Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2009 11:41:29 AM EDT
So I've done some searching, and I can't seem to find the answer(s) I need.

I just purchased a Belarus MTK-83 mount and side rail...not fond of the high mount, but I bought for a decent deal to hack on a bit and experiment.  Anyway, first question:

1) Are there any templates available for locating the side rail on the receiver?

2) I'm embarassed to ask this , but how exactly does the mount lock to the rail?  I know it's a dovetail, and the throw lever provides tension...but when I've seen pics, I always assumed that pivoting the lever forward is "locked", and pivoting the lever CCW (looking down on the top of the rifle) to point rearward is "unlocked".  Looking at the mount I bought, the lever has a tab sticking up that engages a slot on the bottom of the mount, that prevents this CCW rotation (out and away from the receiver).  CW (again, looking down) tightens the mount, but you have to pivot CW towards the receiver...seems like it will interfere with the receiver.  Or am I just a total idiot?  (Wait...don't answer that last question...)

Here are pics:

––Otter
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 1:28:14 PM EDT
[#1]
In your pics, the lever is indeed in the locked position.  The tab on the lever is to prevent it from becoming inadvertently unlocked.  Pull down slightly on the lever until the tab clears the mount when unlocking.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:10:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!  Now it all makes sense.

So...anybody have info on locating the rail on the receiver?  

––Otter
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:50:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Align the top of the optic mount with the top rail of the receiver.  Should be perfectly parallel with each other...
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:19:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Your side plate is designed to be riveted to '74 type trunnion (AK 74, 5.45x39).
Rear hole of plate is lined up with front rear trunnion hole.
Plate is riveted through the trunnion parallel to top of receiver.
Rear trunnion rivet dictates the position of the plate.

If you have AKM 47 (7.62x39), you need '47 type side plate.
'47 type plate is longer than '74, and rear holes do not superimpose.

Either plate will fit milled receiver.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:37:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Richard257,

Thanks for the info...I've ended up with the wrong side plate then.  Dang.  Oh well.  

Just saw you are also from MI...whereabouts?  I'm in the metro Detroit area.

––Otter
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:45:53 AM EDT
[#6]
If you want an easy DIY rail consider the MPK2 from Tantal.  It's a quality piece.  I've installed 4 of them on my rifles and have been very happy with the results.  Just another option to consider...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:09:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Metro Detroit too.
Shoot mostly at Long Island Range.

You need rail like this:

I purchased several of these plates more than a year ago from Shotplus.com.
These are longer and correct type for AKM 47 trunnion.
I don't know if they have any at this time. I do not go to their site anymore. Avira software prevents opening their page. My former AVG anti-virus software blocked the site too.

In order not to compromise your security, this page will not be accessed

A virus or unwanted program has been detected
in the HTTP data on the requested page.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Requested URL: http://shotplus.com/
Information Contains recognition pattern of the HTML/Crypted.Gen HTML script virus

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Generated by AntiVir WebGuard 9.0.5.0, AVE 8.2.0.187, VDF 7.1.4.98

Similar looking plates sold by East Wave Products and Good Optics will not fit AKM '47 trunnion.
Those are for AK 74 and milled AK 47.

Vendors are out of 47 rivet  through the trunnion plates, therefore builders are using one-size-fits-all MP K2, which screw or rivet to the receiver only.
I  positively, without any reservation do not recommend those.

I will go through the stack of receipts in the evening and try to find phone number to Shotplus.
If I find it, I'll post it here.
I have no intention of disabling my anti-virus software just to login to that  site.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:26:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Do you mean Island Lake range?  That's where I shoot also (much too infrequently).

What's your reservation about the MPK2?  have you had some bad experience with it?

––Otter
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:17:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Is it called Island Lake? Across Kensington Park.
OK, it's there where I shoot.
I would never install such unconventional, one-size-fits-all plate that is not supported by the trunnion
on my rifle, or buy a rifle with such a plate.
I have no objections, and it does not bother me at all, when others install them on their guns.
I do not wish to offend anyone and start a flame war, by expressing my adamant disdain for them.
They're simply ugly, good reason as any as far as I'm concerned.

ETA:  I just checked Kalinka web site. They have BMP -1 side rails that I've been looking for.
Placed an order for few of those and some 74 MPs.
BMP-1 is undeniably better  than MP K2.

http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=40

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:03:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Do you mean Island Lake range?  That's where I shoot also (much too infrequently).

What's your reservation about the MPK2?  have you had some bad experience with it?

––Otter

I went to a local builder and asked them to rivet a side rail on my 47, they  put on an MPK2 and I was cool with it until I realized that the ramp on the rearward side of the rail allowed a person to slide a mount too far forward on the rail since there was no right angle for it to butt against. So everytime I put the optics back on after field stripping the rifle I lose zero. Hell if the optics mount is pushed too far forward up the ramp it can be clamped down crooked. Its useless for me. I need to buy another siderail (If I can find one)  and take it to back to the builder get them to grind off the rivets on that POS and put the new one on. Or I might just say F it and ring mount my PK23 to an Ulitmak optics rail. It will be interesting to see how many rounds it takes to cook the watch batteries from the gas tube heat transfer.

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 12:14:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's THE best source I know of.  Should answer all your questions  

http://www.tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/rail_install.html

Also, check their base page for all things optical.  You can learn more than you need to know :-)

> > > The first box to click on has some valuable info on tightening up these BP02 style levers!
http://www.tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/rail_install.html

Cheers,
Harv
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top