Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/15/2010 11:51:19 AM EDT
I was going to go without a red dot on my tantal and just save up and get a SGL-31 with a russian red dot.  This is not that financially feasible anymore.  

So I was thinking of things I could do to my Tantal. I plan on getting a Vortex SPARC for a red dot.  Now what are my mounting options?

I like the looks of the Dog Leg rail system.  I am having doubts about the ultimak rail system... plus does that even work on a Tantal?

What are some other options?
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 3:41:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had both (Dogleg first then Ultimak because I didn't want to do the permanent cutting of the top portion of the handguard retainer).  After waiting 6 months for the proper 5.45 peep to be developed and reach my door I chose to switchover to the tried and true Ultimak.  There's no flex in the Ultimak and tons of people run them with red dots with heat being the only issue (buy a legitimate optic and it won't be an issue).  The only reason I'd say to use a dogleg is if you need the optic to be closer to your eyes for the proper eye relief otherwise the Ultimak is cheaper, less flexible, and you can actually co-witness your sights.  And yes you can put either on a Tantal as shown below.
Before

After
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 5:40:23 PM EDT
[#2]
what do you mean by flex in the dog leg rail?
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 5:45:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Due to the length and thinness of the dogleg there is actual flex in it when you push and pull it vertically.  There seems to be adequate return to zero for everyone in the primary dogleg thread, but I wanted more peace of mind.
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 6:45:44 PM EDT
[#4]
What safety selector are you using? How do you like it compared to one of the Krebs style ones?

Link Posted: 4/16/2010 6:52:41 PM EDT
[#5]
That is a standard Tantal selector and it won't work as a safety selector on a semi unless modified.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 1:05:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That is a standard Tantal selector and it won't work as a safety selector on a semi unless modified.

huh... mine does
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 3:46:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah it works fine as a safety selector on my tantal, but since it's so small it's tough to get enough leverage to shift the gun into fire with it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:08:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I am sorry, I was thinking of the rifles built on a standard AK74 type receiver, not the one made for the Tantal.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top