Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2011 11:47:16 AM EDT
I recently aquired a Vortex SPARC from a friend for my Saiga SGL-21.  What do you think is my best mounting option?

I like the TWS dogleg mount for this type of optic, because I am not sure I will like forward mounting of the optic.
http://www.texasweaponsystems.com/id1.html

However, this would be a waste of money if I decide to get a Lightning Bolt for left-hand charging later on, due to having to use their modified dustcover.
http://www.coloradoshootingsports.com/aklightningbolt.html

It has been suggested that I go with the Ultimak mount by a friend, but I am concerned about the heat from the gas tube.  I really like that new rail, but boy is that getting expensive to have both the rail and optics mount!
http://www.ultimak.com/ACR2.htm
http://www.ultimak.com/m2-b.htm

So I was leaning toward the Midwest Industries setup if I was going to have to go with a forward mount.  The old side mount doesn't really interest me.  It looks like a stout setup for the money that will also allow for mounting of a light.  
http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=391

What say the "peanut gallery"?
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 1:59:24 PM EDT
[#1]
The Ultimak is the only way to roll.  Get the gas tube one only, dont worry about the lower.  

It will not bake the SPARC and just in case it ever does Vortex will replace it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 6:49:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I use a Midwest Industries hand guard system, my SPARC came as a package with it

its a very solid mount and I am very pleased with it, I was holding solid zeros with no issue, however if you want a lower mount go with an ultimak

also: the sparc is meant to be mounted further forward since its a "both eyes open" type sight, so ultimak and midwest are your best bet
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 10:58:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Good to hear the SPARC won't get cooked with an Ultimak.  I kinda like the idea of the SPARC being mounted lower as well.
Link Posted: 1/8/2011 11:00:48 AM EDT
[#4]
then ultimak is your best bet! I had a problem with my Ultimak (I meant SPARC, sorry)in that it wouldn't work under 10 degrees F, so I sent it back, they sent me a new one but checked it by freezing it, testing its functionality, then cleaning it and shipping it to me, talk about customer service!  ya and it didn't cost me anything either
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 1:00:51 AM EDT
[#5]
...definitely good customer service!
Link Posted: 1/11/2011 1:33:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I think I might be going with the Ultimak setup.  Will the Ultimak allow the SPARC to cowitness with the iron sights?  I hear this is not possible with the MI system.
Link Posted: 1/11/2011 3:22:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Also, does one system allow for easier cleaning than the other?
Link Posted: 1/11/2011 4:18:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Also, does one system allow for easier cleaning than the other?

to clean the inside of the UltiMAK tube, just push a 12g shotgun mop in from the back.
Link Posted: 1/11/2011 7:30:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm a fan of the Midwest Industries rail system.  I'm converting all of my AK's over to this system (I used to use Ultimak's).  Here's a video review of the rail I posted.

Link Posted: 1/11/2011 7:46:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the info RyJones!

FAC...I just saw your video...damn I like that setup!  Just seems like the SPARC is the "odd man out" with this setup.  Maybe I ought to buy a different optic and save the SPARC for an AR carbine.
Link Posted: 1/11/2011 8:42:04 PM EDT
[#11]
So will the sparc cowitness on the ultimak?
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 5:16:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Nope, I think the optic itself sits low enough but the diode is at 6 o'clock so it won't allow co-witness. If you are dead set on the SPARC get a QD mount also so it can be easily removed if it shuts off or gets broken.

I was going to get a SPARC, but then Midway decided to force me to give them money by making Aimpoint micro R-1's 300$.
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 2:11:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, I think the optic itself sits low enough but the diode is at 6 o'clock so it won't allow co-witness. If you are dead set on the SPARC get a QD mount also so it can be easily removed if it shuts off or gets broken.

I was going to get a SPARC, but then Midway decided to force me to give them money by making Aimpoint micro R-1's 300$.

The only way to make it work is to move the rear sight higher until you can co-witness.  To me this defeats the purpose so I put the Sparc on the AR and the Strikefire on the AK which does allow co-witness.  I plan on using a Primary Arms micro in the future.
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 10:04:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only way to make it work is to move the rear sight higher until you can co-witness.  To me this defeats the purpose so I put the Sparc on the AR and the Strikefire on the AK which does allow co-witness.  I plan on using a Primary Arms micro in the future.

What ring did  you use to get co-witness with the strikefire?
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 2:42:10 PM EDT
[#15]
The lowest ring they offer and it works great, but its a pretty large optic.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 2:38:31 AM EDT
[#16]
I took the plunge and ordered the Ultimak.  I felt that it was bombproof and decided that I wanted to maintain the original look of my SGL21.  I also liked the ease of maintenance and not having a bunch of screws to worry about when taking the rail apart.  With the money I saved from the MI setup, I ordered some much needed AK and AR mags.  Despite my decision, the MI setup will probably end up on an AK74 when I make that purchase....it just seems to draw me!
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top