the MI, you should do that.  If you just can't swing the cash don't feel bad about getting the UTG.  It'll work for you too.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 3:01:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I like the MI system. Biggest downside is not being able to remove the gas tube once the system is installed.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:25:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Will Larue index clips work with the M I rail
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:30:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Will Larue index clips work with the M I rail

Yes
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 6:11:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Are you guys using the loctite on your MI rails?
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 7:04:45 PM EDT
[#15]
^Yes, but I used my blue gluestick style loctite since its thicker.

I had a UTG rail on my Bushmaster, the rails aren't deburred and are pretty sharp.  It was solid but the screws going into cheap aluminum probably wouldnt last very long.

I have the MI on my WASR and love it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 7:06:09 PM EDT
[#16]
^Yes, but I used my blue gluestick style loctite since its thicker.

I had a UTG rail on my Bushmaster, the rails aren't deburred and are pretty sharp.  It was solid but the screws going into cheap aluminum probably wouldnt last very long.

I have the MI on my WASR and love it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 7:55:28 PM EDT
[#17]
That makes the top permanent, correct? How do you clean the gas tube?
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 7:56:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Will any PA micro dot work with the MI Palm TI  top half ? Co-witness ?
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 6:36:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Hi all I really like this Midwest rail, is true that the rail affects accuracy like NUTNFACY stated on his vid?  I dont understand how a rail would affect accuracy?  Now once installed with loctite how often would you clean the gas tube if not shooting with corrosive ammo?
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 7:07:52 AM EDT
[#20]
I wouldn't listen to anything Nutnfancy says...he is a tool bag.

It could affect accuracy because it clamps to the barrel.  I noticed no shift in POI after installing it so I figure it is fine.

Also if you aren't shooting corrosive ammo you really never need to clean the gas port/tube. You can just clean it with it installed anyways...
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:58:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Nevermind, I think I was confused there. I was under the impression you couldn't remove the upperguard and tube from the gun once it was installed but, you can still take the assembly out correct?

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:39:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I've been trying to find a MI AK rail system for a while!!
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:36:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Got mine on backorder.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Nevermind, I think I was confused there. I was under the impression you couldn't remove the upperguard and tube from the gun once it was installed but, you can still take the assembly out correct?

You cannot remove the hand guard or gas tube, but of course you can remove the bolt carrier/ gas piston assembly. Once you do that you can clean it like from the receiver end.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:29:25 AM EDT
[#25]
So once installed it's never coming off? The problem I'm having is that I've got a MI on order but, mabey sometime in the future I might want to upgrade to the US palm upper for a fixed sight. What would you do?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:38:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:34:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Any chance of the "Yugo" version fitting on a Saiga? (223 version). The extra length might lesson the effect of no lug under the gas block - I'm too lazy to swap blocks.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top