Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2010 8:42:26 AM EDT
I recently purchased an aimpoint M@ with the intention of putting it on the AK. I am trying to figure out if ultimak would be the best way to go.What would be the best low mounting ring for an aim point on an ulitmak?

I really like the idea of putting one on a side mount but reviews of the kalinka mounts look spotty. I don't want to spend a lot of money trying to determine the best mount. I really like the idea of the mount that one of the members here is developing but it looks like it might be a while and could be costly especially for an unproven mount.
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 11:35:54 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I really like the idea of putting one on a side mount but reviews of the kalinka mounts look spotty.

There is always K-Var's KV-04, a high quality mount with a proven record.  It's quality and design goes far beyond the BP-02 and the like coming out of Belarus or China.

I used the KV-04 with a SPOT red dot for a long time on a M70 before moving the SPOT over to my FAL.  I liked the set-up and had no issues with it whatsoever.

Some pics:

Link Posted: 10/17/2010 12:59:27 PM EDT
[#2]
that looks like a better made mount than the bp series. but the lack of chin weld  doesnt do much for me. I will look to see what k-var offers.http://www.ar15.com/forums/manageReply.html?b=4&f=56&t=131806&page=1#
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 1:19:13 PM EDT
[#3]
The weld fell midway between a cheek and a chin weld, very manageable.  The BP-02 doesn't sit any lower, I've compared them both side by side as I own both.
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 2:59:13 PM EDT
[#4]
you can purchase a BP02 mount and modify it as such; pictures are not mine. With the modified BP02 mount pictured, you have a much better check weld than with the Kv04 mount

Link Posted: 10/17/2010 7:40:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I have two Aimpoints mounted on two rifles.  I think the Ultimak is the best most practical way to mount one.  I used the Aimpoint ring that came with my CompC3 and mounted it to the Ultimak.  I can cowitness the iron sights in the lower 1/4.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 4:58:47 PM EDT
[#6]
i think i'm going to have to go ultimak+aimpoint low rings.I find it funny that there are a million companies making the same ar-15 QD mounts but nobody can make decent scope mounts for the most popular military rifle worldwide.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 5:15:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I understand your frustration.I would like a very low profile quick detach mount for the comp series.  The Micros work extremely well because aimpoint makes a quick detach lever which goes right onto the side of the micro and only costs between 30-40 bucks.  It's light too.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 5:26:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
i think i'm going to have to go ultimak+aimpoint low rings.I find it funny that there are a million companies making the same ar-15 QD mounts but nobody can make decent scope mounts for the most popular military rifle worldwide.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=56&t=129815

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 2:55:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have two Aimpoints mounted on two rifles.  I think the Ultimak is the best most practical way to mount one.  I used the Aimpoint ring that came with my CompC3 and mounted it to the Ultimak.  I can cowitness the iron sights in the lower 1/4.

Using the Ultimak saves the weight of the actual mount plus allows co-witnessing.  I just made the change and am happy with it.  The micro versions of the RDS are even better for this application.

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 5:37:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice looking rig.  I see it a lot here........do you ever shoot it or is this a "stock pix"?
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 2:16:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Nice looking rig.  I see it a lot here........do you ever shoot it or is this a "stock pix"?

Thanks!

I purchased this Krebs Custom AK103k about 5 years ago.  I have since added the folding stock, handguard with Angled Fore Grip and the Aimpoint. The Magpul CRT stock made a huge difference in shooting comfort and shouldering the rifle compared to the fixed-length stock that came with it (I prefer a short pull length).  I've used it in at least 3 IDPA carbine matches and take it out occassionally to run some rounds through it.  It has never had a failure of any kind and shoots about 2.5 MOA with Barnaul FMJ ammo.  I just picked up some Hornady V-Max ammo and will be giving that a try soon.

Link Posted: 10/20/2010 10:12:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm running an Aimpoint H-1 on an Ultimak.

Really like the set up - it's low profile and clean.

My question is how to Aimpoints hold up to the heat sitting on that rail?  I've heard lithium batteries deal with heat well, but what about the optic itself?

Thanks in advance

Drew

http://www.tacticalresponse.com/schedule.php
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 5:42:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice looking Yugo, Liquidmetal.

Doru, I have yet to hear of any Aimpoint failing on an Ultimak. I run the Micro myself  and could not possibly be happier. I TRIED to melt that bastard the first time out and couldn't do it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 7:18:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Come to think of it, has anyone had even a cheap red dot fail due to Ultimak heat?

I've got a H1 on one AK and a Primary Arms Microdot Gen 2 on another. No problems with either so far. Next time I'm out I'll try to heat up the Primary Arms.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 7:28:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Come to think of it, has anyone had even a cheap red dot fail due to Ultimak heat?

I've had my Ultimak-mounted Bushnell TRS-25 hot enough to fry an egg too many times to count.  No problems at all, after thousands of rounds it just keeps on trucking...

Link Posted: 10/23/2010 8:35:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I understand your frustration.I would like a very low profile quick detach mount for the comp series.  The Micros work extremely well because aimpoint makes a quick detach lever which goes right onto the side of the micro and only costs between 30-40 bucks.  It's light too.

Do these QD levers work on the cheaper micro red dot offerings out there? e.g., Primary Arms, Bushnell TRS-25?
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 8:38:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

I purchased this Krebs Custom AK103k about 5 years ago.  I have since added the folding stock, handguard with Angled Fore Grip and the Aimpoint. The Magpul CRT stock made a huge difference in shooting comfort and shouldering the rifle compared to the fixed-length stock that came with it (I prefer a short pull length).  I've used it in at least 3 IDPA carbine matches and take it out occassionally to run some rounds through it.  It has never had a failure of any kind and shoots about 2.5 MOA with Barnaul FMJ ammo.  I just picked up some Hornady V-Max ammo and will be giving that a try soon.

How short is that barrel with the brake?  I assume the brake is pinned/welded to meet the 16" overall length? I'm thinking of doing the same thing to a '74.  My only worry is cleaning the brake with it pinned in place. Any issues thus far with that?

Also, what's the range of length of pull you're getting with that Magpul stock, and did you have to modify the receiver to get the stock to fit, or is it just plug and play?
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 10:12:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

How short is that barrel with the brake?  I assume the brake is pinned/welded to meet the 16" overall length? I'm thinking of doing the same thing to a '74.  My only worry is cleaning the brake with it pinned in place. Any issues thus far with that?

Also, what's the range of length of pull you're getting with that Magpul stock, and did you have to modify the receiver to get the stock to fit, or is it just plug and play?

Barrel length is 16.5 inches with the brake pinned on.  No problems cleaning the brake.

The range of pull on the stock is the same as when it's mounted on an AR - it's a 6-position mil-spec buffer tube. On the AK, measured from the face of the trigger to the vertical center of the butt pad; 12, 12.75, 13.25, 14, 14.75 and 15.25 inches, from fully closed to fully extended. I usually run it fully collapsed or nearly so (first 2 notches).

Full info on the stock install can be found in this thread.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 4:57:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

Barrel length is 16.5 inches with the brake pinned on.  No problems cleaning the brake.

The range of pull on the stock is the same as when it's mounted on an AR - it's a 6-position mil-spec buffer tube. On the AK, measured from the face of the trigger to the vertical center of the butt pad; 12, 12.75, 13.25, 14, 14.75 and 15.25 inches, from fully closed to fully extended. I usually run it fully collapsed or nearly so (first 2 notches).

Full info on the stock install can be found in this thread.

What technique do you use to clean the brake?  Do you ever worry that too much carbon or rust  is building up in there or just let it be?
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 2:30:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Mine is like his - and for me I just spray the crap out of it with brake clean, #9 it with a rag/brass rod, and finally blow it dray with dry-lube.  No rust yet on mine.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:52:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Mine is like his - and for me I just spray the crap out of it with brake clean, #9 it with a rag/brass rod, and finally blow it dray with dry-lube.  No rust yet on mine.

Is your brake chrome-lined, and do you use corrosive or non-corrosive ammunition?  One concern with the brake cleaner is that it will remove some finishes like those that Arsenal uses.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 12:21:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Is the muzzle brake pinned just to the FSB, or did you drill all the way down and pin it to the barrel? I'd think you would have to do the latter.

Quoted:

Barrel length is 16.5 inches with the brake pinned on.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:07:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:09:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:54:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Great big plus 1 for Primary Arms.

I ordered the M1B mount for my SGL21 on Friday evening and it was at my house on Monday in the mail.  Warp speed shipping.

Got a CAA LVH47 lower and the combo went together just as they are made for each other.  Tight, well made mount and handguard.  The M3 CCO I put on top allows for cowitness with a normal cheekweld.  I do not know how I could have been happier.  BTW, the HG came from Optics Planet and I used a discount code and it had free shipping so the HG was just over $38 shipped......way lower than many places before shipping.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:58:51 PM EDT
[#26]
It's not an Aimpoint.  But I got my PA Gen 6 and MI/Palm rail in today and mounted them on a SAR.  It co-witnesses at all ranges that I set on the rear sight.  I will provide feed back when I get it to the range this weekend.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 10:29:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Great big plus 1 for Primary Arms.

I ordered the M1B mount for my SGL21 on Friday evening and it was at my house on Monday in the mail.  Warp speed shipping.

Got a CAA LVH47 lower and the combo went together just as they are made for each other.  Tight, well made mount and handguard.  The M3 CCO I put on top allows for cowitness with a normal cheekweld.  I do not know how I could have been happier.  BTW, the HG came from Optics Planet and I used a discount code and it had free shipping so the HG was just over $38 shipped......way lower than many places before shipping.

Care to share the discount code?  Be sure to post some pics of your setup.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top